Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question about storing cards in Binders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about storing cards in Binders
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted
Does this happen to anyone else?

As you can see the cards in the 9 pocket pages are not standing up straight. I thought that if the Binder was full enough they wouldn't do that Smile as you can see I was wrong Twak
It has even started to bend the Binder itself as you can see by this photo.

I have a few of the Buffy 10th Anniversary Binders which are full of random sets that I don't have Binders for.
So now I have the Binders lying on their sides in the hope that eventually it will get the bend out.
It seems it is only my 10th Ann. Binders that have this problem none of the thinner ones are bending, I think it's all the weight.
I'm not sure what to do now, storage wise, any thoughts would be very appreciated Angel

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
All my binders lie flat, i don't stand any of them up.

They are wrapped in bubble wrap and then sealed in plastic bags.

The downside of this of course is that they are not on show and if i want one i never know where it is except that it is in one of the stacks.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
So where do you store your cards? In boxes?

I guess the main reason I like them in the Binders is so that I can look at them easily, if they were all packed up in boxes I'd probably never look at them again Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oh the cards are in the binders in the 9 pocket pages.

The diffrence is that if you want to look at something you pick it off the shelf and look at it. If i want to look at something it takes me half an hour to find it. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
My binders are packed together too tightly to prevent them from 'warping'. Maybe you could put a heavy bookend up against them.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Binders aren't full enough?
As you can see in the photos, there is space still for more 9 pocket pages. But the pages are right up the edge of the straight part of the D ring, and I've read from other people who have had problems with the pages sitting to far forward and the rings putting dents in the cards.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I put a one pocket page at the front and back of a set and sometimes in the middle of a set is big enough and then fill front and back of binder with empty pages. I do this more to make sure nothing important presses up against the d-ring Smile
I would love to create a boohcase that included one pcket on it's side for each binder....so that they oculd all lay flat and seperate. That's my *dream room*

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

I would love to create a boohcase

Is this a case that jumps out and scares you? Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
there's not enough cards in the binder....go buy more cards Wink

I have that binder (with the full 7 season buffy set in it) and don't have that problem. I've seen a couple of my promo card binders do similar curling every now and again because of too much loose space (they're larger 4" D-Ring binders) but once more pages are added it seems to flatten out and go away.

On a bookcase note, my wife and I just got done redoing our binder wall last weekend! I'll be posting pics of it this weekend to show it off Big Grin

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Okay then, I have to fill them up with more cards.
Not a problem Big Grin

Thanks for the help everyone Thumb Up

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have all my cards in binders, as long as I can find pocket pages to fit. I don't stand them up for the same problems you are having. I just stack them on top of each other.

The cards stay flat and the pages don't bow, but the front covers have a habit of breaking at the seam. Then I have to replace the binder.

Moral of the story is, you can't win. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Juelle Lou, yes you can fill your binder up. You can also use thick card board as dividers.
Aoso if your only putting 1 or 2 sets in the binder use smaller binders. If you only need a 1" binder, don't use a 2" binder. You can buy book cases or build them, I build my own. It's a 6 shelve unit that hold 120 3' Binders, with a center support so the shelves dont bend. I have 3,4,5 & 6" binders on it, so far no bending of pages. If you find some space on the shelve after you put your binders up, use empty ultra pro page box's filled with pages of cards or fill the box with cardboard to take up the space.
I run out of room and need to build another shelves.

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WoofyTrades
posted Hide Post
quote:
binder wall

BINDER WALL?!? Eek

You now have my full attention. I have to see pictures of this!

Posts: 22 | Location: Non-Sport Forum | Registered: November 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WoofyTrades
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
All my binders lie flat, i don't stand any of them up.

They are wrapped in bubble wrap and then sealed in plastic bags.

The downside of this of course is that they are not on show and if i want one i never know where it is except that it is in one of the stacks.

Wolfie, I often thought about laying my binders flat. I'm a little reluctant to this method since I know storing certain paper items like books and comics flat can mess with the spine and in extreme cases messes with the binding.

How long have you been storing your binders flat? and how many do you stack on top of each other? and what kind of binders are you using?

Just curious because this is something I've been considering since I started collecting.

Posts: 22 | Location: Non-Sport Forum | Registered: November 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have been lying my binders flat for the last 10 years or more. Hard binders like Rittenhouse and padded binders like Inkworks.

There are stacks of 15 binders high, all full of cards, just remember to put the padded binders on the top of the stack with lots of protection around them.

I do not have any problems with the binders getting damaged in any way but keep in mind they are wrapped in bubble wrap and then sealed in plastic bags so each bag is like a padded bubble.

If the binder is worth a lot of money, ie: Goldeneye, then this is stacked somewhere else with nothing on top of it.

Picture of WoofyTrades
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight. I have a few standard Ultra Pro 3 ring binders that I think I'll store flat.

I think it's funny that there are binders out there that sell for more than a mini master set. I was looking at a Topps Clone Wars binder with an asking price of ~$80 but you can get a Clone Wars mini master for half the price.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thats because there are so many mini master sets and so few binders for the people who want one.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
The only real answer Juelle is a custom made book shelf. I built one a while back which holds 150 Ultra-Pro 9 pocket binders. With five binders to a section there is literally no room for binders to get out of shape.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
I was going through some threads here and found this useful thread, I wanted to add my solutions for card storage.

For regular cards I use the regular 9 pocket page binder. For sketch cards, autograph cards and inserts I use the Ultra PRO-binder (9 pocket page) that has room for 360 cards, the cards looks really good in this one. For costume/wardrobe cards I use the mini binder, 4 pocket page binder.

Here are some pics:

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those look really nice and it all seems to work well.