Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Postage rates
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the key factor here is the value of the item you are sending. For me as a seller of mainly items valued under £20/$28 on Ebay I just don't think tacking/insurance is worth the additional cost,hassle, and most importantly loss of custom from bidders who rightly see postage cost as a key factor in whether to buy.

On the few occasions when I list something more valuable than £20/$28 I always up the postage for tracking.

I think in these days of increasing costs everyone ( both buyers and sellers ) needs to be more flexible and use common sense. Both sides have valid points of view Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I think the key factor here is the value of the item you are sending. For me as a seller of mainly items valued under £20/$28 on Ebay I just don't think tacking/insurance is worth the additional cost,hassle, and most importantly loss of custom from bidders who rightly see postage cost as a key factor in whether to buy.
For items valued at £20 and under in the UK, I agree entirely as the Royal Mail provides £20 of insurance cover as standard on all items sent regular First or Second Class post and Regular Airmail. When I sell on eBay or to a direct buyer woth £20 or under, I just ask for the price of regular First Class post (Note, I never, ever use Second Class after a friend who works in the Royal Mail explained how it can be treated). However, if you read my earlier post about the new set of Seller Performance rules eBay are introducing I may have to change this policy for eBay sales.

For items over £20, things get a bit trickier Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
What is happening in the US is the same world-wide. As email inexorably replaces letters so Post Office profitability plummets. To compensate for this they simply upscale the mailing rates. The effect of this is that even less people send letters, accounts, business mail etc are sent by snailmail. I don't have a problem with this because a cheap alternative (email) is available.

What bugs the %&#$ out of me is that they are levying the increased rate on parcels. Parcel mail is the only game in town and the Postal Services in nearly all countries has total control over it. My guess is that they are not losing money because it is a captured market.

Lets face it you cannot email a parcel.

Someone has to step in and stop these ratbags from price gouging and I suspect that only a government can do that.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Email replaces letters sure but that same internet produces parcels, parcels and more parcels.

Post companies love to focus on falling letter revenues without mentioning rising parcels producing profits.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
I am very frustrated right now with the outrageous shipping price increase, plus the Global shipping program on eBay for most of the US sellers and on top of that the dollar exchange CAD vs. US.

This is not very good for international collectors Frown

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
I am very frustrated right now with the outrageous shipping price increase, plus the Global shipping program on eBay for most of the US sellers and on top of that the dollar exchange CAD vs. US.

This is not very good for international collectors Frown

Part of what they have done is eliminate most of the different weight classes for First Class International package and condense it down to only 4. If you can buy a lot at once and get it close to the top of a weight class(and have a seller who will combine shipping)it's not as bad. The 4 new rates to Canada are:
1-8 oz $9.50
9-32 oz $15.50
33-48 oz $24.50
49-64 oz $36.50
People using using eBay and stamps.com may get some discount off those rate. Of course eBay sellers are also paying around 12% in eBay/Paypal fees on shipping which just about offsets any discount they are getting.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanoElMano
posted Hide Post
I agree with archifou. These postal increases, the global shipping program (which includes pre-paid customs charges in most cases) and current exchange rates are killing us in Canada. When I started collecting cards 10+ years ago, a single card going for 1$US would total CDN$3-4 dollars including postage. Base sets were CDN$10 all in. This was acceptable. Today, a single card can run CDN$15 and a base set up to $30 delivered. I always found the cost + delivery of binders excessive so I never really went in for those unless they were part of a mini-master. I can't imagine paying for one individually today. Also, I've managed to build my collection with only a handful of customs charges being applied.

In those early days costs were low so many brick & mortar stores closed. Now it seems shipping costs are starting to impact the online dealers as well. I feel sorry for them as a result. In my opinion the trend seems to be generally lower sale prices and less bidding.

I live 30 minutes from the largest city in Canada and even my options are limited for retailers. Virtually no one carries non-sport cards. Some larger retailers such are Walmart or Toys-R-Us have a display but the stock is usually limited to CCG or dog tags. If you do find retail packs of a broader release they are typically priced at $4-6 or more per pack. Target had a better set up but they folded their entire Canadian operation last year due to profitability concerns.

