Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Reduction in posting breaks - why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduction in posting breaks - why?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted
Is it just that I tend to collect less popular series, or is it generally true that people aren't posting breaks any more?

It used to be that a new set would be released and there'd be pages of breaks within a couple of days and then another flurry when the non-US collectors received theirs. Now, not so much.

From my perspective, I used to break a few boxes so there was the excitement of hitting or missing, congratulating hitters etc. Now, I tend to buy in larger quantities that lead to an essentially guaranteed master set so the excitement factor is lower (though my collection is a lot better Smile ).

I also think the hit quality of boxes has evened out a bit. For sketch cards (particularly from Rittenhouse), there are more good and less good, but not the extremes that used to occur. Similarly, all actors seem to be signing about the same number of autos and, at least for the sets I collect, almost all major cast members are signing.

Overall, there seems to be less 'sharing' in the experience of being a card collector. What do others think?

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed a similar thing with people posting (rather not posting) show reviews. . . I agree people are just sharing less these days, which is a bit sad.

I'm sure people are still breaking boxes, and I see tons of people going to shows, but no one talks about it like they used to.

Jon

Posts: 5414 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In my case, it simply is a fact of not having enough time to write down my hits and then type them out when I get in front of the computer. I haven't been buying boxes as much, and when I do it's usually away from my computer, so taking the time to go to my computer and typing the breaks out is just another thing on my to do list. I usually post my good breaks, but again it is a matter of having the extra time to sit down and write the post out.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I know my customers are buying fewer boxes than in the past. So I think there is a bit less product being broken.

As far as posting, I think part of it might be the advent of Facebook, blogs and similar type of 'sharing.'

For shows, even NSU will now post a link to their blog instead of posting details here. So shows especially get fewer posts.

I'll try to be more pro-active with breaks. But after the break, sending out scans of the cards to customers or contacting those that pre-ordered, and posting on Facebook it seems like a lot of duplication to post it again.

It might also have to do with less excitement about the 'big' pulls with Premium Packs. With the box guarantee, there's less excitement about making the big pull.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
I just posted some breaks Big Grin
And I will posting at least one case of Marvel Universe tomorrow. (if my cases are on time, that is)

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This is probably just me being selfish, but since there are almost never any responses to my break postings, I assume no one is looking at them and so don't bother any more. I'm probably wrong about this...say, that's a funny feeling, never been wrong before! I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
We were having this discussion (kind of) on another site, in that a collector asked should he buy a case of cards or buy all that's needed to make a master set(sketch card release - MU). 2 said buy a case and 6 said buy the exact cards you want. A few replies were very direct that you'd spend less and get what you want with less disappointment (sketch cards) if you bought the cards you wanted.

So, I'm wondering if there's less opening per collector than just a few years ago.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I know my customers are buying fewer boxes than in the past. So I think there is a bit less product being broken.

As far as posting, I think part of it might be the advent of Facebook, blogs and similar type of 'sharing.'

For shows, even NSU will now post a link to their blog instead of posting details here. So shows especially get fewer posts.

I'll try to be more pro-active with breaks. But after the break, sending out scans of the cards to customers or contacting those that pre-ordered, and posting on Facebook it seems like a lot of duplication to post it again.

It might also have to do with less excitement about the 'big' pulls with Premium Packs. With the box guarantee, there's less excitement about making the big pull.

Ed

For me, I haven't bought that many boxes this year because there has been very little released that I'm actually interested in(come on, Cryptozoic!). I do have some stuff on order that's been delayed numerous times...I'd love to finally have it released.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
For me there have not been enought selections that I want to put my money into at the moment. But 2012 looks like a big year for me. A premium set of Brady Bunch and a box to boxes of Big Bang, The Guild, andSmallville. I have been slowly chipping away at my son's Harry Potter cards and my Twilight Zone collection this year.
Also, a new baby in 2010 has reduced my hobby budget, so there is less money to spend on series that I would think would be neat to buy a box vs. what I have to have.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still post box breaks, I just am not buying much these days. I think I've only opened a couple of boxes this year, most of what I'm buying/trading for are the base sets. I am tempted by Spook Stories and The Guild but not enough to order/pre-order any yet. The one thing that did come out that I would have bought was Warehouse 13 Season 2 but... I refuse to buy premium packs when all I really want is the base set.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I find I am buying less boxes/cases now Frown .All sorts of reasons for this but the main one is cost.It's just so expensive to buy from the USA with all the add ons of postage/tax/VAT/Royal Mail fees.The only time I really buy now is when either myself or my brother is going to Las Vegas and I can get cards shipped to the hotel.

As an example the case of Tudors I just posted the break for cost me £233 because I got it delivered in the USA and brought it home.If I had it sent to my home in the UK the extra cost would have been about £100.

It's the same when I go to show or try dealers in this country.They have to pay those taxes and fees so in order to make a living the price of that case from a UK dealer would be at least £380.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I think some of it has to do with the increase of sets that dont have boxes.
Family Guy
Tudors
Eureka
Wearhouse 13 2
Star Trek Heroes
The Brady Bunch
Stargate Universe 2
Spartacus

None of these really have boxes to break, I have found it a less fun opening sets now. i was fine never having a master set or even close on the inserts. But its just no fun opening what little I can buy knowing that I will never even have a base set anymore. It depresses me so I just don't post

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
I think some of it has to do with the increase of sets that dont have boxes.

Tudors
The Tudors did come in a box with a base set, but point taken Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Honestly I hate the way the box break forum is set up here so I rarely post breaks here.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought much boxwise this year. The subjects haven't been to my taste. The last new box I bought I think was Dangerous Divas. With the lack of suitable material, its given me to catch up a bit on old series especially Avengers series 3.

So what now - Well we have a new series on Avengers from Unstoppable, unfortunately the lack of news seems unstoppable. At least I can talk to the man himself at Memorabelia.

Red Sonja - sounds good - looking forward to the make up on that one.

Star Wars Galaxy 7 - Always looking forward to the Galaxy Series.

Then hopefully at the end of 2012 we have "The Hobbit" And if anyone says, "I pulled another dwarf......."

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I still post breaks if I think it will help people determine if they might like what's in the product, but my recent card purchases have been premium packs or non-traditional boxes. The several members that have commented about the differences in opening this type of product as opposed to the traditional boxes are spot on in my opinion.

With a box you took your time opening the 24 packs, you had the base set, inserts, and the premium hits. With the premium pack, it takes all of 5 seconds to evaluate your break. You have a couple of base cards, for a set that you can only complete on the Bay, if you even want to finish it. You have one or two autographs, costumes, props or a combination of the hits. The checklist already posted tells everyone what is in the relatively small number of inserts. It just doesn't seem that important to post a break that has 5 or 6 cards.

And because these premium products are so limited, I am finding them available only once in packs, sometimes only by pre-sale, and then I must resort to individual card buying if I want more. So for me at least, the change in my buying habits seems to be that I am simply not breaking as much as I did before and I'm picking up more single cards instead.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
Just getting back into the hobby but always liked posting & reading break lists (posted a couple today as it happens).

As others have said, the drop is probably down to the amount of information released now about print runs & such plus the change in the hobby towards more & more premium packs/boxes rather than the randomness of older sets.

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
For me it's just the fact I haven't opened any boxes recently. I honestly can't recall the last non-sport box I bought. I do see myself buying boxes, and maybe even cases, in the not too distant future with Big Bang Theory, True Blood and The Amazing Spider-Man coming out, and I'll be posting those breaks. Big Grin

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post