Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question about SGU Series 1 Wallace Costume
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about SGU Series 1 Wallace Costume
 Login/Join

posted
Was there a variant of the Eli Wallace Costume Card from SGU Series 1?

I see the solid red cut all the time, but Eli's shirt was printed with the words, "You Are Here", and I've never seen one showing that portion of the t-shirt.

Can anyone visually (scan or picture) validate there were variants produced?

Thank you!

Posts: 18 | Location: United States | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
No visual confirmation, but I do remember at least 2 different ones with parts of the white letters on eBay when the set first hit.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your insight. It's appreciated.

Well, it seems I'm on the hunt. <g>

:-D

P.S. If anyone has one that they would be willing to showcase, I'd really love to see it.

Posts: 18 | Location: United States | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I checked mine. I got a solid red only. Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@barobehere - 'Preciate the well wishes. As I'm a solid four years behind I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Still, money does tend to speak loudly.

If anyone has one, that I can visually inspect before purchase, I'm willing pay a very decent amount. Certainly more than the cost of a box. If it's really nice, even more than that. :-)

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I have one. Here it is:

I got mine early on. I should have bought cases of this product, but I did not have enough money; so I bought a couple of dozens boxes over time. One of my favorites of all time.

Also, mine is not for sale. I am also a huge fan of the show. It is a good series to watch and re-watch and re-watch...

I wish I had a dupe I could send you. The best I can do is to wish you lots of good luck finding one. I have only seen four, including mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fuchaldream,

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@fuchaldream - I really appreciate the image! I knew that had to be a variant. There had to have been some created.

I'm guessing, based on the size of the shirt and the approximate size of the cuts themselves, that there were probably something like a couple dozen cuts possible, so I'm actually relieved. <g>

Thank you again. I really appreciate your insight.

And in regards to the show - I'm with you one-hundred percent. We're in the minority in liking the show, but it's a dedicated group of fans.

I re-watch the two seasons at least several times a year. Never gets old. :-D

P.S. I'm working on a pair of Dr. Rush custom cards, will post them here when I'm finished sometime early next year. (have designs already prepped, but it will take some bucks to pick up the Carlyle autos that I'll be using) <g>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SGUFan,

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGUFan:
@fuchaldream - I really appreciate the image! I knew that had to be a variant. There had to have been some created.

I'm guessing, based on the size of the shirt and the approximate size of the cuts themselves, that there were probably something like a couple dozen cuts possible, so I'm actually relieved. <g>

Thank you again. I really appreciate your insight.

And in regards to the show - I'm with you one-hundred percent. We're in the minority in liking the show, but it's a dedicated group of fans.

I re-watch the two seasons at least several times a year. Never gets old. :-D

P.S. I'm working on a pair of Dr. Rush custom cards, will post them here when I'm finished sometime early next year. (have designs already prepped, but it will take some bucks to pick up the Carlyle autos that I'll be using) <g>

You are welcome. Hopefully, you'll have some luck finding one for your collection.

It's good to hear that someone else stuck with it long enough to get what they were doing.

I love the original movie, SG-1, and Atlantis. Frankly, I was disappointed after the SGU premier, but I stuck with it because the team of people involved HAD to see something I did not. Also, I had seen an interview with Robert Carlyle somewhere and he seemed genuinely excited about the show. He's a great actor, and I got excited because of it.

I am currently at the end of season one for at least the 5th time.

I would love to see the Carlyle cards once they are done. I was disappointed they did not get him to sign for either set.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I was disappointed they did not get him to sign for either set."

Me too! Which is why I'm doing a pair of cut autos for my personal collection.

This one design:

I did another that's actually a bit cooler in some respects, but because I'm unfamiliar with the rules and personalities of this board, I'll refrain from publishing. <g>

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the front and back designs.

I was toying with a similar idea of doing a custom cut signature, but I have a HARD time cutting a card at all, which is the only place I could think of to get his auto. I thought about making a custom card sleeve to slide over the original auto, but I have not actually tried that concept yet.

Either way I did mine, I was trying to work with the Rittenhouse design so it would match the others, but I just was never happy how those attempts turned out...

