Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Insert and Parallel Game

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8477031696

May 05, 2021, 04:56 AM
mykdude
Insert and Parallel Game
So, I thought I was interested in some GoT Complete cards until I saw it had a 100 card subset (contradiction in my opinion) inserted at 2 per box. Have to admit it took the wind right out of my sail. Even worse, after going through the list it could have been easily narrowed down to about 30 or 40. To get what we would call a mini master set from this checklist would require 84 boxes with the 14 then and now's inserted 1 every 144 packs.

At what point in the Insert/Parallel game do you give up and has the game been such a circus at times where you decided not to even bother with collecting the set at all?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

May 05, 2021, 06:25 AM
hammer
Well a chase set that requires a minimum of 50 boxes always puts me off. I much prefer a set that can be completed in a case (excluding Auto's)
May 05, 2021, 08:00 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Well a chase set that requires a minimum of 50 boxes always puts me off. I much prefer a set that can be completed in a case (excluding Auto's)

I think that is probably my breaking point as well. If you can't get a mini master or low end parallel set out of one or two cases things are going too far.

May 05, 2021, 08:15 AM
Raj
A box has 8 packs of 6 cards = 48 cards/box.
2 of the cards are autographs.

There are nonparallel subsets. Knock off 2 more cards. That's 44 potential base cards.
The base set is 99 cards. 3 boxes are going to needed to get a base set at the very least.
May 05, 2021, 10:29 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
At what point in the Insert/Parallel game do you give up and has the game been such a circus at times where you decided not to even bother with collecting the set at all?

I don't, the numbered parallels are impossible and regular sized inserts are hard. A 100 card insert set is another whole product to find. If I were to really want an insert/parallel set I would look to buy it complete from some place. You know someone is going to have it.

The way RA is playing this game is not funny. A box that has a full 60 card base set, and 50 duplicates of those cards, and 2 cards from the nice 100 character insert set, is not funny. You have plenty of room in the box. You could get half the insert set in it or a third and give people a chance to make it in 2 or 3 boxes. That's not enough spending for a card collector.

It's one thing to have a couple of inserts each in a box with a 99 card base set. To do it with a 60 card base set is disgraceful in my opinion.
May 05, 2021, 10:37 AM
Tommy C
I did all of the Rittenhouse James Bond sets, and I have masters of them all (aside from parallels) but when Upper Deck took over and I saw that it would take multiple CASES to try to put together a master set, as some chase cards and/or autos were limited to only 10 or 25 in existence, that was the END of collecting Bond cards for me, sadly.
May 05, 2021, 11:55 AM
Bob Johnson
I decided not to get a case of Star Trek: Picard Season 1 from Rittenhouse when I learned it wouldn't be possible to complete one of the insert sets from a single case. That's absurd, in my opinion, and a slap in the face to set collectors.
May 05, 2021, 12:54 PM
Kennywood
I don't bother looking at any set with parallels. Why would I want to collect the same base cards, only with a small difference? And adding more than one parallel set is simply a slap in the face to collectors.

May 06, 2021, 03:25 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
I don't bother looking at any set with parallels. Why would I want to collect the same base cards, only with a small difference? And adding more than one parallel set is simply a slap in the face to collectors.

Agreed, parallels don't do it for me either
May 06, 2021, 08:30 AM
cardaddict
That's one of the main reasons I quit collecting some years ago.
May 08, 2021, 05:26 PM
Heroes For Hire
Why not try to sell or trade away parallels and just focus on a base set?
Enjoy the base set and let others spend the extra money on those extra parallels.
May 09, 2021, 12:06 AM
catskilleagle
With all the complaints here and elsewhere, RA could do itself a favor and release a surprise hot box in some of the cases. Add an extra autograph and other chase cards and certainly do something like stuff the packs with maybe 25%-30 of the easy parallels in the set - and maybe a few more of the uncommon ones. Give a dealer more stuff to sell; give a collector a nice jump on a subset.