Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Postage rates
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted
Postage rates took a massive hit last night.
$2.60 for one ounce US but international is $13 for ONE OUNCE.
My mind is completely blown.
It gets better in the mid range rates like 4-8 ounces but 1 card purchase is nuts. Unless sent letter rate, then it's better.
Here's where the questions is. Several years ago, a couple of cards could go letter rate..or large envelope rate. A couple of rate changes ago, they cracked down on that option and made mine go package. The reason is it needs to be somewhat bendable. And there's a question on if that's either 1. true or 2. a good way to send cards..esp expensive cards.
It would surely disallow much beyond the toploader. Like no extra cardboard.
Any international customers have any input on receiving packages sent letter? Anyone wanna spend $13 on shipping one card?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I think a toploader is generally enough protection. The International postage rates are killing any mail being sent abroad. I recently went to post some items (worth about £10) to USA and they wanted £12 to send it!! I have been purchasing $5 cards and paying $8 postage! that has now ended now and it is killing my interest in this hobby as nobody in the UK is selling the individual cards that I want.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I'm more than happy to receive cards sent letter.

In fact, I wish more sellers offered the option.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
Shipping rates have just increased in Canada too and are just getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to experiment with how we ship now. I'd hate to charge $9.00 to ship one small padded envelope overseas now. Frown

I think it you mail a single card in a toploader in a small photo mailer (they are bendable) shipping would be cheaper from the US. We've received ones like that going to Canada and it was cheaper for the person mailing in the US. As soon as it's a bubble envelope the rates go up to parcel. It's really ridiculous now.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
I'm more than happy to receive cards sent letter.

In fact, I wish more sellers offered the option.

I'd offer it if it would work and value wasn't too high. But, if they are gonna insist it won't work and charge the extra postage..
But, I"m almost sure ebay doesn't offer a letter options which means someone could complain if it came letter.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I think a toploader is generally enough protection. The International postage rates are killing any mail being sent abroad. I recently went to post some items (worth about £10) to USA and they wanted £12 to send it!! I have been purchasing $5 cards and paying $8 postage! that has now ended now and it is killing my interest in this hobby as nobody in the UK is selling the individual cards that I want.

I swear I should start a business where people have the cards sent to me and when the stack is big enough, I send it over to overseas clients Wink

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

I swear I should start a business where people have the cards sent to me and when the stack is big enough, I send it over to overseas clients

I am doing this at the moment, works great both ways. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Until the dreaded customs invoice card arrives!

Is there a special rate for the sending of greetings cards as they could be used for sending singles cards if inside one without the top loader. I sent a few that way in December with no reported problems.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the sellers I used to deal with frequently in the UK would gather lots of orders together, ship them in one outer package to the U.S., and have an associate ship them within U.S. from NYC. I'm really surprised that one of the big shipping companies hasn't started doing that in both directions. Maybe it gets complicated with Customs. Maybe Customs has some of the same bosses as Royal Mail or USPS. I still think it may be possible for cardsellers with enough volume to team with associates overseas, especially now that things are getting out of hand. These days I rarely buy from the UK unless I combine a bunch of items, or wait for some of the UK releases to hit Australian sellers, which (for the moment) seems to be more favorable for shipping costs.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Until the dreaded customs invoice card arrives!

Is there a special rate for the sending of greetings cards as they could be used for sending singles cards if inside one without the top loader. I sent a few that way in December with no reported problems.

regards

John

If you send a greeting card with single cards inside then you just pay the £2.25. Of course the problem with all of this is there is no tracking, so OK if sending to friend or somebody you trust but if selling on e-bay etc you take the chance of somebody saying they didn't get it. I have had people sending stuff for $3 and it gets to me OK but the $9 has traking so gives sellers some cover.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It seems that my thoughts are a little undeveloped so many thanks for Hammer and Allender in reminding me to think it through before posting.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
eBay considerations will be further complicated here in the UK from February when a new set of Seller Performance Standards are being introduced. One of the new measures is 'Late delivery rate'. To quote the new regulations from the new look Seller Dashboard:

"Late delivery rate

If you post on time and upload a validated tracking number, or your buyers tell us their items were posted on time when they leave Feedback, you're all set.

Otherwise, if the tracking details or your buyers indicate that more than 9.00% of your transactions were dispatched late, we may follow up with you about the handling time you offer in your listings.

When there's no tracking information available and no response from the buyer, the transaction won't be counted."

