Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Sports Cards for the Non Sports Collector
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sports Cards for the Non Sports Collector
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Trying to build a list of sports celebrities who have made the transition to films or entertainment. (I include wrestling as a sport)

Obviously having an autograph card in either category is a requirement for the list.

Currently I have:

John David Washington
Terry Bradshaw
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Jim Brown
The Rock
John Cena
Fred Williamson
OJ Simpson
Dick Butkus
Howie Long
Brian Bosworth

I am sure there are a bunch more.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Shaquille O'Neal (as Steel, a Superman spin-off in the comics). I assume he's had sports autograph cards.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Vinnie Jones (From Wimbledon FC and Wales football...he tended to kick his opponents more than the ball Big Grin ...to lots of TV and movies but I can only see a card for X-Men Last Stand)

Vijay Amritraj (From tennis to a few parts but nothing much else that matched his part on Octopussy, but he does have a card in a Star Trek set too)

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gina Carano

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Couple of nice people I had the pleasure to meet while they were here . . .

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper (yes I enjoy his lousy movies)

Joan Marie Laurer aka Chyna (Third Rock From The Sun)

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

(No autos, but Capt. Lou Albano, who had a few acting credits, was on UTK's football team for a while in 1952!)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

"If it bleeds, I can kill it."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Hulk Hogan and Bob Uecher.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kenny Florian MMA + Battlebots Announcer.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Did not know about Alex Karras, that's awesome!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Does Bob have an autograph card? Not sure I have seen one.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Dave Bautista

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Does Bob have an autograph card? Not sure I have seen one.

My bad, the best I can find is a signed Hall of Fame postcard. I assumed that with all the Legends signature cards in baseball products and those mixed sets he must have signed for somebody, but I guess not. There are plenty of in-person autographs, so he doesn't look rare. I'm sure at least Topps must have asked him.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thinking outside of the box a little but UFC legend Georges St-Pierre has dabbled in acting and has a Captain America autograph. Ray Park from X-Men and Star Wars (Darth Maul) is also a martial artist. And if you consider bodybuilding a sport you have Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know James Worthy played a Klingon in an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" but I didn't see an autograph card listed in any of the sets in the Beckett Non-Sports Almanac.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Although calling her an actress is a stretch I guess Ronda Rousey qualifies.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I do consider them especially St-Pierre. Arnold, Lou and Ray are already well embedded into non-sports culture.

I guess my thought was individuals that I would need to buy a sports card of if I wanted them for my non-sports collection.

But so far a great list!

quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Thinking outside of the box a little but UFC legend Georges St-Pierre has dabbled in acting and has a Captain America autograph. Ray Park from X-Men and Star Wars (Darth Maul) is also a martial artist. And if you consider bodybuilding a sport you have Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bob Uecker
link

link 2

Tradingcarddb lists dozens of James Worthy auto cards, and a few O. J. Simpson, but doesn't picture them to hotlink.

Howie Long had a bit of an acting career.

As did Bubba Smith

Fred Williamson had a long acting career.

Tiny Lister

Rosey Grier was in few movies

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember Howie Long being in a Glenn Frey video. In the 80's you could call that an acting job.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I remember Howie Long being in a Glenn Frey video. In the 80's you could call that an acting job.

He did try to break into the movies and actually starred in Firestorm, which I can remember seeing. He also had a bigger role in Broken Arrow, which I also saw. He was no worse than any of the other sports stars turned actors, but maybe he liked the broadcast booth better.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
In other words, you guys couldn't find any!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post