The whole system seems designed around squeezing out lower priced items. You have to very carefully investigate the total cost now, not just the selling price of the item. My future spending maybe be limited to only items special to me or complete sets to avoid much higher costs filling in those holes. Maybe digital collections really are the next big thing. Store it on a cloud server somewhere for all to see.

Who knows? Maybe these recent low gas prices might mean a road trip to a Philly show in the future. Wink

Dan

Posts: 44 | Location: Canada, below the 49th. | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
Email replaces letters sure but that same internet produces parcels, parcels and more parcels.

Post companies love to focus on falling letter revenues without mentioning rising parcels producing profits.

You are so right. I'm sure mail delivery is different in the US and UK, but the PO is crying poverty all over and it's not true. They are wasting money through bad management and corporate greed.

In the US, I use to have most parcels delivered to my home via Fed Ex or UPS. Now almost all of my parcels are delivered by the regular mail carrier. They are dropped off at the local post office rather than coming straight to me and then the local mailmen delivery them. This makes it cheaper for the first carrier because they are going to central locations rather than individual addresses. But now I have to wait for PO delivery and they are surely getting paid something to do it.

The PO can cite email and online bill paying as reasons why there is a reduction in first class mail, but until they make drone delivery, a real person has to deliver packages and that part has significantly increased. Over the holidays I know for sure that my POs were mobbed. So maybe their operations are inefficient, I don't even have a regular mailman anymore, they are all fill ins, but don't say that they don't have the business to stay profitable. They are just poorly run and we pay the price.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've just recieved a package from Australia. Smile

An autograph card in a soft sleeve, in a hard holder, in a team bag, in a bubble envelope.

Cost: Australia to the UK... $2.75

Don't tell me it can't be done.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

An autograph card in a soft sleeve, in a hard holder, in a team bag, in a bubble envelope.

I'm with you Wolfie, I have just received a $US1 value card from the US that the vendor wanted $NZ46 to send it to me. I said that I did not require tracking, insurance or a bubble bag but please just pop it into a stiff sleeve and then into a white envelope. I offered to absolve him from any claw-back if the card didn't arrive or was damaged. The card arrived the other day in good order(of course!) and the mail cost was $US2.25.
Conversely, I have just had to pay $US15.50 for a $5 card because the ratbag dealer/seller wouldn't agree to my mailing method.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:

I'm with you Wolfie, I have just received a $US1 value card from the US that the vendor wanted $NZ46 to send it to me. I said that I did not require tracking, insurance or a bubble bag but please just pop it into a stiff sleeve and then into a white envelope. I offered to absolve him from any claw-back if the card didn't arrive or was damaged. The card arrived the other day in good order(of course!) and the mail cost was $US2.25.
Conversely, I have just had to pay $US15.50 for a $5 card because the ratbag dealer/seller wouldn't agree to my mailing method.

Unfair to call the seller a Ratbag - if that is the postage price advertised, that is the price you expect to pay (and bid on it on that basis), if the seller is willing to "take a chance" and do it for less that is a bonus.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

Unfair to call the seller a Ratbag

OMG, i'm going to have to agree with Hammer, it's a sad day when it comes to this. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you were buying something from me direct, I would certainly consider sending it the way you describe but only if you put in writing that if the card got lost or damaged in transit then you accept full responsibility. If you were buying off me on eBay then absolutely no way would I agree to send it any other way than the options given in the listing. Thanks to the Buyer Guarantee given by eBay, there are now far too many 'ratbag' buyers on there trying to rip off sellers. So I would simply not be prepared to take the risk.

My attitude where eBay sales is concerned was cemented in place a while back when a buyer tried to rip me off using a credit card charge back through Paypal. Had I not sent the item by Signed For Delivery, I would have been out to the tune of £25-£30 with no chance of appeal as I would not have been able to prove to Paypal that the goods had been delivered. Several other forum members on here were not so fortunate at the time and lost out to the same buyer.

Increasing shipping costs combined with increasingly unreliable postal services around the World are really hurting this hobby Frown Add in the buyers and sellers who make life difficult for everyone else and you have a recipe for disaster, or at least a rapidly declining hobby.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Kevin is quite right of course, if you are an ebay seller you are going to lose every claim unless you have posted your item airtight and not open to abuse and unfortunatly that costs a lot of money.

It is of course killing the hobby on international sales, i lose track of the amount of items i would have bid on until i look at the postage rate and that is the end of that.

