Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Favorite Base Card of All-Time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Base Card of All-Time
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
For fun, I thought it would be nice to hear what people's favorite base card is of all-time. No chase cards, no autographs and certainly no top 10s. One base card, that's it.

More importantly, what's the story behind it? Does it capture the best scene of your favorite movie? Does it picture a beautiful lady (or man)? Did you paint the picture? Does the text make you laugh?

Pictures are great too. If you need a picture posted, please email me the scan at ryan@tradercracks.com and point me to your post and I'll make it happen ASAP.

So let's see those base cards!

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
1977 Topps Star Wars set one ( blue borders )I couldn't pick one of them the whole set .Thats the set that got me into collecting way back then at the age of 7 ( yes in 77 ) . My dad drove me around all of Long Island looking for packs to complete the set. I collect mostly Autographed cards now unless its Stargate .

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What got me started in collecting was X Files series 1. I got so caught up in collecting the promos that I couldn't stop. Now that is all I collect. I have thousands of promos from the early 1980's. Still collect them, so if you have any doubles you don't want, I will gladly take them. tcarusonrs@aol.com

Tony

Posts: 35 | Location: Stoughton, MA, USA | Registered: July 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post

Batman: The Movie - Series 2 - Card # 222
Cause when you're 5 years old, that kind of math just screws with your head!

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
There's no way I can wittle it down to just one card. Maybe top 10. If I have time later I'll go through my 10,000 cards and pick 10 out.

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
The Base Set for me has to be Charmed Season One because I remember the exictement of 11 years ago having bought a full set for cheap on Ebay and it arrived in a simple cardboard box. I sat there reading each card invidiually and relished in the set.
I guess either the #1st or #72 (last) cards would be my favourites. #1st because it was the 1st card I saw/held/read and thought it was wonderful! If I were to choose the #72 card this was because it features the Halliwell manor which in itself was a major 'character' throughout the show and this checklist summarises the whole 1st Charmed set =)
Between the two I think #1 card wins Clap
Good question by the way Thumb Up
-TC00.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post

Charmed Season One: Card 1.

-TC00.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool question, I have enjoyed going through my sets to pick out a favorite, actually was pretty easy. My favorute set is Buck Rogers, it was the first and only set I collected as a kid, I never managed to finish it growing up, I was always 4 cards short. Then ebay came along and I scored the set in much better condition, even with all the stickers.

Anyway, my favorite card would be the 1st card.

My other favorite base sets are V, Magnum PI, The Black Hole, Dune, Planet of the APes (1969) and Groo.. and a tonne of others but I better stop, the question was really only for most favorite..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Probably the first 2 sets to really get me into cards was Chris Acchilleos series 1 and Louis Royo's from Fantasy to reality.......
One of my favourite base cards was Miss America from Chris Acchilleos series 1.....
Wanted the Silver or Gold versions or the signed version, never happened Frown Frown Frown
Reccently managed to get a signed print by Chris Acchilleos of that same Card Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile SMOOTH Smile Smile Smile Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
love the vicki vale Thumb Up funny it wasn t in my batman set,i can t just pic one fav card,so,brace yourselfs

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[EMAIL] [/EMAIL]

The PARADIGM sales,Playboy cards from the 90's had some beautiful images,I couldn t pick just one Smile

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[EMAIL] [/EMAIL]

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ryan

Having been a card collector for 50+ years are we talking cards from any era or the more modern version as I would go for any Trade card set issued in the UK from the 1950's but especially Brooke Bond like British Wild Life, Out into Space, Wild Flowers series 2 as I remember collecting those direct from the packets of tea. I also remember getting the Hornimans and Lyons Tea cards but they were more sporadic as my parents preferred Brooke Bond tea. A & BC gum cards were also acquired albeit with difficulty due to my parents not liking me having the bubble gum. At the time I did also amass a collection of all sorts of cigarette cards that were pre 1940 but I don't remember any specific series in the same manner as I do the tea cards as these cards were usually obtained in the school playground either by swopping or by playing "flickers" with them and the winner taking all. In those days the cards came in various thicknesses so one always kept the thickest until last because the winnings were larger.

Currently my favourite cards are from Kiddy's Favourites series called Popular Speedway Riders issued commercially in Glasgow about 1950, a set of 52 and I still only need three to complete the set. The reason they are a favourite is becaause I was a speedway fan and one of the cards features my wife's uncle. the cards are charactures.Ebay currently has a set on BIN for £225

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post