Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Non-Sport Error Cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Error Cards?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Star Wars Galaxy 2 I think had a unumbered card Wookies attacking the knife was removed I have not seen the version that was supposed to have been issued also New Zealand has a couple of modern sports cards a early cricket card had the wrong player name was replaced with the actual player and name and in 2018 a Rugby Card set had seven error cards replaced

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think there have been a few non-sport error cards of note over the years. I'm sure there is a Card Talk thread around here someplace that discussed it. It's all pretty much a thing of the past now. Printings are one and done, so you can't have a true error card unless you have a corrected card and they both made it into the product. Sometimes people still confuse variations, both the intended and accidental kind, with being errors.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just throwing my bit in here for what it is worth. I collect Metal Gear Solid Trading Cards (1998). There are serial errors in these cards. Some very rare ones have a double stamped serial. Whether this is a correction or not is unknown. it is not like the double stamp is in secession from the first. the number is completely different. So a possible revision. Other serial errors include missing serials, upside down serials, misplaced serials. serials on front of card. All the serial errors are extremely rare except missing serials - which come up now and them.

Posts: 5 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The SWG 2 card you're thinking of is an unnumbered promo card with an Ewok attacking a stormtrooper/biker scout with a knife. In the base set (card #266) the Ewok is just raising his fist. Back when it was relatively new, some collectors called the promo, the "Evil Ewoks" card. I still see people calling it that these days.

The promo was said to have been available only as an insert in an issue of Triton magazine. I missed the issue but was able to trade for the promo later. I always thought that one would be in demand later, but from that time to today, it's been a $5-10 card from what I've seen.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
The Star Wars Galaxy 2 I think had a unumbered card Wookies attacking the knife was removed I have not seen the version that was supposed to have been issued also New Zealand has a couple of modern sports cards a early cricket card had the wrong player name was replaced with the actual player and name and in 2018 a Rugby Card set had seven error cards replaced

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
The SWG 2 card you're thinking of is an unnumbered promo card with an Ewok attacking a stormtrooper/biker scout with a knife. In the base set (card #266) the Ewok is just raising his fist. Back when it was relatively new, some collectors called the promo, the "Evil Ewoks" card. I still see people calling it that these days.

The promo was said to have been available only as an insert in an issue of Triton magazine. I missed the issue but was able to trade for the promo later. I always thought that one would be in demand later, but from that time to today, it's been a $5-10 card from what I've seen.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:

So there you go, another error card that really isn't an error card. Back when they were making errors and corrected cards I used to have fun arguing with other collectors and dealers about the rare errors and variations they were always finding. Most of the time they weren't really rare and half of the time they weren't even corrected, so they couldn't be called errors, or they weren't even variations, just poor manufacturing. I remember that there were actually blank back collectors too. It's half a card. Big Grin

Oh well, some of them were rare, but unfortunately like a lot else, very few of them are worth today what was paid for them when they were originally discovered.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
One of the Superman sets (Return maybe?) had two versions of two of the inserts, one with the correct reverse and the other with the reverse of the other insert.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
There are also those X-Files error cards, and I believe Animal Mystic was released without the coating in error.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the "no pug" #87 error base card next to the corrected card. In the late 90's a seller could get maybe $3-5 for it and some dealers might have even thrown it in or slightly bumped up the price of the set. I see two different dealers trying to get about $30 for the error card right now. Unfortunately for them and like others are saying in this thread, I don't see anyone these days paying something like that. Error cards have their attraction but non-sports collectors don't like to pay up for one. Has there been some recent upward action with that card? Otherwise, it seems like a tough sell with a $10 BIN and free shipping.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's also the George "Poppy" Bush hologram card that was once an occasional find in bargain boxes and considered a promo. It's actually a case card for one of the 90's sets honoring Babe Ruth. There's a silver and a gold variant and it has a third odd version. It actually has a blank front - just a white card instead of a hologram - but with the regular back.

quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
As I was reading the thread on variant cards the other day, I realized that we never talk about error cards. Then it struck me that non-sport really doesn't have error cards today and possibly never did. Big Grin

I have at least three Dick Tracey cards that are blank backed but this is simply a case where a sheet mist going through the printer and accidentally got released.
Anyway, the completest in me demands that I collect them all!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Error cards have their attraction but non-sports collectors don't like to pay up for one. Has there been some recent upward action with that card? Otherwise, it seems like a tough sell with a $10 BIN and free shipping.

