Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    jeff allender's house of checklists
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jeff allender's house of checklists
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
he answered me pretty fast just didnt have any info for me

Posts: 91 | Location: ma | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Continued strange. I returned home to busted air conditioning, so fixing that was higher priority than updating web pages at 95°F.

Early this month the web host moved everything to a new server, and said the DNS address would change. Some other things did too. I already had a redirect page at "nslists.com/index.htm" but now it insisted that it be "nslists.com/index.html". So I now have both. File names in the list indexes became case-sensitive, but luckily I seem to have had only 3 'offending' index entries.

I try to keep everything stone age so that it works with old browsers, but that's the first time I've seen a dot-four file extension *required."

I guess being dropped from the front page by Google was related to the DNS change, and the site should move back up over time. I never had that problem before. Google seems to have all of the individual files. (Tip, if you want to do a keyword search: try something like " 'card talk' site:nslists.com ")

Let me know if you see any other glitches.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
allender, nice to know you are okay and it was just a site problem.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard from Jeff lately ? His website has not been updated in over a year.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
He hasn't posted here since November 2020, but maybe he's just taking a break. We all ebb and flow when it comes to cards. Keeping up that website has to be a labor of love for him. I would hope someone would have mentioned it if something was wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
I saw Jeff posted July 27, 2021, so I figured all was good. Then I checked again and saw it was 2012, and got worried! (Damn that dyslexia!) However, the website is up and running well. Let's hope Jeff if fine.

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I actually am concerned. I noticed his house of checklists page and his Facebook page was a bit inactive and I sent him a message to see if he was doing well months on Facebook messenger and never heard back which is odd.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he's been like clockwork with the quarterly updates and he posted here and there last year. Anyone here ever visit him or talk to him on the phone or know someone who has?

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I actually am concerned. I noticed his house of checklists page and his Facebook page was a bit inactive and I sent him a message to see if he was doing well months on Facebook messenger and never heard back which is odd.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I checked in with Jeff just a bit ago. He replied and said he has some "real life" stuff going on and is well. I was concerned too. I did not get an update on his checklist updates though unfortunately.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well done Harris. Clap

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, good to hear. Most non-sport card collectors are familiar with Jeff just from his checklists. There have been many posts on Card Talk, so you get to feel like you know some people, even when you have no idea who they are because you'll never meet them. Big Grin

Jeff's always been friendly to me and we all appreciate his website. It's been a trying time for everyone in a lot of ways no one ever thought about. I'm happy he's well and I wish him a speedy return to form. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, Allender's site is an incredible resource. It's closer than anything else we have to a comprehensive checklist of everything. The Beckett Non-Sport Almanac attempts to be the best price guide to cards that have sold recently but the Allender site is what you consult when you want to see the whole listing of what's in a set (whether it's hot or not) and a lot of the listings have helpful side notes.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jeff's site is the best for checklists.

Unfortunately, since there have been no updates since mid-2020, I don't know what is out there with respect to Topps Star Wars cards released over the past year, in terms of lists of chase cards, etc. I really rely heavily upon his info !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, you can always check Beckett. You don't have to have a subscription to just look at a checklist. I'm usually very thorough with getting these in there. Granted, sometimes finding con exclusives can be difficult but if it is a mainstream product or from the Now/Living line, it's usually in there.

Posts: 274 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

If it's just Star Wars cards from the last year, you can go back through NSU issues and check some threads here and maybe a couple of other sites and put some listings together yourself. Others here collecting the same sets might be able to answer particular questions you have along the way.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Yes, Jeff's site is the best for checklists.

Unfortunately, since there have been no updates since mid-2020, I don't know what is out there with respect to Topps Star Wars cards released over the past year, in terms of lists of chase cards, etc. I really rely heavily upon his info !

Picture of bealay
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Jeff is okay - would love to interview him for the podcast someday soon.

I also collect Black Cat cards. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Posts: 275 | Location: Norwich, UK | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
I checked in with Jeff just a bit ago. He replied and said he has some "real life" stuff going on and is well. I was concerned too. I did not get an update on his checklist updates though unfortunately.

I'm a little late to the party, but glad to hear Jeff is doing okay. His site is incredibly helpful, especially for older releases. Hope he is back up and running again soon!

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear Jeff is doing, even if real life is being cruel. We share a love of hoarding checklists Wink))

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any news on Jeff Allender and his site?

Posts: 1 | Location: Hamden, CT | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had actually talked with him last year when I inquired about the site. We message several times, and in my opinion, he is done.

He first cited family and personal health issues. He didn't go into details, but did say if things got back to normal, he would look in to getting back t the site.

He also cited technical and time as two other issues.

Here is an excerpt from one of our conversations.

"I feel more guilty about having neglected the smaller cardmakers. When I resume, I'll have to slog through all of the online weekly sets from Topps etc. That's after I find a way to move the list making over from the old computer, which was so much better configured to do what I wanted to do, without the garbage in later software versions. One reason I kept the ancient text-only format is because it works for every browser, and anybody can download the information if they wish to put them in their own database or whatever. Some people petitioned me to set up a site-wide search function, and I started adding category keywords at the bottom, but all I need to do is tell people the easy trick of doing it with Google. (Every file is stored at the top level of the domain.) I expect I can add many many sets using the CC template and the hard work will be verifying things and, in many cases, tracking down card titles if the cardmaker lists don't give them. (I don't like it when cards 1-9 are shown with the same "title"; that's a subset, not a title.) But really, I tend to consider my lists a bit of a niche; most collectors are satisfied with a set composition for base and low insert sets. If I don't have a list posted, though, I won't get emails from the other contributors, which I had trouble keeping up with unless it was simple. If it needs research, it sometimes gets buried ... like when you asked about Blade promos in 2017. The good news is that a lot of older oddballs show up on eBay."

I offered to help him as I have some experience on text driven sites as an admin. He declined, which I understand. It's his baby. Through our talks, it sounds like he has lost interests in keeping up with the site, most likely because of the time it would take to get the site back up to date. Each month that goes by puts him further behind.

I might reach out to him again just to see how things in his life are doing. Without knowing, things may be worse which are keeping him from getting back to updating the site.

Has anyone else contacted more recently?

Posts: 96 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post