Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Year End Review 2021
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
As a second consecutive challenging year draws to a close, I have opened up the year-end review for your comments on our hobby in general and your own personal experiences in 2021. This year has been an improvement upon 2020 for many of us, although it's difficult to say when we can get back to pre-Covid behavior and things are still influx in many places. But people have learned to cope and card collectors have been resilient. The hobby has suffered in some places and grown by leaps and bounds in others. It hasn't gone away by a long shot.

So just a few questions for fun, nothing about trends or comparisons, just what you did and what you are doing with cards. Please leave comments to express any thoughts on the hobby or talk about your collecting experiences this past year.

As always Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. More to the point, best wishes for good health and better days ahead.

Question:
Were you able to personally attend any card or hobby shows in 2021?

Choices:
Yes, one or two.
Yes, more than 2.
No.

Question:
Not counting price outs, were you able to acquire most of the cards that you wanted in 2021?

Choices:
Yes, I picked up almost all that I wanted.
No, I wasn't able to get much of what I wanted.
I didn't try to buy many cards in 2021.

Question:
How did you get the majority of your new cards in 2021?

Choices:
In person at hobby stores or shows.
Via eBay or other internet platforms.
Direct dealer or card maker sales.
Trading or buying from other collectors.

Question:
Excluding full or part time dealers, in 2021 have you sold or traded cards solely based on making profits?

Choices:
Yes, lots.
Yes, but just a few.
No, except for a couple too good to pass up.
No, none.

Question:
Which did you buy more of in 2021, new cards just made or old cards released years ago?

Choices:
Mostly cards released in 2020 and 2021.
Mostly cards produced between 2001 and 2019.
Mostly cards made in the 1990's.
Mostly pre-90's or vintage cards.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There were no shows in my area other than one of the flea markets which started up again in late summer. I didn't find any cards there that time.

I've had to be frugal this year so I didn't buy a lot - just some promo packs and singles mostly, some being good bargains. I traded once or twice.

I sold just a few extras.

I like buying older cards from 1990-2008 mostly but I picked up a few older things and a couple of more recent ones.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Just went to a few smaller card show in the last part of 2021. It took a little while to get used to seeing so many people and digging through boxes again though.

Regularly stop at comic shops to look for cards, but that’s very hit and miss. Mostly misses actually. But I did find 2021 Topps Chrome WWE, Star Wars, and a few older Marvel & DC packs along with some singles. The struggle is having to ask about them. Most of the people working at comic shops think it’s a dead hobby from the 1990’s. But the asking puts it into their mind. They might remember seeing cards in the back or they might pick up some cards when costumers try to offload stuff instead of throwing them away. It’s the next go around to the comic shops when I tend to find more stuff.

But mainly it’s just eBay looking for mainly Marvel stuff from the early 2000’s to about the mid-2010’s.

And, of course, looking for Non-Sport Update magazine at B&N Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's tough finding a selection of non-sports in my area but there was more for sale this year than last and more last year than previously. I think they were getting requests and started trying a few boxes and it sold well enough to keep doing it. I noticed one sports card shop raised the price on The Mandalorian Season 1 to $175.

Yeah, I get my NSU primarily at B&N but I saw it at another sports card shop a couple of months ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Regularly stop at comic shops to look for cards, but that’s very hit and miss. Mostly misses actually. But I did find 2021 Topps Chrome WWE, Star Wars, and a few older Marvel & DC packs along with some singles. The struggle is having to ask about them. Most of the people working at comic shops think it’s a dead hobby from the 1990’s. But the asking puts it into their mind. They might remember seeing cards in the back or they might pick up some cards when costumers try to offload stuff instead of throwing them away. It’s the next go around to the comic shops when I tend to find more stuff.

But mainly it’s just eBay looking for mainly Marvel stuff from the early 2000’s to about the mid-2010’s.

And, of course, looking for Non-Sport Update magazine at B&N Wink

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
No shows anywhere near me, not that it matters as being in poor health I don't travel far from home, so never went to shows even before covid.

