Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Recent card discoveries you might not know about.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent card discoveries you might not know about.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Here are some new and recent discoveries that may be of interest to some of you. I have all but one of these cards.
1. Judge Dredd - We all know that Proto 1 has two different type faces but I have recently discovered two different card backs One is the (seeming) cut-out from the full page promo. However there is at least two people on the 'bay selling lots of 50 of these promos which indicates to me that they were manufactured. Also there is another (again) different back. That makes four different promos to collect.
2. Best of Hildebrandts 6xinsert cards come in both shiny (uv coated) and in matt. The difference is very noticable.
3. Legends Of Batman (Kenner). It turns out that not only is there an original set (1-28) but another two sets. One with card numbers on the front and rounded corners. There is also a short set of 7 product placement set.
4. A Ray Bradbury promo #4 also exists in an alternate back with no #.
5. The Lady Death promo Chaos comics has an alternate back (front says Wizard)

Hope that this helps someone.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, it certainly helps me. I'm always looking for more promo information.

Maybe 15-16 years ago, someone was selling Judge Dredd protos in a lot very cheap (maybe 25-30 of each for $5) and I couldn't resist buying it. I've been on-the-road for work for about two weeks so I will have see if I have any of the different backs when I get back next week.

Thanks for letting us know.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have just looked at the 2005 and 2008 editions of PCE and both indicate that the Judge Dredd cards differ in cards backs as well as text size on the front. My impression is that the thin letters show one type of back and the thick letters another type. Is this the case or is there a possibility of both backs and text fronts being mixed thus making 24 different, i.e. 4 per number?

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On Judge Dredd, are you sure that the one with the same back as the sheet wasn't cut from the sheet ? Maybe someone cut up 50 sheets. I see one auction right now, where the person actually says that the card was "from the sheet"

On Ray Bradbury, yes, the card # 4 also comes with a totally different checklist back

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I have just looked at the 2005 and 2008 editions of PCE and both indicate that the Judge Dredd cards differ in cards backs as well as text size on the front. My impression is that the thin letters show one type of back and the thick letters another type. Is this the case or is there a possibility of both backs and text fronts being mixed thus making 24 different, i.e. 4 per number? [unquote]

A list of what I have got in Proto 1 is as follows:
1. Front with words Judge Dredd at top thick font , / Back - text
2. As above but with thin font/ Back as above but marginally darker.
3. Front with words at bottom of card plus name of artist (reads) Art By Gary Stapl@Tommyes/ Back artwork.
4. Front name at bottom of card but no artists name plus the Dredd shield is in the top right corner. Back is same artwork as is on the cut card from the full sheet promo.

@Tommy The guy on the 'bay was selling a lot of 50 of promo #4 (above) which begs the question why would he bother cutting up 50 pages to make a new promo? What was his motivation- profit? I don't think so. Which leads me to suppose that it was actually a manufacturer's decision.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
btlfannz

Many thanks for the information.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this info. It is quite helpful.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Legends of Batman has another two sets - the European ones. Each set has three different languages on the back; one is UK/E/IT (English, Spanish, Italian) and I don't appear to still have any of the other but the languages are French, Dutch and German. Reverse of UK/E/IT is here.

Do you mean the Sugar Puffs set for product placement? If so, that was an 8 card set. Also, the same cards were available in a much rarer Joker version marked 9-16 (the competition winning cards). Image of Sugar Puffs standard and Joker versions.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whenever I look at promos on the "bay," I see several sellers offering promo lots of 10, 25, 50 or more. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, various dealers ended up with stacks of regular-sized and oversized promos (leftovers from shows). Oversized ones were not good sellers so some dealers cut them up when a regular-sized card image was on the front even if the back didn't line up right and they tried selling those singles. Some did sell but collectors caught on to what was happening and stopped falling for the "new" promo ploy as it was just a card cut from the sheet.

Cut to the present. Those unsold cards ended up somewhere or maybe someone did cut up the sheets recently to save space or maybe the sheets had wear but singles could be salvaged with careful cutting. I have a couple of cards that were cut from sheets (a Tyrannosaurus card from Star Pics Dino cards set; a Nick Fury card) but I wouldn't list them as separate promos put out by their companies. I haven't heard of a manufacturer cutting up one of its promos to make another. The back is just as important as it tends to carry a specially-worded pitch to promote the product. I guess it's possible a company might rethink what it has done (a last-minute decision for a particular show?) and cut up the sheets if the backs of the cut card bear some kind of description of the set and the name of the company but it doesn't sound right to me. I can't say you're wrong. I don't know.

For something like that Todd Jordan might have listed it in his "Tomb of the Unknown" section of Promo Card Encyclopedia - sort of a purgatory for cards that might be promos but no one has been able to confirm their sources.

quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I have just looked at the 2005 and 2008 editions of PCE and both indicate that the Judge Dredd cards differ in cards backs as well as text size on the front. My impression is that the thin letters show one type of back and the thick letters another type. Is this the case or is there a possibility of both backs and text fronts being mixed thus making 24 different, i.e. 4 per number? [unquote]

A list of what I have got in Proto 1 is as follows:
1. Front with words Judge Dredd at top thick font , / Back - text
2. As above but with thin font/ Back as above but marginally darker.
3. Front with words at bottom of card plus name of artist (reads) Art By Gary Stapl@Tommyes/ Back artwork.
4. Front name at bottom of card but no artists name plus the Dredd shield is in the top right corner. Back is same artwork as is on the cut card from the full sheet promo.

@Tommy The guy on the 'bay was selling a lot of 50 of promo #4 (above) which begs the question why would he bother cutting up 50 pages to make a new promo? What was his motivation- profit? I don't think so. Which leads me to suppose that it was actually a manufacturer's decision.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post