Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BUSH CARD
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Can anyone please confirm what this card is? Promo? Insert? How was it distributed? etc...

Catskilleagle will be posting a picture of it shortly.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think this is the "President Bush" card from the "Seaforce" factory set (Virginia Hobby Supply, 1991) though I don't remember seeing that one - didn't collect the set. That card is part of the factory set but it turned out not all factory sets had it included. This card is also unnumbered like the Seaforce card. It's unclear if the company ran out of cards, or if some sets didn't get them by accident, or if it was intended to be a just a random insert.

If this card looks familiar but you didn't collect the set either, the portrait of Bush on the front is the same as the one included in the "Victory" promo that Virginia Hobby Supply also released the same year.

I remember there were a number of collectors who were really into all the Desert Storm sets. Hopefully, someone will be able to confidently identify this card for Promoking.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Can anyone please confirm what this card is? Promo? Insert? How was it distributed? etc...

Catskilleagle will be posting a picture of it shortly.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Where's Beamer when you need him?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Jess, Todd,
So from what I'm understanding, the prototype version of this card is the one listed in PCE on page 48. However, this particular card without the overprint was presumably inserted in some but not all factory sets. Does that sum it up? Does anyone have a price guide that lists this card and what it's listed for?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Yes, it's the prototype version that is listed. It's also listed in the 2020 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac. I checked a 2014 NSU issue price guide and a 1999 one and they all have the prototype at $50 but none of them list the factory set version.

Jess

quote:
Jess, Todd,
So from what I'm understanding, the prototype version of this card is the one listed in PCE on page 48. However, this particular card without the overprint was presumably inserted in some but not all factory sets. Does that sum it up? Does anyone have a price guide that lists this card and what it's listed for?

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Catskilleagle,
Thank you for doing all that checking. Allender says that the Bush card was inserted in only some of the Desert Storm Seaforce factory sets (since we've now identified how it was distributed). Maybe if beamer reemerges as Todd did, we may get the answer as to how prevalent or not this card is! Maybe someone else knows the answer?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

The Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards by Chris Benjamin shows your card as a bonus card for the set without any discussion.

Also, the guide notes the "Victory" card but says it was originally for sale for about $6. If so, it's not really a promo.

Jess

quote:
Catskilleagle,
Thank you for doing all that checking. Allender says that the Bush card was inserted in only some of the Desert Storm Seaforce factory sets (since we've now identified how it was distributed). Maybe if beamer reemerges as Todd did, we may get the answer as to how prevalent or not this card is! Maybe someone else knows the answer?

Picture of Zane DeVan
posted Hide Post

Here is the one I have with “prototype” across the top

Posts: 424 | Location: Littleton, CO. | Registered: April 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Here we go people! Generally, can and under what circumstances is a card designated as a "bonus" one be considered a promo?

Specifically, As Catskilleagle pointed out, Benjamin's considers the "Bush" card a "bonus" without elaborating. Since it was inserted as a freebie and [only in some sets] of Seaforce as Allender's site advises, was this card intended as a promo? Why only some sets? Was it distributed through other venues? Perhaps, one day some member will have the answers.