Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    2008 The Dark Knight Trading Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 The Dark Knight Trading Cards
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hello,

I am a longtime collector (and research/cataloger of sports and non-sports variations) and just found this forum. Ive read the magazine several times over the years and it is a wonderful resource.

I'm currently looking for any info or leads on any trading cards issued for the 2008 film The Dark Knight. I find it odd that Topps produced a Batman Begins set and then abandoned the property. Not to mention the fact that none of the "major" non sports producers didn't obtain a license for such a massively hyped and anticipated blockbuster film.

I understand that a set of stickers exist for the film but can anyone confirm any oddball, regional, under-the-radar or promotional cards produced for it?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7 | Location: CA/OR | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a 3-card "Batman Begins" promo set given out in 2005. It was either a Previews insert or given out at comic shops. You should be able to find the set rather easily.

I don't know of any cards for "The Dark Knight." Yeah, it was a missed opportunity but the license might have been too expensive.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Where the Topps license is concerned, the "Batman Begins" card set, incredibly, was not a hit, and boxes were available at clearance prices for a year after original release. That's likely what prevented any further Topps issues for the sequels. The same thing happened with the Topps set for "Superman Returns". A sell sheet was issued for a planned update set but was cancelled, as were any sequels to that movie.

Here is the sticker set you likely referred to. This is a factory set, but the stickers were also issued in packs, although the toy packaged with them had the tendency to damage them. Some of the stickers are shown on the box.

I do remember a single, standard sized "Dark Knight" promo card from Comic-Con with Batman on one side and Joker (Ledger's version, certainly, but with his back turned, unfortunately)on the other, but I'm not finding a picture of it. I think it promoted some sort of computer game based on the movie.
I'll post it up when I find it.

Finally, here's a cool look at the viral marketing campaign for "Dark Knight" which did feature some altered joker playing cards as well as U.S. currency:
https://cargocollective.com/Ga...arketing-campaign-in

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do remember a single, standard sized "Dark Knight" promo card from Comic-Con with Batman on one side and Joker (Ledger's version, certainly, but with his back turned, unfortunately)on the other, but I'm not finding a picture of it. I think it promoted some sort of computer game based on the movie.
I'll post it up when I find it.

Hi, thanks for thorough reply. This kind of thing is exactly what I am trying to find. Please do post a pic if you locate one. I'm willing to bet there are other trading cards or trading card size items, even unlicensed.

And I am well versed in the Warner Bros./PGM stickers, you're right, the single packs tend to yield damaged stickers, especially the holofoil and die-cut ones. The sets and bonus packs in blaster boxes tend to have corner damage due to the tight shrink wrap.

Posts: 7 | Location: CA/OR | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junkwaxgems:
[QUOTE]I'm willing to bet there are other trading cards or trading card size items, even unlicensed.

Quite possible, but why mention unlicensed merchandize? They can't be cataloged and they aren't variations, just counterfeit novelty items.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sure, but maybe he meant unlicenzed merchandise, which is highly collectible.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
[QUOTE]I'm willing to bet there are other trading cards or trading card size items, even unlicensed.

Quite possible, but why mention unlicensed merchandize? They can't be cataloged and they aren't variations, just counterfeit novelty items.

Well I am interested in all trading card issues for this film, specifically items featuring Heath Ledger's Joker, and that includes stuff that may not be recognized by catalogs or deemed "unofficial."

I only mentioned variations as it refers to my primary focus in the hobby, not regarding TDK trading card issues.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Sure, but maybe he meant unlicenzed merchandise, which is highly collectible.

I'm not sure what that means, highly collectible by who? Not me. Big Grin

Look this is going down the rabbit hole and there are many apologists for people who create and buy unlicensed trading cards. They add all sorts of ifs, ands, and buts to it to confuse the issue. I only asked junkwaxgems why he mentioned "other trading cards or trading card size items, even unlicensed" because he said he is a long time collector and research/cataloger and I was surprised.

An unlicensed trading card will appear in no researched catalog or price guide or almanac. You can't send them into a grading service, they will be rejected for grading. It is by every definition counterfeit when a copyright holder is holding a license and a card is being produced that hasn't paid for the use of that license. It damages legitimate card makers who have to pay for those licenses and will go out of business if card collectors flock to cheap, illegally mass produced fakes, be it on subjects produced or subjects not produced. An unlicensed card can be made at any time, in any quantity, by unknown entities, and is worth nothing beyond the moment of sale.

Yes, people are free to buy whatever cards they like and spend as much as they like. Yes, some unlicensed cards can look pretty good or on subjects not made. Yes. there is a market for unlicensed cards and some people don't mind keeping them.

All of that doesn't change the basic rock solid principle of the card collecting hobby. Only licensed cards or cards that are licensed by default (they aren't infringing on any existing copyright) are regarded as collectible items. I don't know why you can't say that simple truth without getting blow back. Do what you want, just know what you're doing and present the whole picture before you advise others to follow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Spelling joke.
Maybe try the decaf...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Spelling joke.
Maybe try the decaf...

No, I need my coffee. You're too sharp for me CPF, maybe you should try a grinning face or something. Big Grin Still all good. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's alright, Raven. Unlicensed stuff should be denounced periodically especially on this forum.

