Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Master Sets

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8377000886

October 13, 2017, 05:09 PM
piko
Master Sets
What constitues a Master set I have a number of part sets wich with a bit of buying trading etc I think that I can make a Master set up. I have seen Master sets on E Bay and most of them seem to be missing something that I think would be included in a Master Set.Could someone on this forum advise on everything that needs to be collected to complete a master set.EG Inkworks used to send out a Pictorial envelope with order Info sheet order form and promo card Would this also need to be included
Piko
October 13, 2017, 08:27 PM
JeffThom
I think the definition of a master set can vary from collector to collector. For myself, I would consider a master set having all the promo cards, sell sheets, binder, a pack, wrapper, display box, base cards and all inserts.
However, the extent of the inserts is a bigger question. For example, do you get just one each of the parallel / numbered cards or try for a run? For sketch cards do you try for one sketch or a sketch from each artist? For relic cards do you get only one or try for all the variations? The combinations and possibilities are too numerous to list.....
October 13, 2017, 08:57 PM
piko
Yes This is what I mean There is no real defination of a master set as you say deciding wether to have a representation or all seems to be a moot point so I suppose that my idea of a master set wich would contain every card and item of a particular set can be different to what another collector would say was a master set of the same
October 13, 2017, 09:03 PM
Raven
Agreed, there is no iron clad definition of a master set, but certain standards have been pushed at certain times. So another consideration is the particular set you are thinking of trying to complete. If its an older product, the standard was probably tougher than what it is for a more recent set. Just as a lower priced product is usually easier to complete than a high end one. The standards for a master set on recent titles have had to soften, or else there would been no possibility of a master on nearly everything.

Basically I would say that anything pack inserted is still necessary, but some things only need a sampling. You need all base cards, all chase sets, all packed out autographs and relics, including costumes and props. An empty box, seal pack or sealed box might be advisable too.

For parallel sets it used to be everything also. If its an older title you would still need the single parallel, but newer sets may have 3 or 4 levels of parallels in colored, foil or numbered versions. That's too much money, so any one version should do, probably the cheapest.

With the incentive cards, you should get them if you can, but they are strictly speaking not part of the set if they had no seeded copies.

Promos are the same thing, good to have, but not part of the set. Hard core collectors always wanted to include them in masters, but now a days some titles have over 30 promos that are exclusively distributed. Who can do this?

Masters of sets with sketches used to require one sketch from every contributing artist. I do believe this has more or less been dropped now. I think only one sketch from anybody is necessary. Same thing with printing plates.

Variants and error cards is another issue. I think all variants and errors are still necessary in a master. The trick is properly identifying them because some people see variants and error cards where they do not exist.

Sell sheets and uncut sheets are associated more with older product. Again they are good to have, but I would like a sell sheet, but not uncut sheets. I consider them a separate type of collectible.

Binders? Well if you go to the trouble of collecting a master, you may as well have the binder. Big Grin

Just my view as I think of it, there are no rules. Smile
October 14, 2017, 07:43 AM
STCardGeek
The important thing is read what is written as being included. Because there is no established definition of a master set, you need to decide how it fits into YOUR definition and then bid accordingly, don't assume that if they say it's master, it's complete for you. They can use the word master, but only you can determine how it suits your views Smile
We all pick different lines in the sand and that's the only thing that matters. I don't collect wrappers, packs and empty boxes. Some people love them and I try only to pick on those people.... a little bit....in my head....

October 14, 2017, 02:07 PM
JOHN LEVITT
In my opinion a master set is almost impossible to define for any era of collecting. For example if collecting cigarette cards should you include the box or tin that the cards were issued in? With a modern issues some manufacturers also issued archive boxes or factory sets presumably in special boxes, should these form part of the master set. Different binders might also be issued as was for a Topps Mars Attack issue o few years ago as well as the different types of advertising material they may issue.

