Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    jeff allender's house of checklists
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jeff allender's house of checklists
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would hate to see the site rot away. There's nothing else like it. Jeff is a super-cool guy, too. But at the end of the day it's a hobby, and real life is way more important.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

at the end of the day it's a hobby, and real life is way more important.

It is?...nobody ever told me this. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wish Jeff the best.

His site is one of the most important in the hobby.

Regardless of it's future the House of Checklists has been an insanely valuable resource.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
The site is one of my go-tos when trying to find information on a set or a card. Lots of good information

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The last update to the checklists was June 2020 and it would take enormous time and effort to try to add all the products that have been released since that time. When you consider how comprehensive the website was, it's a wonder Jeff was inclined to put that much into it for as long as he did. I'm sure we all thank him for it too.

The pandemic changed a lot of people in many different ways. Some physically, some an adjustment in lifestyle and attitude, some both. I know there are lots of things that I did before that I either can't or won't do now. No explanations are necessary, I just hope that he is fine and doing well. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Webjon, we had actually talked about you. He talked about how the two of you traded and how he used your blog for forgeries.

We had also talked briefly about Cardboard Connection. He agreed it was a great place for info. It's possible he is "letting' Cardboard simply take over the what he had done for so many years. Between the two sites, I can pretty much find info on any sets.

If he does decide to get back into it, he will need help. I can't see him filling in all of the sets these past 3 years by himself.

Bill

Posts: 96 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chilly55:
Webjon, we had actually talked about you. He talked about how the two of you traded and how he used your blog for forgeries.

We had also talked briefly about Cardboard Connection. He agreed it was a great place for info. It's possible he is "letting' Cardboard simply take over the what he had done for so many years. Between the two sites, I can pretty much find info on any sets.

If he does decide to get back into it, he will need help. I can't see him filling in all of the sets these past 3 years by himself.

Bill

Jeff and I did indeed trade and like many of us I sent in updates for him -- I'm glad to hear he found my blog useful.

Cardboard Connection is a pretty good site. It seems to be a for profit enterprise -- which can definitely be a good thing for longevity if you can get the right economics. There are risks giving (or selling) a site to a for profit company.

One forum I've been using for a very long time recently announced it was closing because it's parent site no longer thought it was bringing in enough traffic to the main business. Instead of setting the site free they are killing it. The site was independent until it became very successful. Initially I thought it was great that it was bought, but now it's just dead.

If he isn't looking to sell he could open source it. That way many sites could use the data -- although realistically there don't seem to be many entertainment card websites anymore.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I decided to make a local copy of the site, just in case it should go away at some point.

Too valuable of a tool to lose.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Great Idea. I know it’s saved me a lot of time digging, trying to find out what card was from which set.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by Chilly55:

Bill

Jeff and I did indeed trade and like many of us I sent in updates for him -- I'm glad to hear he found my blog useful.

Cardboard Connection is a pretty good site. It seems to be a for profit enterprise -- which can definitely be a good thing for longevity if you can get the right economics. There are risks giving (or selling) a site to a for profit company.

One forum I've been using for a very long time recently announced it was closing because it's parent site no longer thought it was bringing in enough traffic to the main business. Instead of setting the site free they are killing it. The site was independent until it became very successful. Initially I thought it was great that it was bought, but now it's just dead.

If he isn't looking to sell he could open source it. That way many sites could use the data -- although realistically there don't seem to be many entertainment card websites anymore.

Do you still have your blog, Webjon?

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:

Do you still have your blog, Webjon?

I have all of the data from the site, but restoring it would be extremely difficult due to it requiring blog software and plug ins.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Got a reminder of this today while looking up an old card. Yeah, I don't see any chance of anybody catching up on the cards here, but so far the site is preserved.

Many thanks to Jeff Allender for all his work and I do hope he is doing well, as that is the only thing that really is important. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That should be DOCTOR Allender -- show some respect!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-allender-b6892b22/

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post