Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Monty Gum The Story of 007

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8647044007

May 16, 2023, 05:34 PM
JOHN LEVITT
Monty Gum The Story of 007
In 1984 Monty Gum (a Dutch candy manufacturer) issued a set of 100 cards with coloured images that are numbered with plain backs and no series title other than the trade made emblem 007. The cards were to look like a cell from a film strip and measured 2 11/16th x 1 7/8th inches (68mm x 44mm). They feature images from the first 13 films ("DR. No" to "Octopussy").

In 1985 with the release of the film "A View to a Kill" Monty re-issued the original 100 cards with the addition of 100 images from "A View to a Kill" again being in colour and numbered 101 to 200. An album was also issued (sized about A4) titled "Monty Album The Story of 007". The front and back covers feature drawings of some of the characters. The inside pages feature black and white images of all 200 cards albeit being slightly smaller than the actual cards. In addition part of the inside back page provides an opportunity for the collector to identify whom the album belongs to. I have attached of images of the coloured cards as well as those of the album and its contents. I have also noticed at least one error in that card 31 shows an image from "Thunderball" but attributes it to "You Only Live Twice". There may be others.

Apologies for the scan of the cards forming colour vies of some cards from 1 to 100. The card edges still have the perforation residue after being separated. I acquired the set of 100 plus album some years ago and it wasn't until I opened the album that I discovered the other 100 cards still awaiting separation.

Images of some coloured cards numbered between 101 and 200.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Images of some coloured cards numbered between 1 and 100

Front Cover

Rear Cover

Sample Black and White images from inside album

Scan of inside back page

Looking on the usual auction website site I see that some cards have been speculated with others that have not and at least 1 set of two hundred is available.

regards

John

May 17, 2023, 02:48 AM
catskilleagle
Thanks, John. Cool cards and album. Were the cards issued in packs or did you get some packaged with candy?

Jess
May 17, 2023, 05:51 AM
JOHN LEVITT
Jess

I bought cards 1-100 as a completed set although I cannot say exactly when.

There was a period during the 1980's and 1990's when I bought Monty sets whenever I came across them. Of the 25 different Monty sets that I have, three are only part sets as I purchased these from my local sweetshop in individual packets either with gum or candy sticks if I remember correctly. Regretably at the time, I did not keep the packaging, I now know better. These three part sets are the 2nd Series of "The A Team", "Charlies Angels" and "The Six Million Dollar Man". The owner of the sweet shop was a good supplier as he would get me products that had cards with them from his wholesalers whenever they had them so I was able to buy some in bulk. Incidentally one of the members of the London branch of the Cartophilic society went one better by introducing me to an actual wholesaler which was quite unique at the time because wholesalers required you to have a trade account with them as well as a business address.

I digress, some years later I came across the album for sale along with the set of 100 cards (1st series). Although I had the set I wanted the album so I purchased it and to my surprise when I opened it the second 100 cards were folded inside the album in sheet form. As they still are. When I looked through the album it was then I realised that the actual set consisted of 200 cards not 100.

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

May 17, 2023, 08:19 AM
webjon
Very cool, thank you for sharing.