So anything sent without tracking will leave sellers open to all sorts of potential abuse of the system by buyers. It's a sad fact that the number of buyers who do take advantage of eBay's various Buyer Protection Systems has been increasing over the past couple of years. They are still very much in a minority but when you encounter one it can be a major problem.

Anothr consideration is the general reliability of internation postal services. For the past couple of years, I have been part of an international survey of airmail sent from Europe to the UK. I am sent lists of letters that I can expect to receive each week. I have to go online when they arrive to give delivery dates and mention any problems or non-deliveries. In the time I have been participating most letters have arrived on-time and intact. However, around once a month a letter arrives with some kind of damage. This includes being folded or creased, water damage and cuts and tears. Around once every 3-4 months a letter fails to arrive at all. All the letters are sent regular airmail without tracking. However, some contain electronic transponders so they can and are tracked en route to see where the hold-ups and bottle necks are occuring. From my experience, these letters are the ones most likely to arrive with creases or folds.

So it is important to remember that while the vast majority of international post will arrive on time time and unharmed, this is not true for 100% of all international post and never will be.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I suspect that if I do send cards in letter form, it will be to regular clients and not ebay. Since, as you note, there's no tracking available, it could cause issues. WHich seems kinda funny if you think about it. I am trying to help them get cards at a cheap price. But, there is a small portion (in my experience) who could abuse this system.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
I suspect that if I do send cards in letter form, it will be to regular clients and not ebay. Since, as you note, there's no tracking available, it could cause issues. WHich seems kinda funny if you think about it. I am trying to help them get cards at a cheap price. But, there is a small portion (in my experience) who could abuse this system.

Always a minority who spoil it for the majority!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
OK I know that ranting does no good but just wanted to commiserate with those that have posted here.

Gasoline prices have dropped significantly in the US and that SHOULD save the USPS a lot of money if they ran it effectively.
Regular gas sells for $1.60/gal where I live

With low oil prices, many folks around the country are having their hours cut back or even losing their jobs. So postal increases hurt the "bottom line"
for many these days... Especially small business

And yet the USPS continues to raise their rates as often as they are allowed to by our government...
And so the working class majority loses again

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just received two cards that were posted on 8th December 2015 as per the date stamp which was Greensboro North Carolina. Why or where the delay was I have no idea. They weighed 1/2 oz and were in a small envelope which included a top loader, a penny sleeve and a small 3 x 5 message card as well as the 2 cards which were quite thin. The stamp was a Silver Bells Global Wreath which I believe is used for 1st Class International post. As to its cost I am not sure.

No customs declaration as it was a trade rather than a purchase.

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
That's the cheapest post anybody could send to UK from America so probably was treated the same way our economy post to America would be sent. Given the cost it got here in good time for $1.20 (I think). Economy post to USA (up to 20 gms is only 85p but takes up to 6 weeks.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I send promos and singles in a toploader and a sleeve in a first class letter and have been for years. Maybe 5 have been lost or damaged but it was not a big deal replacing them. Sketch cards are another matter, especially anything over $20 I ship in a padded envelope. For me the price went up $3.75 (my average international shipping cost is about $10.00) which i will split with the customer. So $1.85 for me. Not a deal killer. I hope. Yet.

Evan

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
That's the cheapest post anybody could send to UK from America so probably was treated the same way our economy post to America would be sent. Given the cost it got here in good time for $1.20 (I think). Economy post to USA (up to 20 gms is only 85p but takes up to 6 weeks.

It's not economy, Global Forever International stamps are First Class and cost $1.20, 1 stamp good for 1 ounce. Letter rate.

https://www.usps.com/internati...il-international.htm

It's the same service as our Airmal/International Standard

I'm informed with those that have more knowledge sending cards via that method sometimes get charges added for containing a rigid object, especially when sending at a Post Office.

One ounce Package ie bubble envelope is the service which has taken a huge hit.
Global Forever Stamps tend to rise 0 or 5 cents annually.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WarriorBabe,

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
If it sells on eBay or with Paypal.....
I make sure I get a Tracking Number. $1.20 doesn't even come close. Without a Tracking Number, a customer can say they Never got it.
I can't prove they did. I'm out the cards & the Money. Not gonna Risk it with anything.

I never send ANYTHING without Tracking.....

Fool Me Once, Shame on You.
Fool Me Twice, Shae on Me.

I use eBay Global Shipping for most of my International Sales...... I do on occasion, ship Package/ Thick Envelope... I had to upgrade today to International Priority Padded Envelope to cover the Value... Package/ Thick Envelope won't go above $ 400.00 Value.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post