Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Private collectors - what do you do with all those base sets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private collectors - what do you do with all those base sets?
 Login/Join

posted
Seriously... I now have two cases filled with sealed base sets.

I've tried flogging them on Ebay - nobody wants to pay actual postage costs for a base set.

Do I continue to fill boxes until I can use them as breeze-blocks for an extension to the house?

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I gave up trying to sell extra base sets, and now give them away to kids in the neighborhood, or to a local charity shop. I wrap them up nice or put them in a holder and they sell them cheap, noone makes a lot but the money goes to a homeless shelter and maybe a few kids will pick up the hobby.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I volunteer for the local charity hospice and we sell them in the shop to raise money towards looking after the patients.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I keep about one case worth (say 12-15) sets and wrap them for the occasional card show I go to as we try and get nonsports promoted in Australia. I used to donate the others (unsorted) to a local school but have just started adding sealed packs to the giveaways for the same card shows which also accounts for some. This reduces the spare base sets a little because i don't have to open packs after finding the hits.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I keep 2 - 3 sets of any product I open, assuming that I bought that many boxes, and only if I like it. Sometimes I don't keep even one base set. I used to give them to my LHS, but most of those are still sitting in his case. There isn't a lot of interest because any collector who was interested probably bought a box themselves. Wink

I just give away the ones I don't want or if they go over the 2 - 3 I would keep. I try to give them to the neighborhood kids, but its surprising how many non-sport sets are not really appropriate for youngsters. I mean I don't want to explain to some parent that Junior is playing with bloody zombie cards because I had too many Walking Dead sets. Busty female superheroes and Vampirella don't go over that well either. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScoobyDew79
posted Hide Post
Put them on a shelf for a few months, get tired of looking at them, then end up throwing them out. Probably should try to do something productive with them...but I don't.

Posts: 43 | Location: Oxford, Mississippi | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
I have masses of base sets which I just seem to hoard for the future although I have no particular idea what to do with them.

Some I have sold at car boot sales over the years, I have given loads to charity shops with instructions as to what they are and prices to put on them!!

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
It is a never ending battle with me.

I try and flog them on Ebay but it is a lot of time and effort for what probably means getting only a few quid back after costs per set if I am lucky. It is often easier if I sell a job lot for a discounted price just to clear them out.

If I was business seller it might be worth selling in the long run but as a collector who sells on Ebay as side hobby it isn't anymore.

Since I started collecting cards I've never had a time that there has not been a spare base set to sell. I'd nearly acheived it recently but so many boxes busted in such a short space of time leaves me with a drawer full again. Not much time these days due to work to get them sold.

That said there is still a market for base sets as collectors on a budget opt for base sets rather than chase cards and buying sealed boxes.

One thing though, I never throw out base cards. I always try to sell or give them away, just think of what went into making these cards in the first place Wink

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
I was giving them away to local charities
and usually bring a pile to Paul M (CECE)

but am bringing a large box to Philly
as I have been told a few of the dealers there may buy them
- will let you know

I even sold off my "doubles" to a dealer here in Canada, think it was $15 for a monster box
- which was fine for me, as long as I made more than the price of the monster box

sorry can't help you guys in the UK

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
I want them....I enjoy the base sets as much as the chase cards. I am unable to purchase many boxes anymore due to having no case. I hate for them to be thrown out. Contact me and maybe we can make a deal prior to them being chucked. Certainly I may have something to trade.....

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post