Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCGs for Beginners
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Hi all, Wave
I'm looking to start getting into Collectable Card Games. Decided to go with Lord of the Rings.

For those who play / collect CCGs and especially those who collect LOTR, can you recommend which set I should begin with?

And for more general CCGers any advice for beginner players/collectors? Thank you Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I had an early ill conceived interest in Magic shortly after it first went popular. I didn't stick with it after it became so overproduced and I found I had no interest in the game, but it took me years to get rid of the cards.

So my only advice to you would be to choose a game you can understand and want to play, not just collect. After all, the main function of CCG cards is to make decks that will beat other gamers.

You can be a gamer without even having a CCG collection, just enough decks to use. Or you can be a CCG player and a CCG collector. Or you can be a CCG card collector without ever playing. But if you are the latter, you will eventually be sorry you started. I was. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I played a few different CCGs in the past. Star Wars by Decipher and I causally played Magic: the Gathering with friends. Hyborian Gates was one that collected- the game mechanics were really wonky; Same with the X-files CCG.
My only advise is if you are playing, make sure you got some people who will play with you. Before going gung-ho into buying a lot of the game buy a starter set or enough packs to play the game. Some are fun. Others have a good concept but have cards that have issues and therefore the game itself is not fun.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are there any websites that list/index CCG cards like nslists.com and tradingcarddb.com do for nonsports cards?

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Are there any websites that list/index CCG cards like nslists.com and tradingcarddb.com do for nonsports cards?

I guess not . . .

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:

nslists includes LOTR CCG lists.Think they only include CCGs if related to a Non-Sport franchise.

I've found sites with dedicated lists if you look for specific sets or franchises. Not found a more 'general' site which includes numerous CCG checklists.

Possibly because CCGs unless major franchises like LOTR, Pokemon, MTG etc aren't as popular as Sports or even Non-Sport sets and franchises.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I played a few different CCGs in the past... Some are fun. Others have a good concept but have cards that have issues and therefore the game itself is not fun.

I've heard people say the new LOTR LCG is better conceptualised than the movie franchise tie in LOTR CCG.

Potentially because the newer LCG is based around the Tolkien / LOTR universe rather than the more restrictive CCG which had to follow the pre-set format of the films.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So now you are talking about a slightly different spin when you say LOTR LCG.

LCG is another coined term meaning Living Card Game. There is not a whole lot of difference between a TCG, Trading Card Game, and a CCG, Collectible Card Game. You can have a game that is called both, because the trading aspect is not restricted in any way. They are games with collectible cards that you certainly can trade if you want to. The key factor is that its blind buying.

A LCG, Living Card Game, is supposed to be different in that you are not blind buying booster packs, you are buying full decks. There may be a number of different decks, but they are complete, you don't mix cards from various decks. At least that's how the rules used to be.

Ideally the TCG or CCG, cost more money and to a certain extent are more creative because you can construct your own deck. While a LCG cost less money because you just have to buy the deck type you want to play. Of course you could buy all the decks, collect all the cards, and spend lots on a LCG too if you were interested in just having the cards, rather than sticking with just the game play.

So I have no knowledge of which one is better, but if I'm guessing, I would imagine that LOTR CCG might be good if you are looking to play, but LOTR LCG might be better if you are merely looking to collect cards from an LOTR tie in product. You should spend less money getting all the cards of an LCG than you would getting all the cards of a CCG that has both blind buying and short printed cards for rarity.

Whatever game you ultimately pick, it's important to know how the cards are being sold and how much money you will be spending to reach whatever your goal is, before you start poring money into it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
quote:

nslists includes LOTR CCG lists.Think they only include CCGs if related to a Non-Sport franchise.

I've found sites with dedicated lists if you look for specific sets or franchises. Not found a more 'general' site which includes numerous CCG checklists.

Possibly because CCGs unless major franchises like LOTR, Pokemon, MTG etc aren't as popular as Sports or even Non-Sport sets and franchises.

Here's my specific interest -- maybe you can guide me to sites that would be helpful.

One of my card interests is cards featuring magicians. These can be people who are famous as magicians, like Ricky Jay or Harry Anderson or Penn & Teller, or people who are famous for other reasons but are excellent magicians on the side, like Jason Alexander or Johnny Carson or Neil Patrick Harris. All of the above have NS trading cards. I've found one relevant CCG card (for Ricky Jay, as his James Bond "Tomorrow Never Dies" character Gupta), and wonder if there are others that I'd like to have. I know of three magicians who are on Star Trek trading cards -- I assume that there are ST CCG Cards, and wonder if these people may appear on them.
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, that's a super specific / niche collection you got there. Always wished I could come up with a great 'themed' (as i call it) collection like that. Creates an interesting collection, unique to your own interests.

As for your question, I'll do a bit of hunting around this week or next and see what if I can find any helpful information to aid your search. Wish me luck! Thumb Up

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a set or two about carnival Sideshows. I'm not sure if any magicians are included.

There are Houdini cards in a few sets including American Pie, Goodwin Champions and Panini Golden age, and there is a Houdini set by Frank Eachus.

There are also David Blaine cards (including autographs) in Allen and Ginter.

I'd suggest going to COMC and searching on Magician names you might be surprised what pops up.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Hey Bill, that's a super specific / niche collection you got there. Always wished I could come up with a great 'themed' (as i call it) collection like that. Creates an interesting collection, unique to your own interests.

I'm sure you could. What are your interests? Non-sports is so diverse, you could build a collection around just about anything. I used to correspond with a guy from West Virginia, and that's what he collected -- cards of people from West Virginia. A magician friend of mine collect Penn & Teller memorabilia, and I was able to clue him into half a dozen P&T cards that he didn't know anything about. A guy that used to deal in cards and would advertise in the Wrapper years ago (Brian Bigelow) would collect only cards with camels on them.

quote:
As for your question, I'll do a bit of hunting around this week or next and see what if I can find any helpful information to aid your search. Wish me luck! Thumb Up

I'd appreciate it!

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
There is a set or two about carnival Sideshows. I'm not sure if any magicians are included.

If you can post the set titles or other details, I can take it from there.

quote:

There are Houdini cards in a few sets including American Pie, Goodwin Champions and Panini Golden age, and there is a Houdini set by Frank Eachus.

There are also David Blaine cards (including autographs) in Allen and Ginter.

I'd suggest going to COMC and searching on Magician names you might be surprised what pops up.

I've done all that, and found many cards that way. (but I got my David Blaine autograph in person)