Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Not a big fan of sticker autographs but...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a big fan of sticker autographs but...
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Just to bend my earlier statement that "I would not buy a sticker auto where an alternate on-card option was available..."
Even though Ian Holm has on-card signatures in a few of the LOTR/Hobbit releases I am so happy he signed for Alien Anthology. Looking forward to getting that card delivered soon. A great performance from a great actor, and the card almost looks like it isn't a sticker!

I think our sick obsession with the Alien franchise allows for a host of rule bending. Wink

Given that I have had my LOTR Ian autos for years I figure it's ok if I get both. Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
Just curious how the anti-sticker collectors feel about modern cut signatures. I am referring to the cut signature, which is actually a sheet of paper they had someone sign to insert into the card.

I like them myself just fine, but to me it is simply a slightly better version of the sticker auto.

No judgment here. I am just curious because I don't mind the stickers and others seem to loathe them.

I think that cut signatures are worse since the signatures were never intended to be for an autograph card. Many are taken from old correspondence, cancelled checks, etc. At least the stickers were signed with the intention of using them on autograph cards whereas cuts aren't.

Thanks for the reply.

I kind of like the cut sigs that are manufactured. The living signers for the Donruss Americana set were signed with the intention of mounting them in a card. I generally dislike the ones that are cut from documents (checks) or signed photos. I'd much rather have had the whole item, but I was okay with it for both my Jimmy Stewart and Vincent Price cuts because I did not see many opportunities to have those otherwise.

Also, I'd like to say this is an interesting discussion. I know where I stand, but I enjoy reading others thoughts on this. It plays a huge role in the future of the hobby. I hope manufacturers hear what is being said and find new ways to release product that is fun and collectible.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
That's very strange. Why wouldn't Donruss just have them sign an actual trading card instead of doing cuts? Surely production costs must be higher to make embedded cards than simply producing the cards themselves.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's very strange. Why wouldn't Donruss just have them sign an actual trading card instead of doing cuts? Surely production costs must be higher to make embedded cards than simply producing the cards themselves.

I picked up a few of those manufactured cuts, mainly on Karen Allen. They had her print the title from a movie she did, like Star Man or Raiders of the Lost Ark, and sign her name. Other signers did the same thing. I assume she did the printing, they also did the cuts in different color inks. I don't know how many of any given type/title were produced. The cards themselves were the same, but what was printed on the cuts changed.

Why did they do it? Just to make something different than the usual certified autograph card I would imagine. Calling it a cut signature is like saying it's a promo card. Collectors have the expectation of getting something that is more limited, even when it is not. Same thing with all those manufactured patch and medal cards that are pretending to be premium hits. Getting a relic card sounds good until you realize that it is a fake relic. Roll Eyes

If nothing else, those Donruss manufactured cuts do have genuine signatures and they have a certain appeal as being somewhat unique.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I picked up a few of those manufactured cuts, mainly on Karen Allen. They had her print the title from a movie she did, like Star Man or Raiders of the Lost Ark, and sign her name. Other signers did the same thing. I assume she did the printing, they also did the cuts in different color inks. I don't know how many of any given type/title were produced. The cards themselves were the same, but what was printed on the cuts changed.

Why did they do it? Just to make something different than the usual certified autograph card I would imagine. Calling it a cut signature is like saying it's a promo card. Collectors have the expectation of getting something that is more limited, even when it is not. Same thing with all those manufactured patch and medal cards that are pretending to be premium hits. Getting a relic card sounds good until you realize that it is a fake relic. Roll Eyes

If nothing else, those Donruss manufactured cuts do have genuine signatures and they have a certain appeal as being somewhat unique.

The first couple of Americana sets were pretty nice. I liked them because I was able to pull a lot of cool stuff including Tippi Hedren autographs and cut signatures.

Why were the cuts like that? I don't know, but I liked it better than the sticker autos. It showed some effort to make a nice looking card.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect the "Married with Children" cast autographs from the 2008 Donruss Americana TV Stars set. The card theme is "Directors Cut" which would be my guess as to why they used cuts in first place. The use of show quotes and character names is fantastic!

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post