Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Alias Season 1 PW3 card really that rare?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alias Season 1 PW3 card really that rare?
 Login/Join

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted
Hi everyone saw on Ebay The Alias Season 1 PW3 card for sale. Bidding went up to $520.00 and still it wasn't sold because "Reserve not met"

Honestly I'm shocked. I know this version is more rare then then the outfit one (LOL not rare at all)

But really worth more the 520? Why? Does anyone have it in their collection and if you do how much did you pay for it?

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've got it, but for the life of me I can't remember what I paid for it.

See it there right in the middle?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The legendary Roll Eyes beaded hat . I am relying on a nearly 20 year old memory of Alan Caplan at the NEC in Birmingham where he told me that the hat was so small and the material so thick and awkward to cut they could only make 63 cards out of it .

It's the only card I don't have for a complete master set of all the Alias cards Frown . It's one of the few cards I can't remember Darren from Cards Inc listing and he got the job lot of memorabilia cards when Inkworks stopped trading.

Even with all that I still think $520 is a pretty good price for a card from a show off the air for over 10 years. I think the last one I tried to win on Ebay sold for about £350 although that was a few years ago.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I saw the auction, good to see cards holding (and increasing) in value

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasnt that card given as a case incentive .
Also the decorative beading on the costume was used for another case incentive card .I think hat 8 case beading 3 case .I have been trying to get them for a while waiting for a cheaper one .
But hardly ever see the Hat Band

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is no way to predict or even rationalize prices in this hobby. The Alias Season 1 PW3 lists for $125 - $200 in the 2019 Non-Sport Almanac. The A1 Garner autograph lists for $120 - $250. I would take an autograph over a bead any day. Big Grin

Even if it is only 63 cards, that's way more than some relics of a similar nature. I guess the answer is that they are largely not coming out of old collections and there are still at least a few people looking for them despite the fact that it was ages ago. But to pay more than twice the high guide seems too much, unless you know that the guide is wrong by recent Alias card sales data. Then someone should inform Beckett. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardaddict,

Somebody's a big Stephen King fan. I get it but how many copies of "The Stand" do you have? I assume there are more to the left.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Stephen Who?
Only 14, counting the paperbacks and the three volume PS Publishing edition.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Also the decorative beading on the costume was used for another case incentive card .I think hat 8 case beading 3 case .I have been trying to get them for a while waiting for a cheaper one .

I think you are thinking of the season two cowboy outfit cards to the left of the season one beaded hat card in the photo which was definitely a pack inserted redemption card. They were multi case incentives and were rare and expensive when the set was first released .

Like so many other Inkworks cards the price fell dramatically when Inkworks shut down . Darren was selling them on Ebay for many weeks and the prices for even the nicest variants was under £40 by the end as opposed to over £200 when the set was originally released .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

No, the Season 1 PW3 was by redemption in packs.

You're thinking of the Season 2 set that had the premium thick cards as incentives. There were no incentives for Season 1.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I've got it, but for the life of me I can't remember what I paid for it.
See it there right in the middle?

Wow amazing collection. Also love Stephen King books. Got lots of them as well.
Never knew the Cowboy-head card was so thick! Whoah! That doesn't fit in sleeves, good to know. Your cards looks beautiful. I'm waiting for the metallic outfit card to arrive in the mail Smile Not so rare, but love this card.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
The legendary Roll Eyes beaded hat . I am relying on a nearly 20 year old memory of Alan Caplan at the NEC in Birmingham where he told me that the hat was so small and the material so thick and awkward to cut they could only make 63 cards out of it .

It's the only card I don't have for a complete master set of all the Alias cards Frown . It's one of the few cards I can't remember Darren from Cards Inc listing and he got the job lot of memorabilia cards when Inkworks stopped trading.

Even with all that I still think $520 is a pretty good price for a card from a show off the air for over 10 years. I think the last one I tried to win on Ebay sold for about £350 although that was a few years ago.

Ahhh so only 63 are made. So now it makes sense. This card didn't sell for 520. The bidders tried to win it but the minimum the seller wanted wasn't what they bid on. So who knows how much the seller wants and if anyone ever bids high enough to win it. It's listed again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicole_oncer,

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Whatever price they want, I'd want an unmarked redemption card with it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
All I remember is, every time I went to the card show and my dealer pulled these out I had to buy every one! I pulled some from the shelves and lined them up. Most are way too thick to put in binder sleeves, and I believe they are in the cases supplied by Inkworks. The pictures do not do them justice, it's hard to get a decent picture with a flash, and without a flash, even with a tripod, they look horrible.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Oops, missed one!
Along with the redemption cards for the hat and the dress.

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most are way too thick to put in binder sleeves, and I believe they are in the cases supplied by Inkworks.

Your collection is amazing!! You must be so proud. I love it. The Pieceworks cards that I have from Alias so far all fit into sleeves. What about this one from Alias? (Alias Season 1 Costume Card PW2) Does it fit into a sleeve? I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I want to store it in my binder. So I hope it fits with the others.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That is a thick card, not the thickest, and you could probably force it into a binder sleeve, but I would definitely not recommend doing so.

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a thick card, not the thickest, and you could probably force it into a binder sleeve, but I would definitely not recommend doing so.

Why would you advise against it? You think it gets damaged?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I looked at the auction and saw that there were just two bidders from beginning to end. I know a lot of people like to wait until the end to get a bid in but they likely decided just to watch after a certain money level, so yeah, I guess you could say that's the high end of the value. Who knows what the crazy price (uh, reserve) was. It makes me wonder if the reserve was lowered to $500 for the relisting or if there's a hope that the hype will get more eyes and more money on it. It sounds like there is still a lot of interest in the card in any case.

As for the value in the Almanac, you might look through back issues of NSU to see what the value was maybe 15 years ago, 10 years ago and then 5 years ago to get an idea if the number reflects an old value rather than what seems to be a higher current range.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There is no way to predict or even rationalize prices in this hobby. The Alias Season 1 PW3 lists for $125 - $200 in the 2019 Non-Sport Almanac. The A1 Garner autograph lists for $120 - $250. I would take an autograph over a bead any day. Big Grin

Even if it is only 63 cards, that's way more than some relics of a similar nature. I guess the answer is that they are largely not coming out of old collections and there are still at least a few people looking for them despite the fact that it was ages ago. But to pay more than twice the high guide seems too much, unless you know that the guide is wrong by recent Alias card sales data. Then someone should inform Beckett. Wink

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Yes, you risk damaging the card by forcing it into the page, even though the plastic will stretch. I'm guilty of that myself though, with thicker sketch cards.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can damage a relic by compressing it in a too small pocket. You risk surface damage from the sticking of tight plastic against the glossy finish and the corners may show signs of the stress.

Having said that, if its a thicker relic that I didn't acquire separately, but just pulled out of a box and I have no special attachment to it, I will still squeeze it into a 9 pocket if possible. I will also use a 4 pocket page if it doesn't get too sloppy. I always prefer cards to be in binder pages.

I make exceptions for relics that I really like and don't want to put at risk and ones that are so thick or oversized that they won't fit at all. Then I put prized cards in the little single card cases if possible. If not I use the bigger 50 to 100 count cases and put in several cards. That's not perfect either because cards can shift around inside the boxes. Add paper to close up space. I never use screw down cases, but like the magnetic ones if they stay closed. Put all cases in a box to keep them together. I don't like to scatter too much around because things get lost. The bigger your collection, the neater it should be maintained or it will soon become unmanageable.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post