I found myself looking for occasional autograph cards of actors/characters I like from past sets. A couple of Xena ones, James Bond, and other bits and pieces that were really cheap. It was nice to go back to sets and add to them.

I only sold on a Mandalorian season 1 autograph because it had doubled in the space of a few months and for a sticker autograph from a set that was too pricey to really get into, it just made sense to sell on and put the extra into other things. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Direct card shows are a bit rare in my area but I did count conventions that had card sellers.

Have gotten very tired of repetitive titles that offer nothing new. Trek, Bond and Star Wars are all stagnant pond water.

Pop Century is still the freshest and ugliest product out there. Unfortunately case prices don't justify what's inside. Really glad my case order got cancelled. Even at a bargain it was too much.

Upper Deck (as much as I hate them) seem to keep rolling out little surprises even if they do go straight to e-pack. Again several titles are going to roll on into 22.

Independent kick starters such as RRParks, Attic and RJF have been putting out the most fun stuff for me.

I have been feeling the need for a break for at least a couple years now. Between the new collecting bubble along with ebay taxes and shipping I think it's time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Because of my own slow natural evolution and the fast changes coming with Covid, my days of hitting card shows and flea markets are over, sorry to say.

Thankfully I can still get to my LHS and was able to keep up with my two main titles through both the store and a couple of favorite dealers I always turn to. I did get most of what I wanted in 2021, but I bought mainly new products in big order spurts. The luxury of looking around is gone.

I don't know yet if I'm going to be interested in a lot coming out next year. It's hard to fill old holes unless I go back to eBay, which I don't want to do. I don't foresee selling anything, but 2022 may shape up as a lower point for me. Much of my card purchases this year went to the two Game of Thrones Iron sets and no more of it is mentioned in the January NSU Upcoming Card Releases, which may be a relief. It's easier to take a needed break when there is nothing new to buy. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Keeping up here with a few newer releases, always trying to catch up with older stuff. I found a way to buy stuff from the States that saves on postage somewhat, as well as tapping into 'stay at home' sellers. It's an unusual way to stay connected to family Cool

It's weird that some older titles are available slim to none, while others are almost begging to be given away in buckets. It appears the trading game is pretty well exhausted. The thrill of the chase is the only thing that keeps me in the game.

Dedication with a little luck is always a nice combination Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It has been an interesting year, but honestly I'm kinda bored.

Agree with mykdude -- too much repetition with Marvel, Star Wars, Bond, etc.

Then again I can see why other sets don't get made. I clicked on a 'Phantom' uncut chase sheet this morning on eBay that is numbered to 2500 copies. 2500 copies of just about anything in this hobby anymore -- outside of wax boxes -- in mind boggling.

The boom has been interesting in that a lot of stuff that has been hard to find started popping up -- I've been working on some vintage sets (1950s) and have seen a lot more cards for sale this year than in previous years.

Newer stuff (but still 10 years old) that I started chasing has also been popping up, but the asking prices have been elevated. I don't think the cards I'm searching for are selling, but you can't find anyone willing to sell for anything but top dollar (more than top dollar, actually).

I've been picking up a few cards from Pop Century. I always enjoy that release, but am not a big fan of the design.

One trend I absolutely loathe is masks/covid. I won't by a sketch or autograph card that features covid, masks or anything of the like. Not happening.

I've slowed down buying on ePack considerably. Paying retail+ isn't very fun, especially when you have to pay extra for shipping, and many of the cards get dumped on COMC for far below cost. The biggest downer on ePack though has been the trades -- they used to be a fun value add, but now, for whatever reason, the VAST majority of trade offers I get are insanely bad. I actually have a negative reaction now when I get an email telling me I have a trade offer. Don't get me wrong, there always have been a lot of trash trade offers, but there used to be enough good trade offers that it worked out. . . It used to be maybe 80% bad, 20% good, now it is 98% bad, and literally 1 out of 50 is worth even considering.

