Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Fake Ebay seller.be aware!!!

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8807059216

November 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
drofdarb
Fake Ebay seller.be aware!!!
i checked out this guy's other sells though his feedback.. he sold a "Munsters 1964 Leaf unopened box 24 packs trading cards" for an amazing $4,179.00... hope that one wasnt fake otherwise someone got totally burnt..

unfortunately the evidence is not looking good for this guy..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180715909624
November 23, 2011, 07:59 PM
goldenavenger
I hope the other 2 Star Trek auto's were not fake. They sold for $500 and $550, and his description is about the same as the "known" fake one.
November 24, 2011, 03:21 AM
ajdedo
drofdarb - The Munsters box is a pretty amazing find, but not impossible. It would also be nearly impossible to fake. Sure someone can scan and print a single autograph card, but an entire box, wax packs, and set of cards? Highly unlikely. I would say that one is legit.

goldenavenger - I was the one that brought this seller to attention. I bought the "second" DeForest Kelley for $500, then I noticed this thread, and then I noticed that "other" Kelley for $550. Then I got worried. But I may have jumped the gun a bit. The Kelley I received looks perfectly fine to me. Nothing suspicious. And I contacted the first buyer (for $550) and asked him what he thought of his card, and if we could check to see if the signatures matched. The first buyer told me that he actually cancelled his purchase (for whatever reason) and never paid for or bought the card (but still left positive feedback). So in fact, this seller only had ONE DeForest Kelley card that he had relisted, not two. That made me feel better and realize that actually nothing unusual was going on. In fact, it was just all a series of unusual events and a bit of heightened suspicion.

I would give this seller a pass, and focus on the KNOWN scammer. The guy who ADMITTED selling fake auto cards and was proud of it. He should be outed.
November 24, 2011, 08:18 AM
beamer
Just curious, how did you contact the "first buyer"? eBay hides user names so that can't happen. Is there some way around it?
November 24, 2011, 10:34 AM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
Just curious, how did you contact the "first buyer"? eBay hides user names so that can't happen. Is there some way around it?


You can identify/contact them because they left feedback. From there just click on their feedback profile and go the the "contact member" on the right. I thought that eBay had done away with members being able to contact other members (that they had no business with) but apparently that's not so.
November 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
ajdedo
Yeah, exactly like Logan said. That's the easiest way, if they leave feedback then it's no problem. Otherwise your screwed.
November 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
treksearcher
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
someones bought it.Stay alert.theres nothing stopping this guy from trying these scams again!!!poor guy must think he has a bargain!!! Mad


I think I may know the buyer, will try and confirm this with him.
November 29, 2011, 04:13 PM
treksearcher
Checked with my friend and it was him who purchased the Shatner. However, probably as a result of members of NSU questioning the seller my friend was given a refund before the seller even sent the card with a message stating "there appears to be a question about the autographs authenticity"

So the good work of NSU members has avoided a "con" keep up the good work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: treksearcher,
November 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Stargaterules
Another one that scares me is one dealer selling Yoda & artoo AoTC auto's . If you check his feedback he has sold at least 10 Yoda's ( Frank Oz )and has more for sale . I haven't seen him list other auto's from the set . I have not contacted the seller nor do i know for a fact that something is wrong with them , but it does raise an eyebrow . He could have just horded them for all i know , Just be careful .
November 30, 2011, 05:58 AM
treksearcher
quote:
Originally posted by Stargaterules:
Another one that scares me is one dealer selling Yoda & artoo AoTC auto's . If you check his feedback he has sold at least 10 Yoda's ( Frank Oz )and has more for sale . I haven't seen him list other auto's from the set . I have not contacted the seller nor do i know for a fact that something is wrong with them , but it does raise an eyebrow . He could have just horded them for all i know , Just be careful .


This is always a possibilty but the other alternative could be they know someone at ****** company and they come "out of the back door". As we saw when Inkworks went under, card companies appear to have large amounts of cards put aside to replace "damaged" cards. Just a thought.
December 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
ajdedo
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Checked with my friend and it was him who purchased the Shatner. However, probably as a result of members of NSU questioning the seller my friend was given a refund before the seller even sent the card with a message stating "there appears to be a question about the autographs authenticity"

So the good wood work of NSU members has avoided a "con" keep up the good woork.


Yeah! That's awesome. I'm proud to have been one of the members that flagged that auction as "counterfeit". Smile
December 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
PAULM
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
i checked out this guy's other sells though his feedback.. he sold a "Munsters 1964 Leaf unopened box 24 packs trading cards" for an amazing $4,179.00... hope that one wasnt fake otherwise someone got totally burnt..

unfortunately the evidence is not looking good for this guy..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180715909624


Hi All, the Munsters looks great! Repros are sometimes hard to track, especially with today's technology and it advancement in society.
Wanted to buzz in to tell that about a year or two ago, I found a seller on Ebay who was selling repro boxes and wax wrappers. He listed them as repros and quite honestly, they are fantastic reproductions of the originals. I bought the Marvel Superhero cards and stickers boxes from the 60s. I wish I had bought others,but he shortly disappeared. I can't find the original auction to look up his id.
These boxes cost me around 10.00 per box and was a great bargain! I cannot afford the originals and would buy more if they were available.
So,it is possible to reproduce a box and a wax pack to the point of looking good. Now, with these repros, you can tell that they are repros very easily. As the copy is only as good as the original template. Any flaws will be duplicated in the process.
As far as older originals go, yes, they are out there, just take a peek at some of the auction houses, it is amazing how much prime material still exists.
Just wanted to chime in- hi technology- love it- hate it, we, the collector need to be more aware of the products and history more than ever before. Also, it does help to deal with dealers or auction houses that you know and trust.
Best of luck with all of this, it is not easy sometimes.
Take care,
Paul