Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Ideal Set
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above but will make 2 exceptions.
Parallel 1 a pack or 1:3 to 4 packs. You can make a set in under 3 boxes-I am cool with.

I have no problem with sticker autos.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the autograph cards per box section.

Two autographs per box is reasonable, but what do you mean by 9 autographs per box for multiple years and 18 autographs for stand alone titles?

That can't be per box, the most autographs I can remenber in a standard box format is when RA did four a box.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Two autographs per box is reasonable, but what do you mean by 9 autographs per box for multiple years and 18 autographs for stand alone titles?

That can't be per box, the most autographs I can remenber in a standard box format is when RA did four a box.

It sounds like maybe Kennywood meant 9 or 18 autos per "title" depending on the title.

I agree with a lot of these wants, but I also do not mind sticker autos if they are done well. American Horror story dual autos are a good example.

I don't like multi-case incentives myself because I could so rarely afford a single case and could never bring myself to pay some of the prices I have seen on some of the multi-case incentives. I always like the cards. It's just not fair to me. Wink

I would like to add in prop cards. I love prop cards. I would have loved a couple from Firefly or Serenity, but Inkworks just did not have the resources or imagination at the time, I guess.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

You're right as is fuchaldream. I've corrected that part of my post to now read "9 autograph cards per set".

The sad thing is that I read my post twice before hitting the "Post Now" button and I still missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

If you have 2 autos per box, and 9 in the set, then you start getting duplicates in your 5th box. So, you would have a couple of really short printed autos to drive sales or a flood of autographs when dealers start breaking cases.

I rather like the 2-version option both Rittenhouse and Breygent have used. If you just need that character's autograph, one will do. But if you want to chase, there is another to find.

I also say scrap the incentives and put those in boxes at a rate of 1 in 3 or 1 in 6 cases. That would encourage purchases and opening boxes instead of dumping the boxes after you've sold the incentives.

And, I too don't mind a single parallel set at a range of 1 in 1 to 4 packs. BUT, make it special. Not something that if you didn't know better you'd miss it.

Kennywood, how many boxes would be produced in your ideal set? Just curious because it would seem you would need a LOT of costumes and the signers would have to sign a LOT of cards.

Good post. Interesting to see what people like.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Kennywood, how many boxes would be produced in your ideal set? Just curious because it would seem you would need a LOT of costumes and the signers would have to sign a LOT of cards.

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I had entertained the thought of trying to figure out the number of packs per box, the number of boxes per case, and the number of cases per release. I gave up because I'm not a manufacturer or a collector who uses mathematics to figure out such things.

I'm just a casual collect who buys 1, 2, or perhaps 3 boxes of a release. That's because I simply can't afford to buy cases. That's not a self pity response but rather the reality of my life. While I realize I'll probably not get the "big hits" in 1 or 2 boxes, I also don't want the manufacturers to make it more and more difficult to put together a set.

Multiple parallel sets, dozens and dozens of artists (some of whom only do a handful of sketches), and autograph cards from "character #5 who was on screen for 2 seconds" don't make collecting helpful or enjoyable.

I will occasionally read posts stating that manufacturers' costs are continually escalating. I can certainly understand that, as the same thing happens to all of us. But if the manufacturers want to cut costs, then start by reducing their printing costs. Multiple base sets per box; parallel sets of those same base sets; and, as I mentioned, paying signers who really had extremely little to do with the license are all examples of unnecessary cards and expenses.

When I sit down to open a box of cards, I want the potential of getting 1 of the 2 or 3 big hits. But I also want the assurance that I'm at least going to get a base set, a couple of autographs, and either a sketch or costume card.

I'm honestly at a point now when I'm drastically scaling back on buying boxes. That's because the manufacturers are making it more and more difficult to complete a set. I might pick up a box or two in order to hopefully pull needed cards for sets I've already begun. But I've lately been spending my money on individual cards I need to complete those sets I already have.

Perhaps I'm that proverbial lone voice crying in the wilderness. Perhaps I'm a simplistic collector in a hobby that is growing more and more complex. If so, I'll be content to work on my existing sets.

I am essentially the same; I can't afford to buy a lot of a product but I still enjoy it. It is sad when (the rare) someone gets condescending about buying a case if you want something high end. That is tountamount to saying "why bother try?" but I like to think that I am still contributing to the longevity of the hobby and that if I and every collector like me stopped partaking, we'd be missed.

Anyhow, this affects my outlook. With the likes of Game of Thrones I don't limit myself to one autograph style. It is unlikely I'd ever be able to get anywhere near a master set of cards so I am content with just having 'an' autograph of an actor who I like in a role I enjoy. I love consistency but they are all portrait which is enough I feel - with the James Bond cards the difference between 40th, Full Bleed, and Women of Bond is a bit more noticeable.

Conversely I like parallels, so long as they're multiple (of the same level/set) per box. Like I said, a master set is not immediate priority for me. If you are buying in small quantities, it's nice to have a new insert every couple of packs. I enjoyed the likes of Game of Thrones season 2 in that capacity for the various inserts. If you are young and buying a small number of packs every now and again, you will be disappointed if you only pull base cards. If you buy three packs and pull one insert, even if it's just a shiny parallel, you still feel some sense of gratification and awareness that it has tradable value. Yes, buying packs is not efficient in the slightest, but kids are never going to buy a box on no income and you can't just remove them completely from the hobby! I'm still in my early 20s and it doesn't feel that long ago that it was packs-or-nothing. With Game of Thrones Season 2, per 24 packs you should pull 16 inserts which largely never come more than one per pack. Sure the inserts are of varying worth, but you still feel you're getting something exciting. If there were no parallels, that would half down to 8 inserts per 24 packs. Plus it gives people something new to actually chase! Each to their own but I don't personally see the point of throwing money at a set and completing it instantly. I like slowly building. The longer it takes (within reason) or the harder it is, the bigger sense of accomplishment you get from it.

