Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gum
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Are there any trading cards coming out anymore that have the old powdery stick of gum that Topps used to have?

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I am going to say no on health & safety grounds but that is just an assumption on my part.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
It's funny when you think of it but Topps sold gum. The cards were incentive to buy gum. They were free with the gum for 5 cents.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I always preferred Bazooka. I could be wrong, but I can't ever recall getting a good chew from those packs. The stick just cracked and broke up into little pink pieces with white smeary powder. Sorry TOPPS. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Monsterwax's "Lost in Space: The Art of Ron Gross" from last year has a stick of gum in every pack. The Mario Super Sluggers promo pack from 2008 had an individually-packed stick of gum much like the old gum of the 70's.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The last Monsterwax set also had sticks of gum in every pack and they were Wrigleys inserted in penny sleeves which were slightly folded to fit the pack. Quite a laborious job with over a thousand to do.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
The gum in the card packs was pretty good when fresh. I chewed a lot of it. It was the same as Dubble Bubble or Bazooka depending on which brand of cards you bought (Fleer or Topps).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ace of Hearts,

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
My favorite are the mid-1990s, stamped bubble gum promotional Superman cards. A sealed in clear plastic, slightly oversized piece of gum, factory stamped on the gum itself with promo info on the then upcoming Superman trading card set. Very innovative.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Albert, there was one for the Batman Animated set, as well. I have both.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I draw the line at collecting gum. And that Lois & Clark chocolate bar too. Candy is meant to be eaten!

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had both those promo gums but thought they might deteriorate over time with the print becoming illegible so I sold those years ago. I saw someone selling the Superman one last year and it still looked like it was in good shape.

I have at least one of the Ken Griffey Jr. candy bar promos - a card that promotes a candy bar and there are color variations.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I draw the line at collecting gum. And that Lois & Clark chocolate bar too. Candy is meant to be eaten!

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post