Postage rates

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/7957023086

February 10, 2016, 08:47 AM
Kevin F
Postage rates
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
OK I'm sorry if I called a seller a ratbag. It comes from a huge sense of frustration though and as Wolfie has said the outrageous postage fees that some want to charge is killing off collecting for me.

Two things that I would like you to consider though is that what we are talking about here is a $US1.00 card!!Why can't a seller take a risk? Apart from the fact that I state in writing that I will hold no claim against him for loss or damage what is the full extent of the risk? At worst $1 + a couple of bucks postage? When I think about the number of cards I have given away not to mention covering the postage myself because I waat to help out a fellow collector you will excuse me for getting a bit snippy to someone who things we are trading the Town Hall clock.

Over $5?? OK tell me your postage rules and I will decide if I want to buy, under $5?? Come on guy - cut me some slack here!!
Trading with another collector through this forum is one thing but eBay is a totally different beast. As STCardGeek has pointed out, getting negative feedback from a $1.00 card is just as serious a problem as getting it for a $100 card.

It is now impossible to charge a buyer the exact cost of postage as eBay include postage/shipping costs in the Final Value Fees. So you can immediately be out of pocket by 10% (actually only 8% personally as I have a basic shop) then a further 3.4%+ courtesy of Paypal taking their cut as well. Add in the fact an awful lot of buyers find it hard to understand that envelopes, jiffy bags, toploaders and even penny sleeves and team bags cost money so hand out low DSRs when you ask for even 1p more than the price of the stamp.

I don't list $1.00 cards on eBay, not even as auction listings, as they almost always end up losing money after fees and postage are taken into account
February 11, 2016, 12:38 AM
btlfannz
I was talking to another local collector the other day (Maybe the only other card collector in NZ!!) It made me laugh when he called card collecting the American hobby.

The fact is that 98% of all cards I buy are from US dealers/sellers. Ebay doesn't give a monkey's wotzit if you don't live in America.

Postage & fees are absolutely prohibitive but take it or leave it America is the only game in town.

February 11, 2016, 08:00 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

take it or leave it America is the only game in town.

well i don't think i am agreeing with that. The UK has at least two major manufacturers, loads of dealers and more sets of cards past & present than you could ever collect in your lifetime. Smile

February 12, 2016, 04:21 AM
richnet
if a funny way as a dealer who can talk direct to other dealers the high usa post has helped as now people ask me first if i got the cards rather than buying from usa themselves and risk the dreaded royal mail £8 charge for collecting import duty vat Smile

if the uk/europe had a wholesaler for usa hobby most the problems would be sorted.

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.
February 18, 2016, 11:14 PM
btlfannz
I was having a whinge on this forum a while back about sellers who won't put cheap cards into a simple mailer. Well I gave into the demands of one seller simply because I wanted the card bad enough he charged me $15 for a 0.90c card.
It arrived today. The card was in a penny sleeve, then a hard plastic sleeve, then in a zip bag. This lot was then sandwiched between to polystyrene blocks about an inch thick. Then it was put int a 100ct cardboard box surrounded by polystyrene chips. No wonder it cost $15 to mail. Still my 90c card arrived undamaged. WooHoo praise the Lord and save me from idiots.

February 22, 2016, 10:39 AM
WarriorBabe
USPS now charge the same to post 1oz as they do 8oz on International Packets. I believe the small surcharge for sending a Large Envelope with rigid item has also been stopped.

So it may be that even with more modest packaging it still would have cost that $15 to send.

February 25, 2016, 11:01 AM
kane1
I sell to International buyers. Years ago, I remember when the 1rst big increase of International postage from the USPS. I lost some potential sales for single cards. Now with the last one. It will be a miracle see a sale for just one card.

Believe me. I know how you feel. But for some USA sellers. It is difficult deal with International sales. Many just drop items in the corner mailbox or give it to the USPS carrier assign to their neighbors. But International letters or package must be drop to the USPS clerk.

As buyer I received cards in PWE. I want to know your experience with USA sellers shipping in PWE to your countries. Please share your experience.
February 25, 2016, 07:11 PM
STCardGeek
Assuming you are using some sort of metered mail, it doesn't have to be dropped off with a clerk. I"m pretty sure paypal labels and ebay labels qualify for this as well.
After 9/11 and they tightened up the rules (anything over like 13 ounces had to be handed to a clerk. My PO suggested the metered option as I don't drive and this was a massive hit to my being able to ship things. I used ebay or a third party company called endicia. It helps alot!

February 25, 2016, 11:54 PM
kane1
Technically any package with paid postage label can be receive by your local USPS carrier. But it isn't the same for collection boxes.

I saw some collection boxes with a requirement labels. Like no International letters or package or only letters or Domestic less than 13oz or combination.

I searched in the USPS FAQs. It looks like only the 13oz and International mail without customs isn't allowed in any box. But it looks like depends from collection box to collection box. You must search their FAQs with the following parameters:

"What Can and Cannot be Deposited in a Collection Box?"
February 26, 2016, 11:32 PM
Chris Cline
Just sent a 10 pound box to a friend in England. Just $90 to ship. No wonder we only ship each other once or so a year now.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/
March 03, 2016, 10:15 AM
David R
I almost had a heart attack over an ebay auction which I saw

Seller is in the UK

He has promo cards for sale for $ 1 each

Shipping to the USA-- $ 18 !!!!!!!!
March 03, 2016, 10:46 AM
piperh33
I believe I see who is he... It was one of my favorite seller for many cards (inserts, promos, etc...) And he had change the shipping. Frown

I live in France : Shipping is the same of you, David R : $ 18 !! Because Due to ever increasing lost and delayed mail we are now migrating to a tracked / signed for and insured mailing service with all our orders.

