Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Does Anyone know the story behind these Skybox autograph cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone know the story behind these Skybox autograph cards?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted
I picked these up at Philly. I’ve seen 1 other ‘set’ on eBay. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about them. Were they given to Gorshin to sell at conventions? They don’t have the Skybox seal on them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane,

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What's does the back say? It looks like his regular TOS Season 3 Skybox autograph card #A77, but I see it's called a "2-card uncut autograph sheet" on eBay. There are 2 pairs up now.

I know nothing about it, but I didn't do much early Trek, so that's no answer. I would say that the signature's ink on both pairs for sale looks different from that used on the regular A77. Skybox seals could sometimes be missing and might not even be on uncut cards, but these are signed.

This can't be something that hasn't been kicking around since 1999, so either its well known by Star Trek card collectors or it isn't. There are very few new discoveries on old cards as a general rule.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember awhile back seeing on ebay Richard Kiel (Jaws) autos which were slightly oversized versions of his regular auto card from one of the James Bond sets by Rittenhouse. It was said that RA gave these to him to sign at conventions. Maybe it's the same thing.

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have a similar, slightly oversized #A73 Skybox TOS card signed by Susan Howard from Season 3 also. I don't know where I got it and it's just a common. I never figured out if it was genuine or not, but it's hardly worth counterfeiting, so maybe there were some non-standard cards or sheets that came from 1999 Skybox. If there was, others would have them too.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen another sheet like that. I think it was the Robert Brown (:Lazarus") autograph from the first Star Trek TOS set. I don't know if was the same seller but someone had something else like that too. I should have saved the images but maybe Lynn remembers.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
What's does the back say? It looks like his regular TOS Season 3 Skybox autograph card #A77, but I see it's called a "2-card uncut autograph sheet" on eBay. There are 2 pairs up now.

I know nothing about it, but I didn't do much early Trek, so that's no answer. I would say that the signature's ink on both pairs for sale looks different from that used on the regular A77. Skybox seals could sometimes be missing and might not even be on uncut cards, but these are signed.

This can't be something that hasn't been kicking around since 1999, so either its well known by Star Trek card collectors or it isn't. There are very few new discoveries on old cards as a general rule.

The back looks exactly like a Skybox ST Autograph card.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Skybox actually had them sign the doubles and cut them down, but it was pretty common for actors to have multiple-card uncuts from signing. Either they were allowed to keep them, or they just kept a few for themselves.

I have several from Babylon 5 releases from Skybox that I got directly from the actors. One 2-card and one 3-card at least. Oh, where did I put those?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another of the Frank Gorshin uncut 2-card autograph sheets sold for $279.99 on April 18.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
That's how they were sent to the actors. They get cut after they get back to company. Back then it was mentioned that the actors kept some or were told it was ok to keep them for conversation use. They were told to use a different ink. Shouldn't have the authenticity seal stamp but that's guess work on my part. I never collected them.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post