Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    So...card prices are going crazy. Has this changed your collecting focus?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...card prices are going crazy. Has this changed your collecting focus?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH710:
I also considered Raven's point about the card being half price in two years... but the card in question is a Leonard Nimoy autograph, and I think that one is unlikely to drop so drastically.

Whenever you look to buy certified autograph cards there are 5 or 6 factors that you really have to consider based on the signer and the card, often as two separate things. That's why opinions in forum posts should be taken as more information, but not swallowed whole from anybody. It's up to you to evaluate what you find available and choose based on your priorities.

Leonard Nimoy signed a lot for RA and more new autographs were still coming out in Star Trek products as of a couple of years ago, long after his death. In addition he also signed in other titles like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Fringe, Big Bang Theory, a couple of the mixed bag celebrity sets and even his personal RA card from his website. Even though each card was on the limited production side, the totality of certified autographs from him is considerable and a variety of them are on sale over at eBay at any given time and sales are always active.

Now having said all that, if you think I'm going to say that you should have waited, surprise, I'm not. I hope you picked a good card and got a good price, but that depends on what you wanted and selected.

The way I see it, Nimoy autograph cards never got the big increase that usually happens after a celebrity dies. It was partially because his cards were limited and high priced already and partially because RA kept the stockpile coming. Up to last month, some of his Star Trek cards were still moving a little under or a little above $200. That's not much more than what they were when they were first released. Now of course certain cards are in greater demand and have higher prices, but there were still bargains even as the market went up for lesser names.

Nimoy is iconic to Star Trek and I don't think his autograph cards have even plateaued yet. So I would say better late than never and, depending on the card, you might well find your price doubled or more in two years. Only like I said, don't take the opinion of any forum poster for gospel, including mine. Big Grin Let us know in two years. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I think you're over-complicating things Raven with this "5 or 6 factors you have to consider" when buying an autograph card.

Whether a card goes up or down in price is always guess work and is always prone to fluctuation even in 'normal' times. The only thing that really matters is, is it worth it to the buyer?

To answer the original question, my collecting focus has not changed, but I have noticed as the non-sport hype train is building momemntum, more and more infrequently seen cards are coming out of the woodwork. I have picked up a few nice common and rare bits, most for a lot less than I was expecting.
But as ever, if a card is priced beyond its worth to me, then I will walk away. Another usually always turns up.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
The FOMO is growing a bit, I admit. There's one pricey (for me, anyway) card I'm debating, as in, am I going to regret not buying this in two years when it's doubled in cost?

I personally have never regretted the cards I've bought . . . only the ones I didn't buy or the ones I've sold.

This was helpful, thank you. It made me think in another way.

I also considered Raven's point about the card being half price in two years... but the card in question is a Leonard Nimoy autograph, and I think that one is unlikely to drop so drastically. Thus, after much debate as I've never spent so much on a single card, I placed my order today. I spent more for a particularly nice autograph, and I can't wait for it to come in.

I'm sure that Steve at RA said that either there was only one Nimoy card left to release, or they have released the last one.

There have always been a lot of Nimoy auto cards over the years to keep prices below insane, but there are no more to come, most true fans will hold onto the Nimoy autos they already have, and he will always be arguably the most iconic 'face' of Star Trek. So I don't think you could go too far wrong however much you've spent. I'd guess most of his cards are more likely to go up than down in the years to come but who knows? As long as you are happy, and you sound like you are(!), that is what counts.

As a Trek/Nimoy fan, I'd be interested to know which card you have gone for. My LLAP auto is one of my absolute favourite cards from everything I collect.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I think you're over-complicating things Raven with this "5 or 6 factors you have to consider" when buying an autograph card.

As a seasoned autograph card collector yourself X, I think you just want me to answer you. Big Grin You know all the factors already and its not over complicating at all. Its about looking at an autograph card objectively and deciding to select it or leave it based on which factors are most important to the particular collector. I'll write them out if you like, but that is off topic and its nothing you don't know and don't do yourself. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Thing is Raven, you don't need to be a 'seasoned' collector to buy these things. Most collectors do not have all the information around a card, a set, a franchise or an actor.

Just because I have very specific, and very subjective, criteria on cards I purchase doesn't mean anyone else needs to view their purchases the same way... A faded signature is a deal-breaker for me. I notice most collectors seem not to care, or even be able to recognise one.

Also, objective criteria, such as actual rarity/print run does not necessarily mean it should be a massive factor in what you pay for a card. A person may be very unrealistic in what they want to pay (if it's a lot less than the going rate), but that doesn't mean it's not possible with time and patience.

People buy what they like, and pay what they want to pay, based upon availabiilty and demand at a specific moment in time. Everthing else is just theory and does not always apply.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah you're right. You see an autograph card, you like it, you buy it, end of story. You don't have to know anything. But wouldn't it be nice if you did, especially if you think you might want to compile a collection of them.

And when I talk about factors to consider, I am talking about basic things, which everyone takes into account whether they give it much thought or not. Some of it is purely aesthetic. Do I like the design? Do I like the photo? Is it in character or not? Is the autograph quality acceptable? Does this signer write chicken scratch? How about the card condition, is it acceptable with or without grading?

That's just things you see at first glance and judge on a visual basis. Then comes the harder issues of price, rarity or quantity, card importance by demand of signer or set, potential for growth if that interests the buyer? Why do you want this signer or this card in the first place, because of the celebrity or because of the card and its place in a set? Does this signer appear often in sets or is he/she regarded as a tough autograph?

Is this the best choice now or can you find the same signer on another certified card that ticks off just as many or more boxes for you? Are you overpaying here when there is a cheaper alternative? Is there a reason why this card looks like a bargain or why it's more expensive then others?

Its not overcomplicating things to think about why this certified card is the right card for your motives and for your finances. Yes, the best use of money is always important. However if anyone just wants to throw money at something they see without thought, they are free to do it. Wink

That doesn't mean I shouldn't try to help autograph collectors who may need a couple of tips by mentioning factors to consider. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I'm sure that Steve at RA said that either there was only one Nimoy card left to release, or they have released the last one.

There have always been a lot of Nimoy auto cards over the years to keep prices below insane, but there are no more to come, most true fans will hold onto the Nimoy autos they already have, and he will always be arguably the most iconic 'face' of Star Trek. So I don't think you could go too far wrong however much you've spent. I'd guess most of his cards are more likely to go up than down in the years to come but who knows? As long as you are happy, and you sound like you are(!), that is what counts.

As a Trek/Nimoy fan, I'd be interested to know which card you have gone for. My LLAP auto is one of my absolute favourite cards from everything I collect.

I got an Inflexions Bridge Crew autograph. I think the style and photo are especially attractive on that design. Speaking of Raven's subjective factors, I wanted a neater version of his autograph. So I definitely paid a premium, but his autographs seem to have a range and there are fewer crisp ones than scrawl versions.

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the the original title of the thread...

I walked into a sports card store last week to get top loaders and other cases and was gobsmacked at the prices of boxes of sports cards. Now, I love sports, but 450 a box? Yikes. Thank god I prefer non-sports.

Posts: 182 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
That Inflexions card could easily be considered the best looking Nimoy auto of them all. Completely agree - great photo and card design.

I've always thought Nimoy offered a pretty consistent signature but I also search for what I think are nicer examples from certain signers I really like.

Congrats on the pick up. Thumb Up