Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Non-Sport Error Cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Error Cards?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I purchased one about 2019 I have been through my purchase history and it was not from 2020 for under $10
And i see that Promoking has one for sale around $130
These are all i have seen for sale for a long time

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I ran across the error version of the #13 card from the Inline Classic Motorcycles Cards set (Inline, 1993). It has a hologram of an American motorcycle (1941 Indian 4-Cyclinder) and an American flag which is what is on the front of the SP1 random insert in the set and it has the checklist back. It was also mistakenly printed as a "prototype" on the back. I haven't seen a prototype version of the correct #13. Meanwhile, the correct #13 card has a hologram of a British motorcycle (1956 BSA) and the British flag on the front and a checklist on the back.

Here's the error:

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure wether these are errors or variants I would go with variant
My two Dynamic X Files Contact promo cards are colored differently one Black one Grey both backs of them are Black only the front of one is Grey
The difference is so striking that I purchased it about when the set was issued
Never seen another one

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Piko,

I read what I wrote and what you wrote and then realized that, yeah, it might not be an actual error card in that a prototype is the first version of a card. Someone might have simply decided to add a card to the set, the SP1, and use the prototype front for that and then put the British motorcycle and flag on the checklist card.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I am not sure wether these are errors or variants I would go with variant
My two Dynamic X Files Contact promo cards are colored differently one Black one Grey both backs of them are Black only the front of one is Grey
The difference is so striking that I purchased it about when the set was issued
Never seen another one

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one said to be an error card from the "RMS Titanic 1912-2012 Commemorative Trading Card Collection" set (Cult-Stuff, 2012). It is said to have the front of the SW1 card and the back of the unnumbered "Minia" card. I didn't see an SW1 card in Allender's listing so I'm not actually sure what this card is. Maybe someone more familiar with the set can say for sure.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All
I'm totally new to this forum, and site. I was wondering how I can report to the manufacturer of Upper Deck Cards. I'm a collector of comics, however, I collect everything X-23, Laura Kinney. Upper Deck Marvel X-Men Metal Universe Geodes X-23 #G-15, however, the picture on the card isn't X-23 it's actually her clone called Gabby. I have 2 of these cards, both have Gabby on the card instead of X-23. Would these be considered errors or what category would these cards be under? Also, if I send them into be graded, would they print Errors on the label? Also, which company would best send them in to be graded? Thank you for anyone that can help me with this card and any suggestions you may have.

Posts: 1 | Location: US | Registered: July 11, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theycallmebruce3:
Hi All
I'm totally new to this forum, and site. I was wondering how I can report to the manufacturer of Upper Deck Cards. I'm a collector of comics, however, I collect everything X-23, Laura Kinney. Upper Deck Marvel X-Men Metal Universe Geodes X-23 #G-15, however, the picture on the card isn't X-23 it's actually her clone called Gabby. I have 2 of these cards, both have Gabby on the card instead of X-23. Would these be considered errors or what category would these cards be under? Also, if I send them into be graded, would they print Errors on the label? Also, which company would best send them in to be graded? Thank you for anyone that can help me with this card and any suggestions you may have.

Welcome!

This happens every so often when a character looks like another.

UD won't fix the error by printing new cards. So it will go down in informed circles as an unreprinted error card.

You'd have to ask the grading company about tagging it as an error. The big boys (PSA, BGS) would likely need UD to admit the error publicly. Some of the smaller companies would likely be more swayed by your knowledge and tag the label accordingly.

Not likely to get UD to publicly admit the error. They're likely to say Marvel approved the cards and they are the last judge. But we know errors get made. They just don't get admitted to that often.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It will never be called an "error card" because there isn't a corrected version. You must have the pair, in some cases multiple versions, or the card with the wrong photo or bad text is just something that has been identified as a sloppy mistake on the card maker's part.

Depending on how many copies of each version was made, the "corrected" version or versions can be rarer than the actual "error card" and may be the one that earns a higher premium.