Good luck with your project. I like what you've done there.

posted Hide Post
"...was trying to work with the Rittenhouse design so it would match the others..."

And that's the other design I did. Came out pretty good too IMO. (the curve will be a monster to tackle with a blade) But, again, I'm unfamiliar with the people, standards and expectations on this board.

Some take great offense when you "use" an existing design - prompting heated debate about copyrights, etc. Even though, as a collector, you just want to fill in that little bit of OCD by having your custom look like everything else; creating a matched set. <g>

Love your idea of a sleeve. Pretty clever solution to avoid cutting apart an issued autograph card.

Some cards however are pre-cut and so dang ugly that creating a custom is actually doing the hobby a favor. <g>

Good example of that are the Donruss Americana Director's Cuts. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Already turned one from the late Larry Hagman into a custom 'I Dream Of Jeannie'. And have plans for several others. ;-D

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...was trying to work with the Rittenhouse design so it would match the others..."

And that's the other design I did. Came out pretty good too IMO. (the curve will be a monster to tackle with a blade) But, again, I'm unfamiliar with the people, standards and expectations on this board.

Some take great offense when you "use" an existing design - prompting heated debate about copyrights, etc. Even though, as a collector, you just want to fill in that little bit of OCD by having your custom look like everything else; creating a matched set. <g>

Love your idea of a sleeve. Pretty clever solution to avoid cutting apart an issued autograph card.

Some cards however are pre-cut and so dang ugly that creating a custom is actually doing the hobby a favor. <g>

Good example of that are the Donruss Americana Director's Cuts. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Already turned one from the late Larry Hagman into a custom 'I Dream Of Jeannie'. And have plans for several others. ;-D

I have to say, one of my favorite cards in my collection is a director's cut - Tippi Hedren. I kind of liked the design.

Other than that, I think we are on the same page. Hope your project turns out great.

Glad you liked the sleeve idea. I am trying to create something using transparency paper, which could be folded. Then, the sleeve would also "protect" the autograph portion a bit. Trying to find out if the transparency paper has anything in it that would harm a card over time. I used some in a project before, but I did not have those concerns for that project. I made a memorabilia card for my wife, and the transparency layer allowed me to put items in the card that would have just fallen out otherwise. Kind of like the tooth props from Ghost Whisperer.

posted Hide Post
By the way, I'm glad you know I wan't blowing smoke - I honestly like your idea of a sleeve or shell. :-)

Some sports card issues have done something similar, but I was unfamiliar with the Ghost Whisperer Tooth inserts - so I checked them out.

Gotcha. <nodding>

Have you seen the Upper Deck Goodwin Champion's Entomology and Civil War Relic cards? Actually, several of them are so thick and/or oversized as to qualify as mini-shadow boxes. <g>

Really nice non-sport collectibles, but since many sports collectors also do the issue, they're oh so expensive. The butterflies are really impressive. Not a bug guy - but those into the creepy crawlies swear by the predator cards like scorpions and spiders.

The past year's Civil War-Era Relics/US Flag is pretty neat.

Was reading that Upper Deck had to go through several official hoops to be allowed to cut apart a US Flag from the period. There are legal hurdles to overcome - official de-commissioning, proper handling of retired flags, etc., before it could be offered up as a "souvenir".

RE: Customs

In my limited experience, the biggest challenge to a custom is doing a nice die-cut window. Or: How to create a decent design around a rectangle. <g>

I see some customs that utilize an oval shape - but none of the creators have ever responded to my requests for insight or assistance. Trade secret I suppose.

RE: Donruss Americana Director's Cuts

Hmm…Other than as source material for future customs, I can't say that I found any of them appealing. <hands raised in defense>

But I respect your viewpoint. <nod> :-)

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
In fairness, I would pretty much like anything with Tippi Hedren on it. So, the design might be terrible, I suppose... No judgement on this end. Just send all of your Tippi Hedren cards my way. Wink

I love the Entymology cards. They are very cool. I had not seen the flag card. I would love that in my collection.

