Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Autograph Authenticated (w/ Photo)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autograph Authenticated (w/ Photo)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Hi all,

Hope you've all enjoyed the holidays Smile

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get (As the title suggest) autographs authenticated?

I'm UK based if that helps.

I'm actually waiting on the autograph in the mail.

It's a signature on a page out of an autograph book & there isn't a COA (Hope I don't live to regret this Roll Eyes) so I'm hoping to get it certified (and sure hope it's certifiable! Eek)

Any help's much appreciated,

Cheers Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well this is a kind of controversial topic because many people, including myself, have a minimal amount of confidence in outside autograph authentication. I have seen more than a few signed cards and index cards in slabs that looked very bad to my "non-professional" eyes. Big Grin

The thing about autograph experts is that they rely mainly on examples of certified, authentic signatures to make their comparisons. A lay person can do exactly the same comparison, but often the signatures have many variations and you really need a knowledge of the person's signing habits or it looks like a fake. On the other hand, a first class forger can fool a lay person and an expert. Wink

Having said all that, a Google search will bring up at least a couple of companies still in business that will provide a measure of authentication for a fee. The two that I know of are Beckett Grading Services and PSA/DNA. Now they mainly do autographs related to sports figures, but I think they will acccept other celebrities also, it depends on the autograph you are getting and the type of item that is signed.

There are also specialized experts, but that is usually reserved for things like historical documents or persons.

If you decide to go this route, remember that authentication is only really necessary for re-sale assurance, not for something you intend to keep, and the value of the signature should be at least worth the cost of the process. Don't worry about not having a COA, the item can be just as fake with a fake COA attached, but if you have serious doubts and its a lot of money, make sure there is a good return policy if it gets rejected by an authentication service.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that info Raven!

Luckily it was not a stupid amount that I'd be devastated to lose Twak (I'd never pay out that kind of money).

It's a Katharine Hepburn autograph.

I was informed by the seller that it was a page from an autograph book & was part of a family collection and I purchased it online so I'll only see it 'in person' when it arrives.

I have no reason to doubt the seller's word! I've just never purchased an autograph without a COA but as you rightly said autos can be forged with COA's too Confused

I'll check out the services you recommended & see if it's worth the money when it arrives to get it checked out.

Thanks again Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of watchers of watchers
posted Hide Post
I agree, most Charlton Heston , Jimmy Stewart Jerry Lewis autographs among others that have been authenticated by PSA and JSA are in fact secretarial! Katharine Hepburn has a distinct signature and you should be able to do your own work on it there are many great examples out there, post a pic here and I would give you my opinion on it when you get it. Search ebay and look for signed letters to compare it with, dont use photos she has reportedly signed as she hardly ever signed photos she detested them, the only original ones I have seen were from her real early career.

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by watchers of watchers:
I agree, most Charlton Heston , Jimmy Stewart Jerry Lewis autographs among others that have been authenticated by PSA and JSA are in fact secretarial!

JSA, James Spence Authentications, is another company name that often comes up with autographs. He worked with PSA before starting his own business and is regarded as a leading expert, if you go by ads.

Yes, a lot of the vintage signatures are really secretarial. As an example, most of Joe DiMaggio's autographs were done by his sister and she was so good at it that its hard to tell the difference. Today's celebrities and sports stars just don't answer their mail. Wink

As for autograph experts, I once saw a slabbed index card with a signature that was straight off a rubber stamp. I guess it was an authentic rubber stamp. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've wondered similair things, as doing conventions over the years I have acquired a good number of celebrity autographs in person that I'd never sell, but that cost a small fortune in both money and time to get. When I kick off, who would ever believe that they are all real?

Even worse, I have some autographs that I picked up both through the mail, and through third party's that I no longer believe in. Because only I know which are which, doubts about one auto would probably colour an opinion of my whole collection. How do others handle it?

And while we are on about conventions, another grader is the CGC. I saw a tv show, and someone had some artists draw sketch covers on comics, and then had them certified by the cgc. Since the CGC didn't seem to be there other than to have a table for people to drop off submissions they'd get back a month or whatever later in the mail, how can they say that the artists or signer(s) in question really signed/sketched something? Did something important get editted out? --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar to "collector of things", some of my autographs were done in person and others came via sources of varying integrity. While I haven't made others completely aware of my collection and its details, I have a record of where most of them come from (mainly the non-IP ones). Most of my "celebrity" autographs aren't exactly big money and probably will never be, but at some point I'll need to make a written statement for whoever might inherit my belongings as to which items are legit and which may not be - they could then use that information to determine if they want them certified.