With the modern one-shot methods of printing and no second print runs there are practically no true "error cards" or "corrected cards" made anymore. Just cards that have quality control mistakes or the occasional production defect.

Grading would only be affected if there is a condition reduction. They will not call it an "error card" because all the cards are exactly the same.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an odd error I hadn't heard of before and noticed it only recently. It's from the 1977 Star Wars General Mills stickers aka Star Wars ADPAC General Mills stickers (32-card set with 16 in English and the same 16 in French and English from Canada). They are 3 1/4 x 4 1/8 inches.

The one on the left is the regular one. The one on the right has the graphics slightly but noticeably offset.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
That almost looks like a print malfunction.

I recently realized that Lochlyn Munro's Dead Zone autograph is misspelled as Monro.

Makes a difference in ebay searches.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I had started to write a reply about that very thing, but discarded it because the scan is somewhat difficult to tell. My initial reaction to the photo was that it is not an error card, but an off-register print.

One of my pet peeves regarding mainly older cards is they are sometimes misrepresented as error and variant cards, when what you really have are defected cards, either damaged out right or incompletely or inadequately produced in the printing process.

In the era of mass production prior to the last 20 or so years, quality control on card printing was bad and sometimes non-existent. Off-center cards with uneven borders were never wanted. Yet collectors would buy blank back or blank front cards as though they were desirable errors. If a card came out missing the foil or gold trim, they called it a variant. Slight differences in color shading became a different card, as though it was intended to be that way.

In fact, the majority of these differences are due to poor manufacturing and, contrary to adding value, these are defective cards that should have grade deductions. Also, people continue to identify error cards that have misspellings or wrong information, when there was never a corrected version. No card can be called an error card when they are all exactly the same.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Brooke Bond with their Tea cards issued corrected cards with some of their issues both here in the UK and in Canada, probably because their issues would be in the tea for many months giving them the opportunity to issue amended cards. Topps also issued corrected cards with their Michael Jackson and X-Files cards. I believe Pro Set also issued some corrected cards. Clearly some manufacturers paid attention to customer complaints. Also in the days of cigarette card issues several issuers also produced corrected cards but these would be too numerous to mention. I know of at least one author who has published more than one book on error cards. These days I think some manufacturers have no further interest in the product once it has been sold.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
These days I think some manufacturers have no further interest in the product once it has been sold.

regards

John

Safe to say no card maker cares about a product that has been sold out. However they start to care when their dealers, distributors and bulk buyers cancel or cut back on new orders because the old inventory is still sitting, and they lost money on the last products they bought. That's when the maker takes notice, but only then.

But the main reason why corrected cards are not produced anymore is because of the method of modern printing. They don't do multiple runs. It's printed once and packed out. If there is a mistake, they all have the same mistake. It becomes a card with an error, but not an error card because there is no other corrected version.

posted Hide Post
I remember that a common Jurassic Park card set with the 4 holograms had different backs. I don't have them in front of me right now, but there was something on the back that didn't match the dinosaur on the front and another type of error. So, there were I think 2 variations for each sticker. To confuse things further, JP series 1 and JP series 2 had different holograms so certain ones belong to one set or the other. I am missing a couple, but I haven't been collecting in a long time anyway, this is not on the top of my list.

Maybe you guys have more info?

Another error were Achilleos Series 1 silver title cards. I don't think the same error happened with the gold cards. I am still looking for the silver error card with the logo on the corner like the other 89 cards. This on the other hand, I would like to get one.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
it's nice to see you posting again. On the JP holograms, there were 2 different color, 4 card sets. The silver ones were randomly inserted in Jurassic Park packs. The other 4 were amber color and found in the Jurassic Park magazines. I know that on the amber ones, there were two #4s and I don't think there was a #2. I don't know if the same error was repeated in the silver ones.

On the Achilleos, can you post a picture of what you are referring to please?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post