Personally I think a master set should be restricted to the cards that have been issued however that does not stop me from adding wrappers etc. to my album I put the cards in.

regards

John

October 16, 2017, 12:58 AM
Raven
I think there always was an understanding that a pack or box, sealed or opened, was not really required for a master. Not that it hurt to add anything extra, but it was only the more obsessive collectors who went well out of their way to get everything you could possibly think of.

Its also great to add promos and incentives and those exclusive archive box cards, but if the card wasn't seeded in packs, it is not considered part of the set.

I do believe that this was the basic idea and it was fairly straight forward until the ultra limited cards and 1/1s cropped up as the norm in most products. Once you have a card that's numbered to 5 copies and its in packs you can only have a total of 5 masters in existence. If you have 1/1s seeded you get one shot at a master. That's just impossible, so there has to be another way to achieve some form of completeness, even if its only in your mind. That's where the selective sampling comes in and how you arrive at that is an individual viewpoint.

I agree with Lynne completely. You can not trust the word Master if you are buying. People can legitimately have a very different understanding of what constitutes a master for specific sets.

Unfortunately the days of the completest on new sets is pretty much gone and its because card manufacturers gave collectors what they wanted, limited production to create artificial scarcity and in theory higher secondary market values. It worked, and now we have sets no one can finish and an average non-sport box SRP approaching $100 as the norm. Be careful what you ask for. Big Grin
October 16, 2017, 03:26 PM
Tommy C
I consider a master to be all base cards, all chase, all autos (if the set has any), and any case incentives and binder inserts

No promos, parallels, or unique 1/1 cards such as sketches, and no variants on anything
October 21, 2017, 02:53 AM
piko
Thank you all for your replies to my Master Set enquiry. It seems that there are several ways to describe a master set so it is all up to the buyer / seller to decide what comprises a Master Set. And to proceed accordingly
My idea was Base Set,All Inserts all pieceworks autographs redemption promo cards press sheet incentive cards some recognised variants sell sheet binder empty box. All of these have been mentioned in your replies in different formats so it seems that as there is no recognised listing that comprises a master set I myself must decide what I want in any master set that I want to compile
Thank You All who took their time to explain their ideas to me
Piko
November 12, 2017, 04:45 PM
wireside
It was a difficult transition.. but I now just buy the cards I like with no thought to the overall set composition.
Just random bits of this and that. A complete difference to how I used to collect.. growing up it was trying to get the 88 cards, 22 stickers.
I did put the effort to keep up during the 90's with Star Wars.. etc..
Even with unlimited money.. with so many 1/1's the entire concept of a complete master is not possible. Once I freed myself from that mindset,
collecting cards became super fun again. Smile
January 03, 2018, 08:33 AM
X
quote:
Originally posted by wireside:
It was a difficult transition.. but I now just buy the cards I like with no thought to the overall set composition.
Just random bits of this and that. A complete difference to how I used to collect.. growing up it was trying to get the 88 cards, 22 stickers.
I did put the effort to keep up during the 90's with Star Wars.. etc..
Even with unlimited money.. with so many 1/1's the entire concept of a complete master is not possible. Once I freed myself from that mindset,
collecting cards became super fun again. Smile

This!

Much more fun than just buying for the sake of it.
May 17, 2018, 07:21 PM
TC00
Initially a 'Master Set' was a collection housing every card issued for the set as per the manufacturers checklist (Like Inkworks (RIP) so kindly included).

Then the competition between manufacturers got silly and so many levels of 'Super Ultra Rare' cards and 1:1 or even those 'I heard a rumour but does this card even exist...' that unless you're a billionaire collector there's no way to obtain these 'Master' set anymore.

Of course Mini Master Sets are quite obtainable for those with extra cash. Which is the promos, base cards, all the lower level chase and a few of the upper level chase cards.

Honestly I only even focused on Master sets for one series (Charmed) and unless it's a basic set of most base cards and easy (low level) chase then I don't bother with them.

Collecting individual cards or base sets because you're interested in the subject matter is much more fun than the stress of being 'the one' to complete it.