Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Alias Season 1 PW3 card really that rare?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alias Season 1 PW3 card really that rare?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
My thick cards are scattered around on my bookcases, and I do not have a database of them, something I wish I'd done while I was amassing them. I could still do it, but I'm too lazy. I don't really have all that many anyway. If I did I probably would keep them all in a box like Raven suggested. But then you can't see them. If you do scatter them around, try to keep them in glass enclosed bookcases so you don't have to dust them all the time, because that is also a real pain.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I also waited too long to compile a database, but I did it a few years ago when I got a bigger PC. I did only the autographs, sketch cards and relics. Since I did it line by line in Excel it took forever, but what saved me was that my books are kept alphabetically. I don't store by set, although I keep some sets. I am primarily a hit collector. So all my cards were already categorized and I just had to go page by page through my binders to input the pertinent data: hit type, product, celebrity/artist name, card number, card design and manufacturer for most entries. Once created you just have to add to your database as you acquire more. I only did it for my non-sport cards.

If you can get your cards physically together first, in the order you want to record them, the actual listing just takes the time, but doesn't drive you crazy going back and forth with cards in hand.

I wish I could display some of my cards more, but I always have a UV problem when I put stuff out. I have left out a couple of autograph cards, a signed baseball and an 8X10 commissioned sketch that all suffered light damage, even though they were under protected glass. The baseball is practically blank, the autographs show fading and the sketch was destroyed. It took awhile, but its all unrepairable now. So I decided to keep things mint they must stay in the dark until I want to see them again.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You must find a very attractive female vampire to turn you into a creature of the night so you can store all your cards in a darkened room where your vampire eyesight can see them perfectly.

Or think of a more practical solution.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
You must find a very attractive female vampire to turn you into a creature of the night so you can store all your cards in a darkened room where your vampire eyesight can see them perfectly.

Or think of a more practical solution.

Well I'm already a very attractive female vampire myself, so I don't have to go look for one. Big Grin Attractive vampire is unfortunately untrue, but I have always been blind as a bat, if that counts.

The practical solution for me is to just keep my cards stored away in binders and boxes in a nice temperature controlled, dry spot until I want to look at something. Like you, I have shelves of DVDs and books. I also have a smattering of more resin and polystone models than I should own standing around. My hobby interests are so well represented, a card display would only upset the whole balance of my décor. Wink

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my false assumption.

My recommendation still stands.

To find a more practical solution, of course!

I am just about over re-watching the entire 5 seasons of ANGEL (I watched all the BUFFY shows late last year), to explain the state of my mind. Unfortunately, the vampire makeup on those two shows was not attractive at all.

Here's a small display, that has nothing to do with the Alias card theme of this thread. The card behind the dinosaur's tail came with the She Hulk statue. I wonder how many were made?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardaddict,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking She-Hulk figure. I have a fondness for models, but only the good ones done in resin or polystone that are closer to being sculptures than plastic action figures. The stuff from Iron Studios and Piziitoys are fantastic. Sideshow can be good too, although I regard them more as dolls than figures. For me the model has too strongly resemble the character, or nowadays the actor playing the character, both in the face and body. A straight comic look doesn't appeal to me anymore, but I still have a couple of my older Bowen Designs that I kept after I sold most of them off. The problem with having too many models is that they are a waste when kept in boxes and you need to have the room to show them.

Sorry for jumping off topic, but I was wondering why you seem to have at least a couple of copies of many things. Are you keeping one closed and opening the other to read or watch? I'm guessing you have first editions that you want to leave untouched. I don't really do that with books, but I have doubled up on favorite films before, only because I worry about not being able to replace a damaged DVD. Other than that I've gotten over the whole "mint in box" thing for collectibles. I just want to enjoy them. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Most, but not all, of the multiple copies of books are different editions. THE MAKER OF UNIVERSES in the center for example are a signed limited in slipcase and a trade edition, which was first published in paperback. When I first started collecting books I only went after 1st edition US and UK hardcovers and then the subsequent paperback edition, but I have considerably branched out since then.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Got it. It's very easy to expand the circle once you start. Big Grin

On a somewhat closer note to the original topic, I was wondering about the Alias Season 1 Jennifer Garner A1 autograph card. I never saw it come up to often on eBay, so does anyone know how many were released?

The other thing is that, when searching the eBay sold listings just now, I spotted an unsigned blank one that sold for $45. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I can't recall anyone posting about blank cards for that one. Also wouldn't $45 seem too cheap? Not that I would want it without the signature, but some collectors do like to add them when they have everything else. Curious as what Alias card collectors think of both the signed and unsigned A1.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't collected the Alias sets but was a big fan of the show. I do have a few unsigned autograph cards from other sets, considering them unreleased sample versions of the released cards so they are like a promo. They used to be $3-5 cards but sellers try to get crazy prices these days for bigger celebrities. Someone wanted over $100 for a Halle Berry unsigned card from Catwoman and someone else wanted even more for a Roger Moore from The Saint. I think $20 is a lot for what is essentially just a variant photo card. The autograph doesn't just add some money/collector value. It accounts for virtually all the value.

However, if I collected the set and had everything else, finishing it over years, I am the kind of collector who might spring for a variant or promo that surfaced years later.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

On a somewhat closer note to the original topic, I was wondering about the Alias Season 1 Jennifer Garner A1 autograph card. I never saw it come up to often on eBay, so does anyone know how many were released?