My brother is a graphic artist. Part of his work is designing logos, flyers, and trade show banner art. He takes time to make sure none of his designs look like someone else's copyrighted material. It's a pain to do things the right way.

People collect what looks good or different and sometimes they don't think about whether it's licensed or they don't think it's important. They say things like, "Who's it hurting?" or "It's just a few bucks." It's a big deal because someone else paid big bucks to try to sell a product for a few bucks each or someone else didn't pay big bucks because it was too expensive to take that risk. Meanwhile, some guy prints up 50 cards without paying for the privilege and calls them "rare" and a "barn find" or something like that to positively spin their uniqueness. He might sell them all and get away with it or he might have appeared on some company's radar and they've started a file on him.

I was bummed out when I was told Rockstreet promos were "Broders." I had a pile of different ones by then. I had just bought one of the Flash International promos when I was told those are unlicensed as well. I haven't bought another one of either group since.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Could junkwaxjems be referring to the Custom card issues wich are unlicenced and seem to be getting good or better acceptance among some collectors now
Even though they are a unlicenced product
But from what I have seen of some they have done a lot better than some of the card producing companies have been able to do

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's alright, Raven. Unlicensed stuff should be denounced periodically especially on this forum.

My brother is a graphic artist. Part of his work is designing logos, flyers, and trade show banner art. He takes time to make sure none of his designs look like someone else's copyrighted material. It's a pain to do things the right way.

People collect what looks good or different and sometimes they don't think about whether it's licensed or they don't think it's important. They say things like, "Who's it hurting?" or "It's just a few bucks." It's a big deal because someone else paid big bucks to try to sell a product for a few bucks each or someone else didn't pay big bucks because it was too expensive to take that risk. Meanwhile, some guy prints up 50 cards without paying for the privilege and calls them "rare" and a "barn find" or something like that to positively spin their uniqueness. He might sell them all and get away with it or he might have appeared on some company's radar and they've started a file on him.

I was bummed out when I was told Rockstreet promos were "Broders." I had a pile of different ones by then. I had just bought one of the Flash International promos when I was told those are unlicensed as well. I haven't bought another one of either group since.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Could junkwaxjems be referring to the Custom card issues wich are unlicenced and seem to be getting good or better acceptance among some collectors now
Even though they are a unlicenced product
But from what I have seen of some they have done a lot better than some of the card producing companies have been able to do

I didn't realize that the topic of potentially unlicensed cards was so delicate. Allow me to clarify...

Perhaps "unlicensed" is too strong of a word. In the case of The Dark Knight (TDK), it appears that no trading card companies were granted rights to produce a card set for the film. Either that or WB had no interest in having any sets made for it. As it stands, the stickers from Playground Maniacs are the only officially licensed merchandise that come close to collectible cards. About as close to cards as say, 1980s Panini Smash Hits. This stands out as odd to me. Occasionally there are under-the-radar oddball items, European only items, promo items (part of pitches for licensing) and so forth. My efforts to track down standard size trading cards for this set have not been successful so my original post was meant as a call for info that I may not be aware of.

And to further clarify, I'm interested in trading cards that wouldve been produced for the film, around the time of the film (2008), not recent customs or the CZX DC stuff from 2019.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Jess

Hey Jess,

Thanks, its important for new card collectors to be informed and for old card collectors to own up to their mistakes. I've had to lose some money dumping a few Broders in my day too. Big Grin

As for those unlicensed Frankenstein Monster custom cards that are made of spare parts from other cards that are popping, they are the same as the mass produced $4.99 "promos", but cost more for the privilege of buying a handmade, limited edition counterfeit card. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You could do a search of this site and see what members were saying about "Dark Knight" around that time. Someone might have mentioned a set or promo from outside the U.S. that had been released. I've found some oddball Batman cards here and there but they were connected to older movies.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't realize that the topic of potentially unlicensed cards was so delicate.

Sorry junkwaxgems, I should not have hijacked your topic by even bringing it up. Unlicensed cards is one of those subjects that keeps getting kicked around here and produces many shades of opinions. Welcome to Card Talk and thanks for your clarification.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Sadly Dark Knight is one of many missed card titles most likely due to the cost of the licensing.

About the best you're gonna be able to do is pull cards from multiple sources. Including gift cards.

I am pretty much doing this with my Howard the Duck collection even though there is that one set for the George Lucas film. Which I have with stickers. Cool

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
In the Computer game Batman Arkham Asylum the case contained large postcard sized cards of Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn etc.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
I didn't realize that the topic of potentially unlicensed cards was so delicate.

Sorry junkwaxgems, I should not have hijacked your topic by even bringing it up. Unlicensed cards is one of those subjects that keeps getting kicked around here and produces many shades of opinions. Welcome to Card Talk and thanks for your clarification.

Hey, no problem but much appreciated. Excited for new info to trickle in.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Sadly Dark Knight is one of many missed card titles most likely due to the cost of the licensing.

About the best you're gonna be able to do is pull cards from multiple sources. Including gift cards.

I hadn't even considered gift cards, great idea. I suppose until some new info turns up, I'll just keep opening the Playground Maniacs stuff if I can find it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I collect gift cards periodically. I stick to mostly entertainment related subjects.

The good thing is they haven't really taken off in the collectible world so most of them are still cheap.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post