Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question about SGU Series 1 Wallace Costume
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about SGU Series 1 Wallace Costume
 Login/Join

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
Let's all be nice and not criticize one another. If we criticize anyone, let's criticize RA for leaving such an obvious gaping hole in what was otherwise (IMO) one of their best products over the last several years. Big Grin

I don't think copyright applies in this situation because no one is attempting to make money from their custom card. If we were, we would have to find photos that were public domain or take our own photos. I rarely run into celebrities in southern Indiana...

Perhaps Mr Carlyle wouldn't sign so the criticism could be there!!! If Copyright isn't implied why state "Do not Copy" ????

I was only joking, but Mr. Carlyle has signed for another RA set and is on record saying that he loved SGU and was angry it was cancelled. So, I think they would have had a good chance of getting him instead of one of the other characters who was not really key to the show.

Since I did not create the custom cards, I can only guess why. It could have been a simple request so they had something unique; or maybe it was as you say a claim of copyright. Either way, it should not make you angry. They made something and wanted people to respect it: big deal.

I honestly did not intend to offend you. With all of the exclamation marks in your response, it seems I have. I was sincerely trying to make a joke. I thought the giant silly smile made that clear. I apologize.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
Let's all be nice and not criticize one another. If we criticize anyone, let's criticize RA for

No, this kind of energy is exactly why such discussions are necessary. It's one of the reasons why I previously self-permabanned myself from this board.

I can handle this. But thank you for applying some diplomacy. It's genuinely appreciated. <nod>

:-)

Posts: 18 | Location: United States | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:If that is the case why stamp "DO NOT COPY" over your image - Double standards?????

You're looking at it from a legal standpoint - i.e. Copyrighting. But for me, those words aren't there as a legal challenge. I applied them to make it more difficult to copy and print out - not with some intent of holding others responsible in some courtroom. If someone takes my design, I want them to work for it. It's a pain to digitally edit out white text on an image field. And if you're going to rebuild the layers - that means they'll, again, have to work for it. <g>

Even if I had the time and resources to pursue a legal challenge, it wouldn't yield anything satisfactory for me - I have many more important things on my plate to deal with. Remember this: I have little doubt that a talented person could recreate what I've done.

I've been an artist a very long time - so I've had my work ripped off before. It's something you have to get used to as a professional. Not going to attempt to say I take the high road and proclaim some pride that someone took a design of mine means it was good enough to steal. But I will say that it doesn't bother me like it used to. <g>

So now that I'm done explaining my position - we good?

P.S. You'll note I didn't showcase the custom design I created to fill in my SGU Autograph Collection. Again, I appreciate that some take offense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SGUFan,

Posts: 18 | Location: United States | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How odd - my edited post came up twice.

Huh.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGUFan:

RE: Bonding Agent

Interesting!

My initial attempt used this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9...Double/dp/B0019LP4G4

My thinking was that I could apply an even controlled coat to one side without having to deal with the mess of a liquid. Unfortunately, what turned out to be a great solution, created its own problem. That was - the glue *never* dries. Not ever. Been nearly four months since I put the Jeannie cards together and they're as still tacky as the day I applied the product. (the edges I mean)

I presume that's the point of the chemical additive incorporated into the adhesive. It can be stored for an indefinite period of time before being used.

Made for an easy application - but ended up with really sticky cards. <g>

I purchased this as a replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Ha...hesive/dp/B0025TZ26Q

Based on crafters who create similar card-like products, they swear by it's qualities.

I'll look into your suggestion. Thank you. <nod> ;-)

I've been using Elmer's Glue Sticks for creating single custom cards. Most of them are acid free, dry quickly and are easy to apply.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I would not have thought of Elmer's, but it dries clear. So, that could work quite well. I will give it a try on my next project. Thanks for the tip.

I used that rolling dispenser because it leaves double-sided tape on the paper. I run it around the outer and inner perimeters, which seems to hold fairly well. It's also acid free because it is designed for scrapbooking.

Good luck with whatever products you use.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post