Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Post Office Advice Needed

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8567076086

February 08, 2016, 11:07 AM
David R
Post Office Advice Needed
Won a $ 5 card on ebay around Jan 22

Card sent with tracking Jan 23. Last seen at a distribution center in Kansas City, Missouri, on Jan 27. No word of its location since

I emailed the USPS, received a general response saying tracking simply tells you where it has been, not where it is now. USPS says it can't offer any more help

Seller is willing to refund my $ 5, but he can't replace the card. It's not rare, but I've only seen 2-3 on ebay over the past year, and none currently

I called the Kansas City post office, and they said that they are NOT experiencing weather delays, that they don't know what to tell me

Should I wait longer ? It's been over 2 weeks since it was mailed.
February 08, 2016, 11:27 AM
barobehere
I can't tell you anymore then what you know but over the last 6 months the USPS has become increasing sloppy with delivery. My neighbor is deceased and his granddaughter has the house who lives about an hour away. I get the mail for them (which is 95% junk mail)and give it to her when she comes into town. What is that other 5%? My mail. I have had 5 cards arrive at the neighbor's mailbox as well as bills and other mail.
February 08, 2016, 11:34 AM
David R
I am sure that the card is still in Missouri, but the question is, how do I get it "moving" ?

Last month, I had an incident with another card with a tracking number. The mailman swears that he handed it to me, but he did not. Tracking says it was delivered to my home, and they had no other info to give me. Obviously he must have delivered to the wrong home on my block, which means I will never see the card. Frown
February 08, 2016, 12:48 PM
Raven
I use to think that the tracking number meant something. It does, it means you can follow the progress of the package thru the several post office points that it must pass through, however once it gets to the final station from which it is to be delivered to the address and the delivery button is pressed, that's all folks.

If you don't get, they don't know what happened to it. Even if they don't show it as delivered, but have it arriving at the final facility, they still don't know what happened to it. This past Christmas I had at least three items with tracking just left on my doorstep and they didn't even ring the bell. I was lucky, anyone could have walked away with them.

And if they show that it was delivered, good luck trying to get anyone to admit that maybe it wasn't. So all this extra postage for added protection is worthless when something goes astray.

Having said that, two weeks is to early to give up. Some things are just delayed and there has been bad weather and holidays. I think you may get it yet. Smile
February 08, 2016, 04:13 PM
lag30240
This is second hand info via my neighbor from our backup mailman (not our awful regular one). She was told that when they scan it as delivered that the scanner records the actual location where it was scanned(sounds like GPS)
February 08, 2016, 04:19 PM
David R
I was on the phone for 10 minutes at lunchtime with the post office, having called the general 1-800 number

All they can tell me is that it was last seen in Missouri on Jan 27. They cannot tell me if it is still in that state, or where it is, nor can they tell me when it will leave the Missouri distribution center, if in fact that is where it is. There is supposedly no way of contacting anyone there, to see if perhaps it is laying in a bin, overlooked by someone

All she could say was that she was sorry, and that I could fill out paperwork to get my $ 5 back
February 08, 2016, 10:09 PM
Obi Wan Chrisobi
Tracking only shows where the item was last scanned, it says nothing about where the item currently is. Short of a physical search of the last place it was scanned, there is nothing a representative is going to be able to tell you beyond what you see when you go to the website to look the item up as that is the same information they are seeing on their screen.

February 08, 2016, 11:23 PM
Artist
Hey David,
Don't feel bad. I have bill that I sent a week and half before the due date. The company is only about 6 miles from my house. You know when it get there, the date after the due date and I was changed with the late fee. I don't know what the post office is doing with all the mail that come to the post office and they want raised the postage every year. Come on!!!!
February 09, 2016, 12:25 AM
Chrisahend
quote:
Originally posted by Artist:
Hey David,
Don't feel bad. I have bill that I sent a week and half before the due date. The company is only about 6 miles from my house. You know when it get there, the date after the due date and I was changed with the late fee. I don't know what the post office is doing with all the mail that come to the post office and they want raised the postage every year. Come on!!!!

I used to have that problem. The Birmingham sorting center was unable to handle the volume of mail it was getting so mail from some locations was being sent from Birmingham to Atlanta for sorting and then back to Birmingham. My local mail would take about 10 days. I pay everything online now so I don't know if it's still a problem or not.
February 17, 2016, 10:16 AM
David R
The missing card came today

Only took 25 days to get here from Missouri !
February 17, 2016, 12:08 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Having said that, two weeks is to early to give up. Some things are just delayed and there has been bad weather and holidays. I think you may get it yet. Smile

Told ya! The PO ain't what it used to be, glad you got it. Smile
February 17, 2016, 12:16 PM
David R
I am very surprised. No explanation for the delay

Mailed Jan 23. Received Feb 17
February 17, 2016, 02:49 PM
Chrisahend
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I am very surprised. No explanation for the delay

Mailed Jan 23. Received Feb 17

I had a package I sent around the same time do the same thing. I was about to issue a refund when it showed back up in the system after almost 3 weeks.
February 17, 2016, 09:26 PM
barobehere
Awesome!
February 18, 2016, 05:52 AM
hammer
Mind you I have a tracked e-bay purchase saying it has been delivered but in Bismarck, USA on Feb 11th! Not much use when I am in UK Shake Head
February 20, 2016, 01:40 PM
mistermagdealer
Several years ago I sent a package to somebody in Japan and he thought I ripped him off because it did not show up for over a month. It turns out the post office rerouted it to Malaysia (no explanation) and he got it about two months after I sent it. And I used Global Priority Mail for it.
February 20, 2016, 09:39 PM
catskilleagle
Hi David,

That's great. One time, it took just over two weeks to get a packet from Utah.

My main Ebay problem lately is a seller not sending the item at all. Either they say they can't find it or I just don't hear back. It makes me wonder if someone out of nowhere offered him more money and he took it instead of honoring the win.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
The missing card came today

Only took 25 days to get here from Missouri !