Gosh this thread hasn't had much new to say. Without corrected cards, there really can't be an error card. Since just about all the new non-sport products have only one printing, any error isn't fixed, and it's simply left as is.

The lack of demand in old error cards could probably be explained by the absence of collectors trying to complete those sets with all errors and variants, as well as the general disinterest in most older titles. The Pug card is actually a pretty noticeable and important error, but if no one cares about Inkworks "Men In Black" set anymore, no one is looking for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The only error card that seems to be in-demand is the Battlestar Galactica Season 4 P2 with the P1 back. One sold recently for about $80-85 which is a lot for a "modern" error card.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
RA corrected a P card? Is there a story behind that?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the promos were printed on the same sheet and the backs were misaligned with the fronts but only by one card per sheet and it went unnoticed until after they were inserted with the magazines. It was a dealer who first spotted it later. I don't know the printing process and haven't seen a sheet but assume that was how it happened. It wasn't a matter of RA printing a quantity of corrected cards later.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
RA corrected a P card? Is there a story behind that?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another error and corrected card. It's the X-Files Season 2 title card which is card 01 in the set but in the first print run, this card is unnumbered and is missing the copyright information. Topps had to do another run with a corrected card for this and at least 18 other cards according to Allender. He says the first run errors are quite rare. I remember when the cards were released. You could find the error title card if you wanted it back then and you can find it today but there doesn't seem to be much demand for it - not sure how many people then knew that there were other error cards in the set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another of the better-known error promos with its corrected version. It's from the SuperStars MusiCards set (Pro Set, 1991). The first print run misspelled Madonna's last name (Caccione) and includes her birth year. The second run spells her name correctly (Ciccone) without her birth year given. Back in the 90's-early 2000's, the error card was in-demand but it wasn't hard to find so its value peaked around $10. I haven't been checking on it and don't see any recent sales so I don't know what the value is today.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, the promos were printed on the same sheet and the backs were misaligned with the fronts but only by one card per sheet and it went unnoticed until after they were inserted with the magazines. It was a dealer who first spotted it later. I don't know the printing process and haven't seen a sheet but assume that was how it happened. It wasn't a matter of RA printing a quantity of corrected cards later.

That makes sense. A wrong number really isn't going to hurt the purpose of a promo card. Not much point in correcting it. Screwing up info on a heavy hitter like Madonna might cause a few issues. Wonder who caught it? The fans, the card company or Madonna

Nice info to know.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
https://jklm.net/startrekcards...n-Variation-Card.jpg

SkyBox reprinted the Insurrection Levar Burton auto after the actor took note that his name wasn't 'spelled' correctly. As you note, a heavy hitter might have more pull to get something like that done.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I can't remember this one, did Burton sign any of the LEVAR cards?

If not, did the error get out unsigned? Or how else would we know about it?

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I don't think he signed any. I know of the them cause I was able to get my hands on one uncut sheet of 2 cards (unsigned) back in the 90's.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was looking at a back issue of NSU last week and noticed another 90's error card in an ad that carried some value then. It's a variant of the Star Wars Galaxy Series 3 P5 promo. The correct promo shows an Imperial Walker on the front and has "P5" in the upper right corner on the back. The error has "P6" on the back and the back text incorrectly credits the artist of the P6 front. It appears to be a situation like the Battlestar Galactica card. The P5 and P6 promos were printed on the same sheet with the backs misaligned with the fronts. It might have affected only one card per sheet and nobody noticed until after the cards were distributed so it wasn't a case of an error run and then a corrected run after that.

I haven't seen one sell in years and can't find a note on what it sold for in the 90's or 2000's. I think at least one dealer tried to get $40-60 for it back then.