Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Inkworks Sketch Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks Sketch Cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted
There's been some Robots sketch cards on that certain site that are not numbered like all the pack inserted sketch cards and what's shown on Inkworks' site. They obviously were from their over stock/extras that were sold off when they went out of business.

Since they are on official card stock would you consider them part of the set or not because they're not numbered like they were promoted and were never intended to get out to collectors (Collecting for the novelty and not because you're a completiest)? Opinions?

Maybe this deserves a poll? We'll see.

Ttyl, Tim

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I saw those cards in my daily sketch search, and wondered where they had come from. I don't collect that particular set, but if I did, I'd consider them part of the set. Just my opinion, for what's it's worth (I'd say at least 3 cents).

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I think a majority of these cards where held back due to licensing concerns, Uncle Allan did say that they gave him fits on approvals for the second Family Guy set. I welcome them as additions to my sets.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would regard any sketch on official card stock with all the proper logos to be part of the set whether it ever made it into packs or not.

What with sketches held back as replacement inventory, artist's returns/proofs, promotions etc., its hard for a third party to absolutely know a few years later where anything came from, so as long as it has all the earmarks why shouldn't it be considered part of the set?

Someone will say because it may have never been packed, but incentives are generally not inserted, yet they are still part of the set when you want that master. Wink

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I agree that's the common thing for companies to do, holding back a certain amount for damaged, dud boxes, etc., but most companies don't list the quanities by each artist. Inkworks hand wrote on each card the number of the card and the total by the artist (ie: 34/149).

The compeling part is even if you knew Otis Frampton did 100 cards for Complete Avengers, if RA held any back it was of the 100 he did and not anything above and beyond. Same with Inkworks, they held back cards for the typical reasons and if there was a replacement it was of the numbered cards.

Because they're not numbered we don't know if they were unapproved or showed up late. Which is why they weren't inserted into packs or used for replacements. Which is why I'm questioning if they should be considered part of the set.

It's good to hear different opinions, thanks for the feedback so far. Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
That explains why the seller has just sold about 50 Family Guy sketches.

I opened tons of Family Guy boxes and I pack pulled many unnumbered sketches. I thought it was just an error.

Obviously these latest sketches showing up on ebay are all from one place and I would still consider them part of the set. That being said, I missed out on 1 card that I really wanted. Maybe I will get another try 6 years from now.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The seller (well known to many on this board) also had 5-6 of the rare Simpsons Mania autographs listed at $250 each (or best offer). My weak offers of $150 or so for the 2 I wanted didn't cut it, and indeed they were all sold for $220 to $250 in a matter of hours. Those are definitely among the most valuable of all pack issued sketch cards, on average, and have truly held their value since being issued over 10 years ago.

I was however, able to get the Phil Hartman tribute card from Small Soldiers which has been one of my "grail" cards since I first heard of it. Phil had appeared in the film and apparently agreed to sign autographs for it, but was tragically murdered by his wife before that could happen. The card was turned into a tribute but was never issued. Apparently at least a few were in with these recent Family Guy and Robots sketches from the Inkworks Archive. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "happy" to have one given the circumstances that caused it existence, but I adored Phil on SNL and the Simpsons (he voiced Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure and would have been Zap Branigan on Futurama had he lived, the character was written for him), so I will cherish it as a tribute to the man, as it was intended.

And while on the subject, a look at the same seller's other items included some of the unissued (unsigned) autographs cards from the Sopranos set. Inkworks obviously had high hopes for the license and produced cards to be signed by James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Peter Bogdonovich, Lorraine Bracco, and Drea De Matteo, but alas, it wasn't to be for whatever reason. You have to think that had they been able to get signatures from the people above, there definitely would've been more than the one Sopranos set that was issued, with the less than stellar autograph lineup it held.

Finally, there were a couple of unissued (also unsigned) Alias TV series autograph cards in the recent listings including cards for Angela Basset and Lena Olin.

It's all pretty cool stuff, and it makes you wonder if any of the actors on those unsigned cards would be willing to sign them for a collector who is able to approach them with one (or perhaps through the mail), or if they would refuse the request.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
I too would count these as part of the set even though the cards were never issued into the boxes. Uncle Allan had told us that they had to pull numerous sketches that were not approved to be released in the set. I do remember a great Family Guy Justice League set done by Mark Dos Santos that was also never released.

The Sopranos autographs were a disaster for Inkworks. They really tried to get the big names to sign, but as Uncle Allen said getting them to sign was like working with, well "The Sopranos". You can not say he didn't try, some actors just do not want to sign.

It is funny how the topic of whether these cards count as part of the set or not, because they were never released in the boxes. I bought several Disney Holiday sketches a couple years ago that were never in the boxes but were part of the redemption sketches to be sent in. Obviously, most of these sketches were not released by Upper Deck because they were never redeemed. I was able to get a great Tinker Bell sketch with an actual redeemed redemption card. However, I did also buy several sketches by the same artist on the secondary market that were released "out the door" by Upper Deck. I was told by several people that these aren't part of the set because they were not in the boxes and released by Upper Deck.

Upper Deck released a picture of all their sketches for the set on their website for all the Disney Treasure sketches. Uncle Allan did the same with most of his products at the beginning as well. I do not see other companies ever issuing an entire gallery of their sketches on their web sites, just samples of each artist. I know it is probably almost impossible to do this anymore. However, my point is at least we know these cards were part of the original issue and approved for release. How can some cards be considered part of a set and other cards not? These were not commissioned sketches, after market sketches or a Shum or Waterhouse sketch card erased and redone by my 11 year old daughter.

To answer your question, Golden Avenger, include them as part of your set. If you enjoy them and want to collect them, than go ahead and include them with your set. Better they find a good home than sit in a box stored away somewhere never to be seen again.

Thumb Up

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Ha, that's funny. I'm actually the guy you got the Tinkerbell sketch (with Redemption) from. It was from Dorota Kotarba-Mendes. We were able to buy score of the Holiday Bobble Head sets that had the cards with them and lucked out in not only finding the Redemption card, but in finding it literally within a month or so of the expiration date.

Even so, it took Upper Deck months to send it to us, and I never truly believed we'd get the card until I had it in my hands. From the time the cards were issued, Upper Deck has moved from outside San Diego to Las Vegas, so I was afraid they were eventually going to tell us they'd lost them in the move.

Like you, I noticed the remaining cards from that artist were sold by a single seller who either bought them from Upper Deck or was selling them on Upper Deck's behalf. My feeling was, hey, at least they're out there, but who really knows exactly what all goes out in packs and what ends up going out the back (or side or front) door. Great to hear you were able to pick up some of those other sketches, what a collection you must have!

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post