Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who still tries to complete sets and insert sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still tries to complete sets and insert sets
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted
Who all still works on sets and insert sets. My old collecting ways of being a completest are long gone. I also used to sample a little of everything, also something I no longer do.

Just today, I finished the physical copies of epack (Orange) Doctor Strange base set. Anyone else working on sets and if you are what are you collecting?

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I'm working on an UD Alien set. Got a good deal on some boxes, so I'm starting the old fashioned way.

Will likely finish on ePack or COMC.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
For many years i have been trying to put together a set of the James Bond Art & Images chase cards, i think there are 22 altogether.

I have 9 and one swap so a long way to go. Price is a big problem in trying to put this set together.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
There are 20.

The only card I'm missing from that set is the Famke Jannsen autograph.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

There are 20.

I think there are two more numbered 21 and 22 that came as expansion cards.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right. They are in my Heroes & Villains binder. I forgot about those.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
I don't collect a lot of sets but I have had to give up on sets because cards are to limited, expensive or both.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lately the only sets I chase are for achievements on ePack. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
When the inserts are too rare or expensive, that usually makes the base sets cheap because people are basically throwing them away looking for "hits". So I tend to just go after the base sets unless it's really a series I super like.

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barobehere,

When you look at the Card Trading threads, you see there are still people completing recent and older sets. Some are working on a large number of sets with huge "have" and "want" lists. Over the years, we all end up with extras even of uncommon cards. Trading is a great way to add to your collection without having to buy anything (except for maybe some extra supplies like top loaders and team bags).

I recently traded with Bond. We swapped promos and I had extra chase cards he wanted so it was great for both of us. As a result of the trade, I learned that I was actually missing two of the chromium chase cards from Empire Strikes Back Widevision (not sure how that happened). Since then, while finally sorting my museum postcards (those that show prehistoric life), I found a packet with one of the chromiums I was missing along with some Kong cards and a few 1972 Topps football cards. I had forgotten about those. Like you, I really haven't bought random packs just to see what the cards look like in years. Those Kong cards might represent the last time. Not too many places left that sell new (or even recent) packs around here anymore.

I'm still one sticker short in the Star Wars General Mills cereal set from 1977.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I literally have hundreds of base sets I would 'trade' for the price of postage, if anyone is interested. All are in plastic boxes.

I also quit because of the reasons cited by sittin9duck.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am looking to complete lots of Star Wars sets, mainly parallel sets. I don't pay the silly prices on the bay but keep looking for job lots @ around $.50 per card, and a bit of trading then purchase the last couple of cards for a few $ each. Need loads but if the fun of the chase

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some of the cards I need for set completion go back to the 1940's, fortunately most of these when they turn up are not overseas which keeps my postage costs to a reasonable level.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on how much I love the title. These days you have eliminate the 1 of 1 stuff as part of the master set.

I am 2 cards away from the Topps 75th Diamond 100 card sub set numbered to 75.

Last thing I put together as a complete set was the ALIEN Anthology release. Also just a few cards away from the first Sons of Anarchy set.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
When you look at the Card Trading threads, you see there are still people completing recent and older sets. Some are working on a large number of sets with huge "have" and "want" lists. Over the years, we all end up with extras even of uncommon cards. Trading is a great way to add to your collection without having to buy anything (except for maybe some extra supplies like top loaders and team bags).

Sadly I am no longer one of those traders . . . At one point I had tons of extra base and tons of partial sets. . . I enjoyed trading. . .

For me it got to the point that I was spending more in postage to complete partial sets than I could have just bought the sets for.

The rising postage costs really impacted this hobby for me.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
The rising postage costs really impacted this hobby for me.

And the falling costs of sets. The whole concept of the "hunt" pretty much died with the internet.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post