Since my autographs are for my enjoyment, I'm not concerned with any sort of certification. And I try my best to purchase items from the best sources possible so I don't have to be concerned with such worries.

Posts: 11 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to collect autographed photos from all sorts of different sources but in the last five years have stopped buying from all but two sellers I know personally and have complete faith in.Even with them I have seen items I am dubious about.

It's a real minefield and I just trust my instincts now rather than relying on experts and worthless COA's.I enjoy my collection and if I am unsure about the authenticty of some of the signatures at least the pictures are pretty Smile .

Regarding your original question I would not bother paying someone else to authenticate the signature,as pthers have said there are many examples of Katherine Hepburns signature out there you can compare for yourself.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks for great the feedback everyone - a real eye opener on the subject - When it arrive's I'll take the plunge and upload a photo for opinions & theories

Thanks again Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post

Here's a stock photo of the autograph I'm waiting to receive.

Any thoughts/theories/opinions? Confused

None of the emoticons do 'worried face' any justice Wink

Thanks all.

posted Hide Post
Now I am not saying its bad, but here are a few things that give me pause, the downward stroke at the top leg of the K, the way the K and A are connected, the crossing of the t and h show some hesitation, the way the end of hepburn the burn just hooks, up all I have seen have have bumps. I have only seen one other that comes close and I mean real close which gives more concern is that it was a signed book in the UK also? REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION I HAVE NO STAKE IN THIS AND AM NOT A AUTHENTICATOR JUST A COLLECTOR WHO DOES MY OWN RESEARCH.

Posts: 330 | Location: th,indiana,usa | Registered: June 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by watchers of watchers:
I have only seen one other that comes close and I mean real close which gives more concern is that it was a signed book in the UK also? REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION I HAVE NO STAKE IN THIS AND AM NOT A AUTHENTICATOR JUST A COLLECTOR WHO DOES MY OWN RESEARCH.

Don't worry I know everyone will have their opinions & thoughts - which is great so I appreciate the feedback. The item is in the UK so if it was genuine a few theories could be (1) If it's been in the sellers family & could have been brought over in the autograph book from elsewhere like the USA, (2) Katharine did spend some time in England for various reasons so might not be beyond the relams of possibility?? Aside from that I'm short on theories atm haha.

Do you happen to have a photo example of the other autograph you said was similar to this one?

Thanks.

Ps. Another factor I thought of(If it was/is genuine) is her age & how peoples writing changes over the years.

posted Hide Post
That is the Feebay item number I dont have a hosting site for pics so you have to go there and look , hope that helps!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Here's a stock photo of the autograph I'm waiting to receive.

When you say stock photo, do you mean that this is the ACTUAL photo of the item you're getting? I ask because stock photo means a generic picture to me, not the specific item.

I have no first hand knowledge of her autograph so I won't express any opinion, but it would help if you knew about when this would have been signed. Hepburn lived a long life and she had some palsy in her later years, so I imagine that her signature changed quite a lot, depending on when it was supposed to have been signed.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
It certainly doesn't look like it would be an easy to fake signature. Many fake signatures look like they were written by a 12 year old. You'll probably never REALLY know for sure. I have the same thing with a Barbara Stanwyck signature I bought on ebay, hers would be a difficult signature to fake, so I think it's real. Yours probably is too.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
As many have said the problem with buying Auto's is you never really know if it is genuine, the only auto's I know are real are those I have had signed personally or have received from a close friend who sometimes gets them for me. As I am not buying for future value it's not a big deal. Even a certificate of authenticity is only a piece of paper signed by somebody else saying the auto is real!! Once you get on e-bay you are taking a chance, it could be the real thing or not - it's a gamble.

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

When you say stock photo, do you mean that this is the ACTUAL photo of the item you're getting? I ask because stock photo means a generic picture to me, not the specific item.

I have no first hand knowledge of her autograph so I won't express any opinion, but it would help if you knew about when this would have been signed. Hepburn lived a long life and she had some palsy in her later years, so I imagine that her signature changed quite a lot, depending on when it was supposed to have been signed.

haha must rethink my definition of 'stock' photo - yes this is the image of the actual item as provided by the seller so my own photo - when the item arrives - will be pretty much the same but diff. angle.

Good idea I'll message & see if they know roughly when it might have been signed.

Thanks to Jane & Hammer for the feedback too!

Thanks all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,