Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight Zone Autos
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks - it's funny, the listing says 'ultra rare - could be the only one'. It can't be that rare, I have 2 of them. Thought I had my next vacation paid for!
Oh well...

Posts: 9 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I think I need about 10 to 15 as well to have them all, and I'm with you, Bill, some of my favorites aren't necessarily the most valuable ones.

I wish more card collectors would say that because, when asked for their favorite cards, a lot of people pull out a list of all the most expensive cards they own to be impressive. Money and favorites should not be the same thing all the time. I own many autograph cards that I consider hidden treasures, even though they are only mid-range or even commons. They impress no one but me. Wink

For the Twilight Zone I have one favorite card, the Rod Taylor A9. He starred in two old films I really like, The Time Machine and Fate is the Hunter, and his only autograph card reminds me of them. Most Si-Fi fans have seen Time Machine, but if you never heard of Fate is the Hunter try to catch it on the old movie channel. It was NEVER released in VHS or DVD, but the first ten minutes will have you watching it to the end.

My next favorite TZ autograph card is the Julie Newmar A50. She has cute horns and its Catwoman, what more is there to say.

And the third one is a common, Lois Nettleton A75. I remember that episode well and that card is different in that there are the eyes in the background.

If I ever got the William Shatner A1 it would probably knock out the Nettleton, not because its way more expensive, but because the gremlin on the plane wing is THE classic TZ episode to me.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually think Twilight Zone is the set where the "common" autographs are appreciated the most. Partly because so many of them were very popular character actors of their day and were seen on a variety of shows. I can't watch an episode of Bonanza without seeing someone in it from either Twilight Zone or Star Trek. And another reason of course is so many of the Twilight Zone episodes are classics and well-remembered. Plus most of the signatures of the old-timers are much more legible and "fuller" than the actors of today. I would take any and all TZ autos I can get, no matter how insignificant the character might seem. I'll be very sad when the sets stop coming, which may well be after the next one.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It's true. It was a REALLY good idea to do some kind of work, any kind of work, for CBS back in those days. One job would lead to another, and a lot of times those who appeared in bit roles and supporting roles (in anthology series like Twilight Zone along with sitcoms and hour long dramas) later ended up starring in series of their own.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I think I need about 10 to 15 as well to have them all, and I'm with you, Bill, some of my favorites aren't necessarily the most valuable ones.

My next favorite TZ autograph card is the Julie Newmar A50. She has cute horns and its Catwoman, what more is there to say.

And the third one is a common, Lois Nettleton A75. I remember that episode well and that card is different in that there are the eyes in the background.

The Nettleton is a really nice one, I think they used a publicity shot as opposed to a screen grab for that one. I loved that episode, it was really well acted. As a kid, the three that really freaked me out were "Third From the Sun", "Five Characters In Search of an Exit" and "Little Girl Lost".

As for my own set, most of the ones I'm missing are from Series 3, so you can imagine how delighted I was to just the other day open a box of that and find the Newmar you mentioned which I'm really glad to at last add to the album. I think the only $100+ ones ((actually $200+ ones!) I still need are Nimoy and Elizabeth Allen. Might be a while on those....

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I lied. I don't have the cut Serling auto card - yet! And my favorites are also not the most well-known actors but I'm too lazy right now to go through the binders.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Victory_is_Mine!!
posted Hide Post
I was one of the lucky ones to pull a Serling Cut years ago. I had opened 14 boxes trying to put a master set together weeks before. I decided to try a handful of packs one day while on my lunch break, and after having had poor luck with a batch of sports cards I had just opened. The Serling was in 1 of the packs, and I about ripped it in half in my excitement. I had to let someone else put it in a topload for me as I just couldn't calm down.

I think I posted picks of it on here when it happened. Maybe on the Box Break thread. If not, I have scans on my work computer front and back and can try and post them again if anyone would like to see it.

I listed it on ebay briefly for an incredibly high price, knowing what the first one had sold for, and also knowing I had no intention to sell it, but wanted people to know 1 had surfaced. In talking to Rittenhouse, at the time, they had numbers 1 and 5 in their vault, and 2, 3, and 4 were inserted in packs, if I remember correctly.

The card is no longer in my collection, as a collector that had bookmarked it on ebay kept after me for a very long time, and finally caught me in a weak moment and purchased it around Christmas time a year or so after I pulled it.