I understand for rare cards, variants or boxes, but for promo card at $ 1..., it's abusive ! And very crazy !! Mad Eek Roll Eyes

March 03, 2016, 11:12 AM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I almost had a heart attack over an ebay auction which I saw

Seller is in the UK

He has promo cards for sale for $ 1 each

Shipping to the USA-- $ 18 !!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of the UK buyer when a USA seller has the Ebay Global Shipping Program Frown .
March 05, 2016, 10:43 AM
kane1
quote:
Problem is negative feedback is just a hit on a $1 card as it is on a $100 card.

Never forget the point from STCardGeek. Sites like eBay don't care about how much cost an item. eBay/Paypal with the excuse of protecting the "buyers" transformed in a dictator.

As far I can tell. If a seller increase their International S&H prices. It can mean 3 things:

1) It is because he is more interesting to get a multiple/combine sale.
[or]
2) He/she is trying to protect himself/herself and wants to ship items very well "protected".
[or]
3) He/she is trying to avoid International sales without looking xenophobic.
March 08, 2016, 04:02 PM
monsterwax
I'm really bummed that they really jacked up foreign rates this year, just two (maybe three) years after raising them so dramatically last time. Small priority boxes went from $15 to UK to $25, an now they jumped to $34! Medium sized priority boxes went from $33 to Australia to $75!!! When the prices first jumped a couple years back, they said it was because of rising fuel prices. But now fuel is at an all time low, and the postoffice made over a billion profit for 2015. So Lord help us what will happen when gas prices increase! Who can afford to buy a $50 box when the postage is $35 (and that doesn't even include custom fees!)

March 11, 2016, 06:45 AM
ravenheart
Question for Americans/Canadians:

Assuming you forego full international tracking, which we all know is hideously expensive, what does it ACTUALLY cost to mail a handful of cards to Europe?

I know it depends on thickness and weight a little, but as an example I recently had an order of five prop/costume cards shipped in toploaders and a padded envelope from the US to the UK. I paid $13 shipping, and when they arrived the label on the envelope had a postage amount of $4.32 on it. A couple of toploaders and an envelope don't cost $8... so is there an additional charge that I'm not aware of for sending abroad which isn't shown on the mailing label?

This was not using the Global Shipping Program, by the way.

I'd always assumed that US dealers charging what I would call "reasonable" shipping amounts of $5-7 were trading a small loss on shipping for increased sales, and the ones with high shipping were accepting that they might not sell so many items to foreign buyers so that they didn't lose on shipping costs. This is causing me to revise my assessment...
March 11, 2016, 07:19 AM
STCardGeek
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
I'm really bummed that they really jacked up foreign rates this year, just two (maybe three) years after raising them so dramatically last time. Small priority boxes went from $15 to UK to $25, an now they jumped to $34! Medium sized priority boxes went from $33 to Australia to $75!!! When the prices first jumped a couple years back, they said it was because of rising fuel prices. But now fuel is at an all time low, and the postoffice made over a billion profit for 2015. So Lord help us what will happen when gas prices increase! Who can afford to buy a $50 box when the postage is $35 (and that doesn't even include custom fees!)

Always remember to double check is a package needs flat rate or regular priority mail.
There are certain weights were non-flat rate is better.

March 11, 2016, 07:44 AM
STCardGeek
posted March 11, 2016 07:42 AM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:

Always remember to double check is a package needs flat rate or regular priority mail.
There are certain weights were non-flat rate is better.

Here's the thing. First class package is $13. (ebay usually only offers this one) Large envelope is $4. Anything not over 3/4 inches thick can go large envelope if it's bendable. They seem to ebb and flow on what they think is large envelopes. For years when prices went up, they were really strict and made all my padded envelopes with cards and top loaders go package. Got them more money. Then all of a sudden it seemed like recently they've gone sort a bit. A few times recently, I've gone to the PO (I usually do my own at home) with package they've sent it flat letter even though I expected the package. I even saw one check it's thickness and not bother with rigidity.
This would be great for a few reasons...cheaper....doesn't require custom forms. But, it's not a guarantee. If someone later down the line thinks it's wrong, it will either be returned to me or sent to the client postage due. Or will it sit in some corner somewhere, rejected cause it is now a package without a customs forms.
I absolutely would love to send it envelope. But, it's a **** shoot and I hate **** shooting with cards Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

March 11, 2016, 08:08 AM
ravenheart
quote:
First class package is $13. (ebay usually only offers this one) Large envelope is $4.

These were definitely sent via standard first class international letter.

Rigidity is an interesting condition... we don't have that on our international services, that I'm aware. Is that because standard letter mail goes through sorting machinery which might bend it, and packages don't because of their bulkier size?
March 12, 2016, 09:25 AM
STCardGeek
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
First class package is $13. (ebay usually only offers this one) Large envelope is $4.

These were definitely sent via standard first class international letter.

Rigidity is an interesting condition... we don't have that on our international services, that I'm aware. Is that because standard letter mail goes through sorting machinery which might bend it, and packages don't because of their bulkier size?

Yes, letters go through a 90 degree angles, packages only a slight angle.