Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
eBay Standard Envelope

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/8367084596

February 05, 2021, 01:36 PM
Will
eBay Standard Envelope
Has anyone else seen this new shipping feature on eBay, Standard Envelope? I've only just skimmed it, and this could prove interesting. Up to 15 raw cards or one sealed pack, with a maximum shipping cost of $0.91. There is a limit on the value of the card(s) that can be shipped, which is $20.00. No bubble mailers allowed, and the envelope sizes are somewhat small (max of 6 inches by 11 inches).

This could have a significant impact on the sales of cards, both sports and non-sports, on the site.
February 05, 2021, 01:42 PM
webjon
Definitely looks promising.
February 05, 2021, 01:49 PM
wolfie
when they say maximum cost $0.91 i assume that means within the usa only.

February 05, 2021, 07:19 PM
Will
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
when they say maximum cost $0.91 i assume that means within the usa only.

I would assume so, as that is actually slightly less than the retail postage of a three ounce letter mailed First Class within the US.
February 06, 2021, 04:15 AM
Scifi Cards
Maximum postage is 91 cents.

But...
Envelope and label cost money too
And, eBay charges fees on shipping.

I bought some photo mailers and will give it a try on promos. But it won't be 91 cents.

Good luck getting 15 cards in an envelope under the 1/4" thickness limit.

I'm curious how the Post Office handles these. If they have to go through the sorting machines, I see issues coming.

I'm skeptical that this is the huge game changer everyone thinks it is.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 06, 2021, 11:23 PM
webjon
I think the bigger impact for this change will be if it comes off of eBay. I'm pretty sure this includes tracking, which is the game changer in my opinion.

That said I haven't looked closely at the rules, but if you could send a card in a PWE with tracking for a buck I think that will open up trading more.
February 07, 2021, 05:24 AM
Scifi Cards
Yes, at least for now this is strictly an eBay thing. They negotiated the rate with USPS.

Some interesting things though...

They still print the label at 4x6. I haven't tried wrapping that around a traditional PWE.

I bought photo mailer envelopes (19 Cents) and a Label costs too (About 10 cents). So at 2 ounces the cost is actually $1.10 and 3 ounces is $1.30. I can't make the mailer and a toploaded card go to 1 ounce. Also keep in mind if you charge for shipping, eBay charges you FVF on the shipping amount.

So, we're getting this for about half price or so compared to a bubble mailer. Time will tell if cheaper shipping results in any more sales.

And yes, this is only domestic. International shipping still starts at about $13 for a tracked package.

Ed

March 11, 2021, 10:19 PM
dpolis
Has anybody had success getting a label made? I always get an error message. Won't let me make a labelFrown

David

March 12, 2021, 05:04 PM
promoking
Hi David,
Nice to see you're still collecting. On your issue, confirm that your cards are listed in the "trading card singles" category. Ebay staff told me that its the only category that allows for the discounted postage. Also, before you hit print, check the dimensions of your package on the page. Make them conform to the terms and requirements of the program or you will get the error message. lastly, refresh the page and re-click on Ebay, and the option to choose "trading cards under $20.00" should pop-up. I hope this helps.

March 12, 2021, 07:41 PM
barobehere
Anyone running into this? I have received several envelopes since the program started from the service which is fine but the sellers are not passing some of the savings on to buyers? This is what I would do as I like to charge exactly what my cost on shipping to make it a more satisfying experience. I guess that is why I am a a hobbyist and not a business.
March 13, 2021, 05:02 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Anyone running into this? I have received several envelopes since the program started from the service which is fine but the sellers are not passing some of the savings on to buyers? This is what I would do as I like to charge exactly what my cost on shipping to make it a more satisfying experience. I guess that is why I am a a hobbyist and not a business.

You do realize there are costs involved other than the postage?

Envelopes cost
Labels cost
And eBay charges you a fee on what the buyer pays for shipping.

So just because you see postage is 71 cents, you'll lose money if that's what you charge for shipping. I don't make money on shipping, but I darn sure try to make sure I don't lose money on every shipment.

Ed

March 13, 2021, 09:33 AM
barobehere
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

You do realize there are costs involved other than the postage?

Envelopes cost
Labels cost
And eBay charges you a fee on what the buyer pays for shipping.

So just because you see postage is 71 cents, you'll lose money if that's what you charge for shipping. I don't make money on shipping, but I darn sure try to make sure I don't lose money on every shipment.
Ed

Of course I do, ED.
I was noting that I have now encountered sellers who are using the new envelope program to pad their sales.
Maybe you do think costumers are so ill-informed or unintelligent that we don’t keep up with costs and think if I paid 1.00 for a card and get charged 5.00 on shipping and then do the match themselves that we can figure out how much was gained in shipping in some cases.
March 15, 2021, 06:19 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Of course I do, ED.
I was noting that I have now encountered sellers who are using the new envelope program to pad their sales.
Maybe you do think costumers are so ill-informed or unintelligent that we don’t keep up with costs and think if I paid 1.00 for a card and get charged 5.00 on shipping and then do the match themselves that we can figure out how much was gained in shipping in some cases.

Not necessarily you, but I have already got the "you can ship for 71 cents, eBay says so" emails.

If only all customers were informed customers. These are probably also the people that send $1 offers on $20 cards.

I ordered some photo mailers for this. But it's going to be a trial. All my auctions actually say shipping is in a bubble mailer, so the go down to a lesser envelope will involve editing hundreds of auctions. Not sure it's worth the effort.

But I know where you're coming from. I got my first one this week where postage was $3.50 and it came PWE. To add insult and confusion, the label does have the postage amount on it, so it reinforces the "you can ship for 71 cents" crowd. This is a tool to help sell dollar cards, and for that it might actually work.

Ed