As far as shows I haven't gone to any in a while, but at this point that has more to do with not having any success at shows in the last several years. If I were near any good shows I would definitely go.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
This year has been just an insane mixed bag for me I don’t know where to begin. The only “new” sets I have worked on were umbrella academy and I guess you can say the Star Trek art of women set (but I ending up purchasing the base, and low level inserts and a dozen autographs for the price of a box. I finally have a master list of what I am looking for but have been slowly chipping away at it. Most are out of my price range or can’t find when I have the time.
There is a small time guy trying to put on shows every 6 to 8 weeks around Mississippi and I have hit several of them. When I find cards they are way overpriced except for one sports card seller who had a Nancy Cartwright Simpsons autograph and a Simpson sketch card for 20 and 10 dollars. Also had a Batman behind armor card and Superman returns briefs card. That was an incredible find.
I don’t really do much on epack. I have been using COMC to grab cards Infind interesting on the cheap. I used it to finish up my son’s 1966 Batman Red bat set. Need 4 to finish his black bat (the ones people have put a premium on by calling them rookie cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barobehere,

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a single card this year, much less a box or case. I'm sick of the price gouging (from individuals and companies). I refuse to pay what people are asking, especially for a card that was $10 a year ago, and is a common card. It is ridiculous. So I'm done, I'm out. I'll appreciate what I have already. I just will not collect anymore. It is sad, but I guess it will save me some money.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
I haven't bought a single card this year, much less a box or case. I'm sick of the price gouging (from individuals and companies). I refuse to pay what people are asking, especially for a card that was $10 a year ago, and is a common card. It is ridiculous. So I'm done, I'm out. I'll appreciate what I have already. I just will not collect anymore. It is sad, but I guess it will save me some money.

Awww, You just came back, or you came back while I was away for couple of years. And if you look carefully, you’ll see plenty of $10-$20 cards on FeeBay. Just forget it though if they’re Marvel.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This year has been a mixed bag for me .
There has not really been much available in the trade line for me , and E Bay has recently not been much better .
The year started off not too bad but trailed off in the latter part
My year was really destroyed by my NZ post Office drop box destroying some of my purchases of wich were some quiet rare cards And still not been resolved I have made theft charges but being stalled
The last quarter was not bad but slowed down but got some cards within my interests
Most purchases were through E Bay
Being International I notice that opposed to purchase costs wich for rarer cards within my interests I also think there is some price gouging, shipping costs have sharply risen I think this is brought on by the E Bay GSP through them 1 card can be up to $20 US this dose not help and is now spreading to the UK
But all in all not a bad year
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:

Awww, You just came back, or you came back while I was away for couple of years. And if you look carefully, you’ll see plenty of $10-$20 cards on FeeBay. Just forget it though if they’re Marvel.

Yeah, I'm just frustrated with the whole card thing right now. I know the hobby blew up with the pandemic (I still don't understand how that works btw, if people lost their jobs how can they buy cards? Honest question), but it has gotten ridiculous. Besides, my interests have gotten smaller, much smaller. I am interested in the new Doctor Who, but I will probably be priced out of that immediately. So, will I even try? Nope. Plus Rittenhouse, who used to be awesome now packs everything with fluff and charges insane amounts for their boxes that just don't hold value unless you get the "big ones" which are usually 50 or less per run. Just not worth it in my opinion. Such a shame. :-(

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I'm just frustrated with the whole card thing right now. I know the hobby blew up with the pandemic (I still don't understand how that works btw, if people lost their jobs how can they buy cards? Honest question), but it has gotten ridiculous. :-(

Honest answer . . . You need disposable income to buy trading cards in the first place and many card collectors and card speculators got more disposable income because of COVID economic policies than they had before.

The stock market made record profits last year. Wages have gone up, unemployment benefits went up till the subsidiary stopped in October, obligations were cut or delayed, and a third of workers are working from home and prefer it to stay that way. Certain sectors and certain people have done poorly, but the majority of the people that I know covering the whole spectrum have been doing quite well moneywise. And yes, the rich have gotten richer.

How well the hobby fares in the next couple of years depends on how well people fare, as we try to transition back to a normal economy without all this free money that is being used to prop up businesses and institutions. We are nowhere near out of this economically and paying for these trillion-dollar packages will be something when the bills come in. That's just my non-professional opinion from what I've seen.