Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Are Printing Plates a true "1 of 1" card?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Printing Plates a true "1 of 1" card?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted
Are Printing Plates a true "1 of 1" card?
Usually, they're labeled "1/1" on the back of the card, but there's 4 different colors so are they really a "1 of 4" card?

I like them and I can see how some people would consider them "1 of 1" and others see them as "1 of 4" cards. To me, they are more than a novelty item. There's definitely value in them, but most don't seem to be valued at "Holy Grail" levels. They seem to be a hybrid on they're value depending the card. Some can sell for $5-$15 and others can sell for triple digits. I guess it mainly depends on the character on the card. Maybe for the poll, think of it as your favorite character in the newest release? A "rookie card" type of situation may push towards "Holy Grail" status in some cases.

Really interested in what others think about them? Sorry I tired, but I really don't know how to set up a good poll Wink

Question:
When Printing Plates are labeled "1/1" do you feel that they true "1 of 1" cards, "1 of 4" card, a combination, or a just novelty item for your collection?

Choices:
Yes - printing plates are true 1/1
No - since there are 4 different Printing Plates
Both - since each of the 4 Printing Plate iare unique
Novelty
Holy Grail

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Each printing plate is a 1/1 even though there are four diffrent colors each one is unique.

As for me i think they are just a novelty and i would not be bothered about getting one.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Even though I have no interest in collecting printing plates myself, my vote is for a true 1/1, as each color plate is unique to the 4 colors needed for the 1 whole card. However the general popularity of the printing plate as a premium hit is reflected in the fact that the majority are sold for only a bit more than a common autograph card.

I think if you could manage to find all 4 plates of the same card, that would be a nice "set". But it would still have to be a card with a main image, as opposed to just a common base card showing no important character or scene. Without a popular picture there wouldn't be much demand, even if you did have all 4 colors.

By itself 1 printing plate is not very attractive, since it is unfinished and is made of thin metal. I would still rather pull a printing plate than a manufactured relic because it does carry the 1/1 label.

Chasing after all 4 colors might be a Holy Grail for someone, but I don't know how you would go about choosing the card. Best chance of seeing all 4 for sale would probably be on a card with a poor image and no demand. I know there was at least one card manufacturer who did sell all 4 colors as a unit, but I forget the product and when that was. I seem to think it was TOPPS.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
There is only one printing plate, from Captain America the First Avenger, I wanted all four versions of. I thought I'd never find any, but I did get the BLACK one. I was happy enough with that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardaddict,

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Each is a 1/1 but only a novelty for me. A nice bonus pull but not in place of auto or relic cards

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Definitely a novelty to me. A fun extra, but nothing more. Usually this is due to the fact that the image is (for understandable reasons) rarely well visible on each printing plate.
As Hammer said: no match for an auto or relic.
I do have one exception, though, as I pulled a printing plate signed by Christopher Lee from Unstoppable's Wicker Man release. That one does trump the regular Lee auto IMO.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I, personally, like printing plates. I do feel that they are each a 1 of 1 and not a 1 of 4. Each color has a different look on the plate. I have several plates from Inkworks, Topps star Wars, Marvel and Gotham. In my personal collection it goes autograph, printing plate, costume card, sketch card as far as hits go.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just to add something about the novelty aspect. I understand why some collectors are calling printing plates novelties and why it's put in the survey as a choice. Because it's just a gimmick. Another way to create a 1/1 hit without much cost. However, to me, that doesn't mean they should be called novelty items or novelty cards.

Printing plates in products are licensed, are price guide listed and have market value. There is an established market for printing plate collectors that goes by the same supply and demand principles of all other licensed cards. Novelty cards don't have any of that. To me a novelty card is typically unlicensed, can not be included in a price guide because it is unlicensed, and will never be worth more than it was sold for. Novelty items or novelty cards are things you buy because you like how they look and they are cheap. If they are not cheap, you shouldn't be buying them because they have no real value. Unlicensed cards also devalue any collection.

Now manufactured relic cards, which I really hate, would be more appropriate to be called a novelty because they are not 1/1s and are a poor excuse for a premium hit. Yet by the same definition, they aren't novelties either because they are licensed and listed in guides.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post