There are ways around all this that keep everyone happy, you just need to get creative and get some forum friends in each country who will help you out.

I hear there is an awfully nice chap in the UK. Wavey

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A dealer protecting himself isn't a ratbag. Your mailing method works swell for you and doesn't do a thing for him.
It's not like he gets to KEEP the postage money. He's giving it to the PO!
If I know the buyer, and it's off ebay, sure, I might be game to give it a go. I honestly and truly want the bulk of a collector's money to be spent on cards, not postage. But if I do opt to protect myself. you dont' get to call me a ratbag.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
quote:
quote:

A dealer protecting himself isn't a ratbag. Your mailing method works swell for you and doesn't do a thing for him.
It's not like he gets to KEEP the postage money. He's giving it to the PO!
If I know the buyer, and it's off ebay, sure, I might be game to give it a go. I honestly and truly want the bulk of a collector's money to be spent on cards, not postage. But if I do opt to protect myself. you dont' get to call me a ratbag.

Totally agree, STCardGeek. I don't sell a whole lot on eBay, but when I do, I have to do whatever I can to make sure the buyer gets their cards. I've been on both ends of packages going missing, sometimes for a while, sometimes forever. I'm pretty sure I've also been the victim of a scam in the past, and have lost the card, the selling price, the postage, the fees, etc.

btl, I understand that you may offer to absolve the seller in the event something goes wrong, but not everyone feels the same way or would necessarily honor this commitment. Plus, eBay and PayPal really don't care about such agreements when it comes down to who is at fault in the event a claim is filed. If I can't prove I sent it, I lose--no questions asked.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I just went through a process with a seller on ebay. He/she purchased one card and wanted more cards of auctions that had closed with no bids. When I refused to sell her/him cards from auctions that had ended because the transaction would be outside of ebay they went nuts. I did all the steps ebay said to do. Then after all was settled with ebay, they paypal money on a cancelled transaction so they can leave negative feedback on me with ebay doing nothing to retract it.

So, Yes, when I sell on ebay, I do everything that will protect myself. When I trade here whatever we agree to is what I honor.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
OK I'm sorry if I called a seller a ratbag. It comes from a huge sense of frustration though and as Wolfie has said the outrageous postage fees that some want to charge is killing off collecting for me.

Two things that I would like you to consider though is that what we are talking about here is a $US1.00 card!!Why can't a seller take a risk? Apart from the fact that I state in writing that I will hold no claim against him for loss or damage what is the full extent of the risk? At worst $1 + a couple of bucks postage? When I think about the number of cards I have given away not to mention covering the postage myself because I waat to help out a fellow collector you will excuse me for getting a bit snippy to someone who things we are trading the Town Hall clock.

Over $5?? OK tell me your postage rules and I will decide if I want to buy, under $5?? Come on guy - cut me some slack here!!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK I'm sorry if I called a seller a ratbag. It comes from a huge sense of frustration though and as Wolfie has said the outrageous postage fees that some want to charge is killing off collecting for me.

Two things that I would like you to consider though is that what we are talking about here is a $US1.00 card!!Why can't a seller take a risk? Apart from the fact that I state in writing that I will hold no claim against him for loss or damage what is the full extent of the risk? At worst $1 + a couple of bucks postage? When I think about the number of cards I have given away not to mention covering the postage myself because I waat to help out a fellow collector you will excuse me for getting a bit snippy to someone who things we are trading the Town Hall clock.

Over $5?? OK tell me your postage rules and I will decide if I want to buy, under $5?? Come on guy - cut me some slack here!!

We ALL feel the pain Man! The amount of cards I pass on due to postage being more than the card is a LOT, but as an occasional seller (and have been burned!) I understand the problem. I just looked at a $2 card (postage $11) I'd like it but frustration is all I got LOL!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Problem is negative feedback is just a hit on a $1 card as it is on a $100 card. Sellers are so obsessed with perfect ratings as that's literally the only way to identify yourself. Buyers and sellers dont' have relationships anymore. It's bid pay move on. I try to send a quick note, even if it's jsut to let people know the card is on the way and rarely get a reply. The loss of the community is the biggest regret I have over the years.
The community, without big feedback rules and protection plans might have worked around alot of these issues ourselves, but we got crushed by the machine Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post