Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Major League Custom Booklet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major League Custom Booklet
 Login/Join

posted
With all the hype and anticipation of Major Leage autos hitting the collecting world, I wanted to design and build a fan tribute style autograph booklet of the film. Mr. Berenger's autograph couldn't be found certified from a major card company before the release. I had no choice but to snag a personalized auto of him on feebay and sent it in to PSA.

I tried my best to keep the feel of the team while showcasing four of it's major characters. One of the biggest challenges was to find decent photo's of all four player's in the same uniform style. In addition Milwaukee County Stadium,the main field used for the film, was used in the background. I have also embedded the PSA/DNA sticker into the booklet to further authenticate it. I have to say this was truly one of my most favorite booklets to design and build. Thanks for the look.

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Very nice, as usual!

I loved "Major League", but Berenger and Sheen also comprise half a "Platoon" booklet, so that's how I'd have rolled it, especially since there is already a Willem Dafoe card (from Rittenhouse Spider-Man). The fourth sig in such a book would have to be the director Oliver Stone, but then again, Johnny Depp did have a bit role in that movie, so that would add some real star power to it to use him.

If I ever made one of these, I think I'd do a "Natural Born Killers" card. I already have a nice Woody Harrelson I could use from an 8x10 I have (like your Berenger). I'd need Juliette Lewis and Oliver Stone (again). Fourth slot would be for Tom Sizemore or maybe even Tarentino.

Have you ever made a three panel card? For "Major League", another panel with Bob Uecker and Wesley Snipes would make it even sweeter. Anyway, nice stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Very nice, as usual!

I loved "Major League", but Berenger and Sheen also comprise half a "Platoon" booklet, so that's how I'd have rolled it, especially since there is already a Willem Dafoe card (from Rittenhouse Spider-Man). The fourth sig in such a book would have to be the director Oliver Stone, but then again, Johnny Depp did have a bit role in that movie, so that would add some real star power to it to use him.

If I ever made one of these, I think I'd do a "Natural Born Killers" card. I already have a nice Woody Harrelson I could use from an 8x10 I have (like your Berenger). I'd need Juliette Lewis and Oliver Stone (again). Fourth slot would be for Tom Sizemore or maybe even Tarentino.

Have you ever made a three panel card? For "Major League", another panel with Bob Uecker and Wesley Snipes would make it even sweeter. Anyway, nice stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.Platoon was great flick just not something I thought of making.Your right as the Booklet needs to be tailored to available autographs.Usually 8x10 autos are way too large to use more than one on a card,I got lucky with the Berenger.

"NBK" would make a cool booklet.I would have to go with Harrelson,lewis,Sizemore and Tommy Lee Jones myself.Again gonna be hard finding them at the right size.

I have played around with a 3 panel vertical booklet design,nothing more than a prototype though at the moment.

-Steve

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I forgot Tommy Lee in NBK. He would be great. Rodney Dangerfield, too, but I recently read that he really had no idea what the role was all about, so that kind of taints it a bit. I know Tarentino personally hated the way Stone made the "sit-com" out of Mallory's upbringing, but I thought it was genius. Stone is easily one of my favorite directors.

Tommy Lee Jones actually does have an autograph card, from "Men In Black 2", but it costs a pretty penny, I'm sure.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since the Major League autographs are in a sports card product it might be helpful to point out the info for those non-sport card collectors that may not have heard about it.

The 2014 Topps Archive Baseball set includes a 4 card insert on the fictional Major League players portrayed by Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen and Celcie Ross. In addition, there is a limited number of these cards signed by those 4 actors and one other, Margaret Whittom, who was the hated team owner.

They appear to be out now by the look of it, although some of the Sheen autographs have stupid prices. Both Sheen and Bernsen have signed before.

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Since the Major League autographs are in a sports card product it might be helpful to point out the info for those non-sport card collectors that may not have heard about it.

The 2014 Topps Archive Baseball set includes a 4 card insert on the fictional Major League players portrayed by Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen and Celcie Ross. In addition, there is a limited number of these cards signed by those 4 actors and one other, Margaret Whittom, who was the hated team owner.

They appear to be out now by the look of it, although some of the Sheen autographs have stupid prices. Both Sheen and Bernsen have signed before.

I believe the "News and Rumors" section would be the best place to alert fellow collectors on the addition of non-sport trading cards that appear in traditional sport products.

Charlie Sheen autographs are limited to 99 signed copies which is a good indicator as to why the prices are so high.All of the other signers as less limited.
In addition each of the 5 actors also have a variant "worst to first" autographed card serial #ed to /10.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Love or hate Charlie Sheen, he's made his mark on pop culture, that's for sure. All those early hit movies, a mix of commercially and critically successful movies (some both!) and then the long run on the TV show capped off by the public blowout that turned out to be hilarious once we knew that he was going to come out of it alive. A good test of lasting fame for an actor is when the average person could name at least 10 of someone's movies. I think I could come up 20 or so for Charlie just off the top of my head. Staying power like that can only be earned.

Raven, they were supposed to put cards based on "The Warriors" by Walter Hill, the 1970's New York streetgangs movie in that same 2014 Archives Baseball set, but they were cancelled by a printer error, the odd reason given. I'm not surprised. I'm a fan of The Warriors movie, but it does kinda glorify gangs, even if it is in a comic book way.
The Major League cards are sharp, using the card design from the year the movie was released, if I'm not mistaken, a nice touch.
Topps was selling an oversized set of the 4 (unsigned) Major League cards on the old style card stock packaged in retro wax wrapper with a bonus fifth card of mighty JOBU himself.

Back around to the subject at hand, a "Warriors" booklet would be pretty sweet. I know Michael Beck, the leader, has an autographed card in Donruss Americana, and Ajax was Dexter's Dad, so he has a signed card from Breygent, at least. The "Warriors Come Out to Play-ee-ay" guy (a must!) has a signed card in Twin Peaks, but those can be hard to find. I think his name is David Patrick Kelly.

Good stuff these booklets, thanks again for posting.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really liked The Warriors too, especially the first time I saw it. I watched it not that long ago and the subway scenes are more like nostalgia. They don't look like that anymore and the gangs never looked that. Big Grin But that movie is somehow still fun.

I wouldn't know why Topps would want The Warriors in a baseball set though. Because they fought with baseball bats? Because they had that Bronx Bombers gang? I would doubt that there was a printing error, probably just thought better of it. Wink

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I visited New York for the first time about 6 years ago, and was disappointed to find the subway cars relatively free of graffiti. We were pleased to see a few of those 1970's era Subway cars (with the horrific orange and brown interiors) were still in operation though.

Ah, New York City, the second greatest place in the world (after California, naturally. We've got stars in both the skies and in the sidewalks, tons of sun, lots of waves, and every kind of snow you can think of.). Cool

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The New York City subways are pretty clean and the graffiti keeps getting scrubbed now. Many of the old neighborhoods are going through a gentrification, and that can be good and bad, depending on your position. We had a billionaire mayor and now we have a progressive mayor. And most native New Yorkers wouldn't be caught dead in Times Square on New Year's Eve. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys,happy to hear you like my work.

A Happy Father's to all.

-Steve