The few memorabilia cards I have made used a square cut out. I found a handheld craft die cut square punch that could cut some thicker stock and punch holes in several pieces which I glued together to the desired thickness. Cutting the hole in the same spot was the trickiest part, but they turned out okay. I might invest in a machine if I decide to do more. They can typically cut thicker stock.

posted Hide Post
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Since we were speaking of Donruss Americana Director's Cuts, this is my very first custom. It's a simple design, but one that I crafted with the idea that this is what a period correct card might've looked like. <g>

Mostly, I wanted to "use" that Americana card in something other than it's original housing. <g>

Plus I got a chance to work out the materials, time, costs, etc. My only disappointment was my choice of bonding agent. Other than that - I'm pretty happy with the results. ;-)

RE: Crafting Tools

Yup. That's what I presume is how they're making those windows. Will take my time to figure it out. But I've done about a dozen designs with the rectangle or at least via straight-angles that I'm ... okay with. <g>

Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Well, if you are going to "destroy" a card to make something else, that right there is the way to do it, SGUFan. Awesome work. I especially like how you have credited / pictured the original card on the back. The design is clean and much like something one would pull from a pack.

Seriously, those are better than a lot of the professional cuts I have seen.

As for a bonding agent, if you still don't have one you like, I used something like this:
Scrapbook Adhesive

It has held up well. The first project was made a couple of years ago, and no troubles.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words. They're appreciated. <nod> :-)

RE: Source

<nodding>

In part I wanted to remember where they originally came from, and in part so that I could deflect any questions about authenticity. <g>

Don't think the SGU Rush custom will be a problem since anyone with any hobby experience can tell it's from the James Bond issue.

However, I did a 'Dune' series in the same way as the Jeannie pair - identifying the source. Tougher than it looks since some of the source material itself was so large. I'm contemplating deleting the source aspect and just keeping a digital record of the pre-cut material. Figure I can use the newly freed-up space for additional design elements.

But that series won't be completed until I can secure a few more genuine signatures. Unfortunately, the market is just filled to brim with fakes of every stripe - it's sad and astounding. So the entire run might take a looooong time before I'm finished. <g>

Ditto my take on 'Escape From New York'. Already have design and most of the big names, (ha ha) courtesy Donruss Americana, but I'm working on one last auto to complete the raw materials. And even then, with work and life, it'll be a while before I can tackle the manufacturing. <g>

RE: Bonding Agent

Interesting!

My initial attempt used this product:

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9...Double/dp/B0019LP4G4

My thinking was that I could apply an even controlled coat to one side without having to deal with the mess of a liquid. Unfortunately, what turned out to be a great solution, created its own problem. That was - the glue *never* dries. Not ever. Been nearly four months since I put the Jeannie cards together and they're as still tacky as the day I applied the product. (the edges I mean)

I presume that's the point of the chemical additive incorporated into the adhesive. It can be stored for an indefinite period of time before being used.

Made for an easy application - but ended up with really sticky cards. <g>

I purchased this as a replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Ha...hesive/dp/B0025TZ26Q

Based on crafters who create similar card-like products, they swear by it's qualities.

I'll look into your suggestion. Thank you. <nod> ;-)

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

However you stamp "FTC designs do not copy" over the image you post yet state "Some take great offense when you "use" an existing design - prompting heated debate about copyrights, etc."

If that is the case why stamp "DO NOT COPY" over your image - Double standards?????

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Let's all be nice and not criticize one another. If we criticize anyone, let's criticize RA for leaving such an obvious gaping hole in what was otherwise (IMO) one of their best products over the last several years. Big Grin

I don't think copyright applies in this situation because no one is attempting to make money from their custom card. If we were, we would have to find photos that were public domain or take our own photos. I rarely run into celebrities in southern Indiana...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
Let's all be nice and not criticize one another. If we criticize anyone, let's criticize RA for leaving such an obvious gaping hole in what was otherwise (IMO) one of their best products over the last several years. Big Grin

I don't think copyright applies in this situation because no one is attempting to make money from their custom card. If we were, we would have to find photos that were public domain or take our own photos. I rarely run into celebrities in southern Indiana...

Perhaps Mr Carlyle wouldn't sign so the criticism could be there!!! If Copyright isn't implied why state "Do not Copy" ????

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post