I have had a lot of good pulls over the years, but this one was my "Lottery" winner, I guess.

Posts: 86 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool story! What did it sell for, if you don't mind saying.

Picture of Victory_is_Mine!!
posted Hide Post
He paid $3000 for it. He assured me it was going to a good home. Smile

Posts: 86 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heh, yes, any home wherein someone who lives there can spend 3K on a single card is probably a pretty nice place!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Twilight Zone, (ahem... goes off topic slightly) can anyone tell me what this card is? Twilight Zone The Next Dimension ROD STERLING HALL OF FAME CARD H1.

The Hall of Fame cards I'm familiar with start with H1 William Shatner.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"As a special bonus to dealers and collectors who purchase full 12-box cases, Rittenhouse inserted a Rod Serling Hall of Fame Card signed by Steven M. Charendoff (president of Rittenhouse Archives) that was limited to 777 cards"

This is from the Rittenhouse Website description of Twilight Zone II : The Next Dimension from 2000. So basically, it was a case-topper meaning along with the A-38 Pat Hingle card, case purchasers received two case toppers. It also means there are two different H1 cards in the set. The Serling from Series 2 and the Shatner from Series 3.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Thought it might have been something like that.
Thank you for the info.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just reading this thread after looking through my Twilight Zone autographs and I was wondering if anyone knew of all the variations that were available in the 5 sets? Currently I have Richard Kiel with 9/13/99 & Hi! inscriptions (believe he has a Greetings one as well), Gloria Pall (no inscription & Way Out! inscription), Ben Cooper (no inscription, Cheers, Luck, Be Happy & Regards inscriptions), Morgan Brittany & Morgan Brittany/Suzanne Cupito, Paul Comi (blue and black ink). I also understand that Barbara Perry has a card with no inscription and Arlene Martel has cards signed as Arline Saxx. If anyone has pics of any I don't have I would love to see them. Thanks!

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I was leafing through my COMPLETE TWILIGHT ZONE and have these:

Tom Reese A-100, signed in three different ways

Doris Singleton A-118, thick blue ink, thin blue ink

Earl Holliman A-120, name on one line, name on two lines

Louis Elias A-137, thick and thin blue ink

Joyce Van Patten A-146, various Xs under name, I have four variations

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the Gloria Pall with the stars was an aftermarket thing, and the ones that were pack issued had no enhancements. You could get the starred ones directly from her for a time.

There are also aftermarket variants of the rare A15 Elizabeth Allen card that her nephew was selling after she passed away. They were "voided" by the nephew so that collectors could get the cards she didn't return without the risk of anyone signing them for her. I believe the void mark read "From the Estate of Elizabeth Allen".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Shortly after The Complete Twilight Zone set was released I saw on eBay a Susan Harrison variant where she put "Always the Ballerina" above her name. It was grabbed quickly at a "Buy it Now" of around $100. I have yet to see another like it and to this day I still regret not pulling the trigger on that one. It's probably the coolest TZ variant I've ever seen. Plus it's from one of my top 5 favorite TZ episodes. Nothing beats watching "Five Characters in Search of an Exit" for the very first time without knowing the ending. Smile

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I wish I'd seen that Ballerina card myself!

I just checked my Elizabeth Allen cards. I remember contacting her nephew and for some reason the card he sent me has no printing or estate indication on it. I think he did that after he sent out some of the cards.

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I now have a few more cards to track down. I would have paid triple that amount for that Harrison autograph and inscription. I loved that episode. I have a box of the complete TZ coming in on Monday. I would love to keep it intact, but I am not going to. Does anyone own the Arlene Martel/Arlene Sax variant card? I didn't know the Pall variants were added later. You didn't by chance take a pic of the Harrison variant? That would be great to just have an image.

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bacall:
You didn't by chance take a pic of the Harrison variant? That would be great to just have an image.

Sorry but I didn't save the image, though I should have. The cards just came out at the time and I didn't know it was going to be that rare or even possibly a 1 of 1 but it looks like it may be. I checked Worthpoint twice too and couldn't find it. Shake Head

All this Twilight Zone talk makes me wish that Rittenhouse was able to put one final full set together. I know it's not likely at this point, though it's through no fault of theirs. There's just so few actors from the series still with us unfortunately. I know that they have a few more autographs in house so hopefully they can put together some kind of expansion release at the very least before we can put Rittenhouse Twilight Zone cards to bed. Frown It's been a fantastic run. Clap