Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question concerning autographed sticker back puzzle set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question concerning autographed sticker back puzzle set
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
Picture of Charles Pratt
posted
Hello everyone,

Brand new to this board. Had a question I was hoping someone could help me out with.

I'm going to a small comic book con where I intend on having Gil Girard autograph a few puzzles made by the backs of the sticker set.

My question is: What's the best way to show that off? I know you can buy frames for individual trading cards but can you buy frames for the puzzles made from the card or sticker backs? This particular puzzle all the cards lay horizontal, I believe.

On a similar note, does getting a trading card improve the sets value?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: July 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
For me that is too odd of a thing to have him sign. I have seen frames that sort of press two pieces of glass together which would basically allow for viewing both sides. Obviously how many cards you plan to use will dictate the size.

Personally I would get him to just sign one or two of his regular cards that was released by Topps. I have a nice one signed by Erin Gray.

I'm sure that getting a card signed by Gil could add some value to the card but probably nothing compared to what you will pay for him to sign it.

Fact is Buck Rogers was a late 70's scifi card set and there is no shortage of them. Gil really didn't have much of a career after Buck so that doesn't help much either.

At this point it would be something I would do just because the show was part of my childhood and I would like it in my collection. Something just for fun.

If at some point down the road Buck Rogers were to become a hot title again....then you might have something.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
One of the pleasures of going to an in-person signing, besides seeing the person and hopefully having a nice exchange of small talk, is that you can get anything you want signed. Well almost anything. Big Grin I've seen people arrive with all sorts of weird stuff and usually the signer appreciates that you are a fan when something out of the ordinary appears. Also it makes it really personal for the collector because who else would own this thing signed. Wink

As to what you asked, you will need to mount the puzzle cards in a frame. You will probably only be able to show the signed side. You can get these things at a craft store and you have to get a size that looks best for the horizontal layout. You could also just put the cards in a plastic page and frame that, but it won't look great.

Now to agree with mykdude, there are certain things that are more accepted when you go to the expense of a personal signing. Girard has fans, but not really in demand, so I don't think you have to worry about maximizing re-sale value, but for I few tips. Rather than cards, 8x10 photos are the instrument of choice. They are very easy to display, just get a frame. If you want it personal, have him inscribe at least your name. If he adds a phrase, that's even better. If you want to keep re-sale an option, never personalize with a name. What I usually do is get both a photo or two and a card signed. I always personalize and take a camera or your phone, as they may allow pictures for free. Otherwise they will charge you for those too.

Do autographs improve card value? If it's a certified card it does. Just getting an in-person autograph on a card should, but the reality is that it may have little too no effect. Most in-person, non-certified autograph cards of lesser celebrities wind up in bargain boxes, if not the trash, when the original collector has to let them go.

Hope you enjoy your signing. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Charles Pratt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I was a kid in the 70's and loved Buck Rogers. I've gotten so many posters signed over the years at various conventions and what not that most of them are just laying around in poster tubes, unseen. A person only has so much wall space. Haha.

So, I wanted to take something for him to sign that was a little different. I started collecting trading cards in 75 or 76 so I thought well that might be something a little different. I don't really care for the Topps set much but the completed puzzle of the poster on the back of the sticker set is pretty nifty. I thought well, maybe I could get that signed. That would look nice if I could figure out how to display it without just ruining the cards. I'm not much for selling. I sure like to buy though. Haha. I asked about the autograph because I just didn't want to ruin the card.
Anyways, maybe a binder of autographed pics is just the way to go. You can put a lot of pics in a binder and not take up a bunch of space. Perhaps I could just have him sign the front of the title card, put it back in the protector sleeve and call it a day. Haha
Thanks to all for your input.

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: July 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer to have actors sign DVD covers. To me it's the DVD that represents their actual work.

Can be tricky though, so many DVD covers are so busy, there's no obvious place to sign it!

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pratt:
Thanks guys.

I was a kid in the 70's and loved Buck Rogers. I've gotten so many posters signed over the years at various conventions and what not that most of them are just laying around in poster tubes, unseen. A person only has so much wall space. Haha.

I feel your pain, I have ended up with a bunch of incidental posters from Conventions and VIP's that I will most likely get together and sell eventually. I have always preferred smaller items. Typically a trading card or a CD if its a band. I photograph them for any type of digital display and if I want to show em off I can swap stuff out without taking up too much space.

My 3D printer has a default project which spits out a mini stand which is perfect for sleeved cards or CD's in a jewel case.

Another possibility is a movie lobby card. Buck Rogers was shown in theaters so they still have those at a decent price.

If you have never met him don't be too shocked at how old and frail he is. I saw him a few months ago and he wouldn't have any physical contact with people and asked them to keep to the other side of the table. Not sure if that was a situational thing or just what he does these days.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brothers and I were kids in the 70's and saw the Buck Rogers movie in the theaters and we liked the TV show too. I might have some cards but can't recall if I still have any Buck Rogers stuff from then. Coincidentally, I noticed the show was on the MEtv network last week and recorded an episode. Another episode happened to be on when my youngest brother was visiting so we watched it. Frank Gorshin was on it - great to see him again. I met him and Erin Gray at SDCC twenty years ago - nice people.

Yeah, to me for something like that, I wouldn't worry about resale value. Someone told me he was in bad shape years ago and there was even a rumor that he had passed away. We've lost so many celebrities from my childhood already. It's great to hear that he's going to shows.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pratt:
Thanks guys.

So, I wanted to take something for him to sign that was a little different. I started collecting trading cards in 75 or 76 so I thought well that might be something a little different. I don't really care for the Topps set much but the completed puzzle of the poster on the back of the sticker set is pretty nifty. I thought well, maybe I could get that signed. That would look nice if I could figure out how to display it without just ruining the cards. I'm not much for selling. I sure like to buy though. Haha. I asked about the autograph because I just didn't want to ruin the card.
Anyways, maybe a binder of autographed pics is just the way to go. You can put a lot of pics in a binder and not take up a bunch of space. Perhaps I could just have him sign the front of the title card, put it back in the protector sleeve and call it a day. Haha
Thanks to all for your input.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post