Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Sets not listed in NSU price guide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sets not listed in NSU price guide
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

just recently decided to crack out the old sets and albums. Currently just trying to mark off what i have then finish some incomplete chase sets etc before i go off starting new collections.

I mostly have Marvel cards, and thought the NSU price guide would act like a good checklist for marking my sets off. Is that wrong? I cant seem to find a whole bunch of sets including:

Mcfarlane Trading card sets Series II
Spiderman Team Ups

Are some just not listed?

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
First of all Andy welcome to NSU cardtalk. There are only a limited amount of sets listed in the NSU price guide. What you need is a copy of "The Encyclopedia of Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Cards". Its over 500 pages and very good value.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Try:-

Jeff Allender's House of Checklists

the link is on the Non-sports update 'links' page.

http://www.nonsportupdate.com/links.htm

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys. I thought it was too good to be true that i could get a complete guide for the price of a magazine!

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
First of all Andy welcome to NSU cardtalk. There are only a limited amount of sets listed in the NSU price guide. What you need is a copy of "The Encyclopedia of Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Cards". Its over 500 pages and very good value.

Hi,

Do you know if there is a 2012/more recent copy of the Encyclopedia? The only copy I can find is back from 2006? Surely an updated copy is over due? Big Grin

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Andy, there was a lot of discussion here over the years about what can and can't be included in the magazine Price Guide. The trouble is that it was growing to be larger than the magazine. NSU experimented with alternating issues with A-L and M-Z, listing just the cards that have a lot of activity, etc. But newer sets keep growing larger and larger and collectors want details on all of the subsets and special cards. So was born the Encyclopedia, which covers just 1985-2006 and has 449 pages in the main section! A great bargain - Imagine trying that as a magazine insert. There are two other books, even bigger with small type, by Christopher Benjamin, that dealt with cards from 1930-1960 and 1961-about 1992. It might be time where a new edition of the Encyclopedia would be welcomed, but the NSU insert does a good job of keeping the information alive for sets that came out after the book.

And of course it's impossible to keep track of pricing for everything, especially with today's eBay where prices vary tremendously and are sometimes driven by the words a seller chooses for an auction title. ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah fair enough. I think it was only 3 or 4 sets that i have that i couldnt find, so perhaps won't need the encyclopedia just yet, but will definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks again for the help all.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are two other books, even bigger with small type, by Christopher Benjamin, that dealt with cards from 1930-1960 and 1961-about 1992.

Just make sure that you win Lotto first. Last time I asked he wanted well over $100 for one volume. Too rich for me I'm afraid.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really wish that there was a way to revise the Non-Sport Card Encyclopedia, or produce one for products released since the last one, because I still prefer referrence books. However in practical terms I know that it's a losing battle, especially with any attempt at pricing.

If you don't believe me just take a look at what Beckett still puts out annually on sportscards. Now that sportcard history is much richer and longer than non-sport, but the 2010 edition that I have is 1344 pages of an 8X10 book. Even with the size, the type font is so small that no one could comfortable read it for very long, and its now two years behind.

While the publishing costs of an encyclopedia type volume are no doubt considerable, any annual starts missing new products while still in the printing process. As for pricing, old sets and cards may stay relatively the same, but newer products and individual cards will be adjusting to the secondary market, so prices of things less than 3 years old can be way off.

The only thing consistent would be the card listings and for non-sport sets I don't think naming the base cards is very important. Its the premium hits that most collectors are interested in seeing anyway.

My point is, even though I would like an annual type non-sport card referrence that could cover everything, I don't think its feasible. Better to stick to the online sites we have, and of course the small universe covered in the NSU's price guide, which is still better than nothing.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it would be possible to have an official NSU online Encyclopedia (Yes, I know Jeff's checklist website does an amazing job! Thumb Up)?

It could be in 'book form' such as a downloadable PDF but it could make money by downloading it for a one off fee?

There could also be an optional monthly/yearly subscription for a 'new copy' to be emailed for you to download as the Encyclopdia PDF 'book' is updated?

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
I wonder if it would be possible to have an official NSU online Encyclopedia (Yes, I know Jeff's checklist website does an amazing job! Thumb Up)?

It could be in 'book form' such as a downloadable PDF but it could make money by downloading it for a one off fee?

There could also be an optional monthly/yearly subscription for a 'new copy' to be emailed for you to download as the Encyclopdia PDF 'book' is updated?

That's a really great idea Eek Thumb Up

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah that would be a great idea. I like Jeffs checklist site alot, however something with approximate values (especially for the older stuff which doesnt fluctuate too heavily) would be very handy.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:
There are two other books, even bigger with small type, by Christopher Benjamin, that dealt with cards from 1930-1960 and 1961-about 1992.

Just make sure that you win Lotto first. Last time I asked he wanted well over $100 for one volume. Too rich for me I'm afraid.

The pair of books advertised as VG-EX condition sold on eBay for $16 on Tuesday. You might get used copies elsewhere even cheaper.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Gasp!! Now you tell me!!
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:

The pair of books advertised as VG-EX condition sold on eBay for $16 on Tuesday. You might get used copies elsewhere even cheaper.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to buy second copies so that I could take one apart, scan it all, and be able to do word-searches. Cool

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
What are the names of the 2 older books?

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Watch out for earlier editions that might not have the latest entries.

The Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards Number 2 1930-1960, by Christopher Benjamin: last edition 1993, white cover, ISBN 0-937424-66-8.

The Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards Number 4 [1961-"present"], by Christopher Benjamin: last edition 1992, red cover, ISBN 0-937424-57-9.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post