I understand why incentives are included in sets, but I really do appreciate that Rittenhouse sometimes seed them at the bottom of boxes so there is still a chance to get them without the after market.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I definatly agree with the costume card bit. Thumb Up

To have a piece of costume on the card that has nothing to do with the costume being worn in the picture is total rubbish and I would never buy such a thing.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As an artist I have to disagree with the sketch card bit. Smile Having a limited number of artists per set is fine, but having artists do more than 50 cards each is potentially asking for lesser quality sketches as even 50 sketch cards takes a lot of time. Keep in mind that it's also rare to only be working on sketch cards for one particular set at any point in time and the turn around time is usually around 2 months. Having artists do 50+ cards in a short period is why you end up with Screaming Monkey sketch cards.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right as is fuchaldream. I've corrected that part of my post to now read "9 autograph cards per set".

The sad thing is that I read my post twice before hitting the "Post Now" button and I still missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I do the same thing and still have errors. Big Grin

I think 18 autographs per set is fine, but a nine signer list is too small, especially when some might be short printed.

Take the first season of Big Bang with eleven autographs total. The five stars were very limited, two semi-regulars were limited and the four minor semi-regulars were commons. So naturally all people pulled were the four commons over and over again.

I actually like Game of Thrones with its 48 - 50 different autograph cards per set, but I can see where some collecters might think that too much. So I would go with a minimum of at least twenty different autograph cards, including three duals, in my ideal set.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a couple reasons I chose 9 autographs:
  • This would be for licenses with multiple releases. Limiting a set to only 9 autograph cards would spread the major autograph cards over multiple sets. This way, the first set isn't loaded with all of the major signers and the subsequent sets are heavy on the minor signers.

But how can you be sure the major autograph cards would be spread over multiple sets? There is no guarantee missing signers can even be obtained the next time around.

And how many collectors would be satisfied if they heard that only one or two of the major signers would be in a given set, when there might be four or five of them? Collectors want all of the major cast to sign in every set and the interest as well as the estimated value goes down whenever big names are not included.

Its not so much whether you keep it at nine or make it eighteen. If the main cast is included in the nine and they are all signing an equal number of cards people will pull them. But if you short print the main cast, as usually happens, you don't have enough other names to meet your stated odds of 2 autographs per box. The same commons cards will be repeatedly pulled.

Either you cut your ideal set to one autograph per box and add another type of hit, or you would have to expand the signer list to more names. Nine signers will not support a two per box construction to me.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
There is one aspect that has not been brought up in this whole discussion.

No matter how you put a set together, it's a failure if the manufacturer cannot make money on the set. And talking with manufacturers today that's a major concern.

If they don't make money, it may be their last. Can anyone say "The Spirit"?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
I only bought a few sets these past years, but always felt quality had switched for quantity when X autos started to be garanted in each box. Filler autos of minor actors started to flood the releases. Actors who appeared a few minutes in the series/movie or who were not important at all in the storyline. Crew members can be included when they are known or loved by fans (JJ Abrams, Joss Whedon, Patricia Field costume designer for sex and the city etc.)

- Boxes - Standard - no premium/archive boxes

- Base Cards - One full set per box (no parallel cards), can be 81 or 90 cards.

- Autograph Cards - no stickers at all/ no redemption cards
One per box or less (could be one per box of either an autograph, or a costume card, or sketch card)
9 autograph cards per set for series/movies with a small main cast (3 or 4 for exemple)
18 autograph cards for series/shows with a larger main cast
1 or 2 dual autographs can be found within the set, of meaningful duets (or other multiple signed card if relevant). (9 or 18 will look good in binder pages).

- Costume Cards - One per box (or could be one per box of either an autograph, or a costume card, or sketch card)
9 costumes for small cast, or 18 costumes for larger cast
With a good quality picture of the wardrobe used on screen during the show/movie

- Sketch Cards - Could be one in every 3 boxes or less
No more than 30 sketches per artist, b/w and color quality sketches

- Chase Cards - three or four types per release
This completeset must fit within 9 pocket pages (no holes in binder)
NO parallel cards at all
No prop cards

- Box Toppers - 5 cards

- Case Topper - 1 card

- Multi-case Incentives : 3 cards and some of them MUST be included in boxes too. (no idea of the odds, what works best for the manufacturer/dealer/buyer)

- Promo Cards - At least 4 promo cards

- Binder with 1 card (promo or chase card)

All 9 pocket pages will be filled if you get one card of each, and the collection will look good, without a half empty page.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To be guaranteed as many boxes you want of a show you love (lets just say for example, The Walking Dead)instead of worrying you may not get even one box, because the company who release them have indicated in advance, they are limited and allocated, then you have to buy off one of these allocated buyers on Ebay with an upped price.

A full bleed base set with slim white border so no chippings

About one set and between 8-10 doubles per box
(instead of getting stuck with 2 and a half sets plus 23 more singles)

2-3 autos per box (full bleed)

A costume per box (or 2)

given up on sketch cards and their ratio

The more inserts the merrier (including parallel) but NO shadowbox cards

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post