Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fake auto cards
 Login/Join

posted
With the increased influx of fake auto cards,it makes me realise that all or most archive boxs are really good value?they have every card in a secure sealed box.and they sure offer peace of mind? in regards fake auto cards?sealed cases are also a big plus?

Posts: 25 | Location: liverpool.uk. | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
The numbers of confirmed counterfeit nonsports cards is only a tiny fraction of the number available. I honestly think people are starting to jump at shadows now.

Archive boxes are only a good buy if you are into RH because they are the only ones who produce these boxes. I think the reality is that 90% of Non Sport collectors probably have no idea about fake cards, and continue to buy cards as finances allow.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
Hi

I totally agree the archive boxs they good vaule when you think about it when all the fake card out there, im one of those unlucky collecter end up buying fake auto card Frown

Jason there are achive box from other company goes them are artbox from harry potter called hot box that they started to do them but they didnt do it for DHP1 set for some reason, and breygent does them aswell they call it loaded master set box

i think other trading cards company should do this

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Archive boxes are terrific if you are lucky enough to find one by accident, but buying one from any desirable product is not an option for the average collector. I would certainly not regard it as a security measure.

Fake autograph cards exist and no one wants to go through the aggravation of finding out they got stuck with one and spent their good money on worthless garbage. However Sci-FiPlanet is not wrong in saying that instances of counterfeit cards are very rare compared to all the genuine cards bought and sold all the time. They are also pretty much confined to the higher priced cards that we all know and love. No one fakes a common. Wink

The safest way to avoid forged autographs and counterfeit cards is to know what's going on in the hobby and only buy from reputable dealers that can be verified. If there is any doubt pass on the item, you will be better off in the long run. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

They are also pretty much confined to the higher priced cards that we all know and love. No one fakes a common. Wink

This is changing. The cards that Ra$ bought included a set of Superman Returns autographs -- including the common autographs. And Miss Lizzy just sent me an obviously fake Brian Krause autograph from Charmed.

As you pointed out -- the best bet is to buy from a trusted source.

Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The numbers of confirmed counterfeit nonsports cards is only a tiny fraction of the number available. I honestly think people are starting to jump at shadows now.

That's a great point, yes, there are fakes, but the vast majority are authentic, there should not be widespread panic. As has been suggested, just use common sense, and if you are unsure, hold off until you are satisfied as to authenticity.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

They are also pretty much confined to the higher priced cards that we all know and love. No one fakes a common. Wink

This is changing. The cards that Ra$ bought included a set of Superman Returns autographs -- including the common autographs. And Miss Lizzy just sent me an obviously fake Brian Krause autograph from Charmed.

As you pointed out -- the best bet is to buy from a trusted source.

Jon

I think there usually are other factors involved when "common cards" and "common autographs" come up bad.

Consider that perhaps at one time they were not commons, but have devalued in recent years.

Or in the case of the Superman Returns cards you mentioned, all 6 cards were sold as a set, but only 2 are very valuable. The commons are support for the idea that the set is complete and it re-enforces the trust in the authenticity of the whole group.

Or there may be the possibility that it is the work of amateurs rather than professionals. How many kids signed their baseball cards with the players names with no attempt to duplicate the real signatures. You know some of those cards actually made it out into the market. Big Grin

There are no guarantees on anything in this life except death and taxes, but by in large I believe that low to medium priced items still present very little risk. And that's doubly true when its a certified product coming from a reputable source. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fan_fic_fan
posted Hide Post
Hey, everyone. I have several higher-end non-sport autograph cards in my collection but several are from autograph sets that weren't put on stickers. From the 2000 X-Men autographs to the 2005 Batman Begins autographs (all of which are on-card), I worry about whether these are the real deal or not (the autographs themselves look a bit too glossy but I have no idea). Here are some pics. Anyone have a guess on if these are real or not? Thanks!

2000 Topps X-Men autograph: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

2008 Rittenhouse The Incredible Hulk autograph: Edward Norton as Bruce Banner

2005 Topps Batman Begins autograph: Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow

2000 Topps X-Men autograph: Ian McKellen as Magneto

Posts: 13 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Off the bat, looking at the Hugh Jackman, I noticed dots of ink at the end of the stroke, possibly a sign that someone carefully copied the signature.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Off the bat, looking at the Hugh Jackman, I noticed dots of ink at the end of the stroke, possibly a sign that someone carefully copied the signature.

but those seem to me 'normal' dots vs what an autopen can do .All auto have thickness variations and shades within
all those seem legit from my point of view

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I also have that Hugh Jackman auto, bought from a VERY reliable source, and it also has the heavier ink dots as in the card shown.

I also have the Ian McKellen auto and I'd say comparing the two they are both legitimate.

My Cillian Murphy has the same white speckles in the letters, so I'd say that one is also legit.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I own none of those really nice autograph cards, but they compare well with scans of others I've seen, for what that is worth. Normal signings can produce dots in the autograph as well, so although dots are often mentioned as a possible indicator of a fake, it is by no means a given.

Always more important is the source of the autograph. You don't say if they were all bought from the same person or even why you are worried about them, besides their higher values of course. If you purchased from reputable sources I would say you are more likely to have no problems here.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The dots were the only thing I could see in the scans that were suspect. Fan Fic Fan may want to compare his autos to pack pulled autos from this set, and compare the finish of the card.

Also, look at details in the background, I know Web Jon had found a Batman auto with those black bats on the bottom of the card which were poorly reproduced.

Don't mean to alarm you Fan Fic Fan, most likely these cards are good, but you did ask...

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
none of these are autopens

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologies for digging this thread up but didn't think it necessary to start a new topic for my question.

I know there have been fake Spuerman Returns autograph cards around with black ink sigs instead of blue. Are any legit cards signed in black? The only one Kevin Spacey SR auto on 'that site' right now has a black sig - is it a fake? No way I could afford that kinda money anyway, just curious as to whether black ink automatically = bad Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know if that question about black ink Superman Returns autographs was ever really resolved. It came up on Webjon about 2 years ago and then it seems to have died, possibly because the Routh and Spacey sigs are so rare that few people have ever seen them in person. I know I haven't seen one, just pictures.

I suspect that an ink color alone is not definitive to detect a forgery. I say that because it would be pretty stupid to go to the trouble of creating a fake and then use the wrong ink color. That would be the easiest thing to get right. They are all signed in blue ink, so let's fake them in black ink doesn't make much sense to me. Big Grin

Both these cards were big targets because of their initial prices, the Routh has dropped off a bit now that he has gone nowhere. Never the less, I would be really careful about buying either one of them in any color ink and getting them graded specifically for the authentication of the autograph wouldn't be a bad idea.

posted Hide Post
^ Thanks Raven, appreciate your input Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post