The other thing is that, when searching the eBay sold listings just now, I spotted an unsigned blank one that sold for $45. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I can't recall anyone posting about blank cards for that one. Also wouldn't $45 seem too cheap? Not that I would want it without the signature, but some collectors do like to add them when they have everything else. Curious as what Alias card collectors think of both the signed and unsigned A1.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I know a seller on Ebay who has her for sale for £350 I think he is the only one at the moment. Sold listing search doesn't really seem to work that well? Anyway I would always have my doubt with buying a Jennifer autograph for any price. The thought that her card is for sale unsigned makes me wonder how many counterfeits are out there. Perhaps without the sellers even knowing it.

The only reason I would ever buy an unsigned /blank card is if Jennifer would attend to a convention in Europe and she could sign it for me in person. This card has no value to me without an autograph on it. I don't see the point of it either except that it's much easier to make a counterfeit for scammers.

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
The ONLY Alias autograph card I do not have is Garner Season Two. However I have TWO unsigned cards of her from that season. If I ever meet her (odds are way against it), I'd ask her to scribble on one of them.

Around the time the unsigned cards were appearing, I heard a rumor that someone got in the back door at Inkworks and 'accidentally' walked out with a 'few' unsigned autograph cards, including one of the ones in my avatar. This was reported to me by a reliable dealer, who, incidentally, sold me that card.

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
The ONLY Alias autograph card I do not have is Garner Season Two. However I have TWO unsigned cards of her from that season. If I ever meet her (odds are way against it), I'd ask her to scribble on one of them.

Around the time the unsigned cards were appearing, I heard a rumor that someone got in the back door at Inkworks and 'accidentally' walked out with a 'few' unsigned autograph cards, including one of the ones in my avatar. This was reported to me by a reliable dealer, who, incidentally, sold me that card.

Yes seems seems unlikely we will ever meet her. I never heard she did any fan meets or comic cons over the years.

The backdoor!! What! That's odd! Do you know who else is for sale blannk?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicole_oncer,

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I have a few unsigned autograph cards.

A1 Halle Berry as Catwoman from the Catwoman film
A7 Samuel L Jackson as The Octopus from the Spirit film

The following are all from Alias copyright year in brackets. There are 2 different cards numbered A41.
A8 Jennifer Garner as Sidney Bristow (2003)
A32 Quentin Tarantino as McKenas Cole (2004)
A41 Angela Basset as Hayden Chase (2006)
A41 Lena Olin as Irina Derevko (2006)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicole_oncer:
Anyay I would always have my doubt with buying a Jennifer autograph for any price. The thought that her card is for sale unsigned makes me wonder how many counterfeits are out there. Perhaps without the sellers even knowing it.

The only reason I would ever buy an unsigned /blank card is if Jennifer would attend to a convention in Europe and she could sign it for me in person. This card has no value to me without an autograph on it. I don't see the point of it either except that it's much easier to make a counterfeit for scammers.

Yes, now that I'm trying to remember back, I recall that there always was an issue with fakes of the Garner autographs, but I don't recall if anyone said that it was because of blank cards being released.

That is the worst case scenario for certified autograph cards and that Inkworks, or any card manufacturer, would allow it to happen undermines their own product and creditability. If a certified autograph card is printed and that signer can't be obtained or only signs a small portion of the number made, those unsigned cards should all be destroyed or at the very least punched out or stamped to void them. The card is genuine, the certification comes inherit with the card, and anybody can add the signature if the card is blank and not voided in some permanent way. No matter what it looks like, someone will buy it because the card is genuine and some signers are inconsistent at the best of times.

It is contrary to everything that everybody knows about autographs for card makers to let unsigned blank certified cards get out into the wild, but they have and still do. If even more blanks came out of the vault when Inkworks closed up, that would be a real shame. I'm not even saying burn them, just void them so they can't be used for forgeries, which will taint the whole pool of authentic autographs for that card forever.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
In the past autograph cards did not have the picture of the person on them, they were just plain and the person signed in the square space.

The unsigned versions of these then hit the market and you could either get the most expensive person in the set to sign it or get somebody who was never in the set but was in the film / show to sign it. Now you have an official autograph card with an official signature on it that never actually existed.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, which autograph card products are you referring to? I'm trying to think of old non-sport certified autograph cards that had no name or picture of the signer on them and I can't come up with anything that I have.

Those easily removed gold stars and circles wrecked havoc with Twin Peaks and AMC, but that's a different issue.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Cornerstone used to be like that. The Hammer Horror and the Dr Who sets.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Cornerstone used to be like that. The Hammer Horror and the Dr Who sets.

Got it, I figured it might be something more common to UK card collectors. I have more recent Hammer and Who autograph cards, but not early ones. Thanks.

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
I have a few unsigned autograph cards.

A1 Halle Berry as Catwoman from the Catwoman film
A7 Samuel L Jackson as The Octopus from the Spirit film

The following are all from Alias copyright year in brackets. There are 2 different cards numbered A41.
A8 Jennifer Garner as Sidney Bristow (2003)
A32 Quentin Tarantino as McKenas Cole (2004)
A41 Angela Basset as Hayden Chase (2006)
A41 Lena Olin as Irina Derevko (2006)

Thanks. That's good to know. Too bad Lena never signed. I actually thought about it why she was missing because she had such important part in the show.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have an Anna Paquin and a Halle Berry unsigned from the first X-Men movie, plus others I can't remember right now. Oh yeah, the Bryan Singer.