Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Captain America The First Avenger 1/1 Base Card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain America The First Avenger 1/1 Base Card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted
Anyone know anything about base cards from this set with the Avengers logo on them? I can't seem to recall anything about them, and Jeff Allender's checklist doesn't mention them:

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Is that an official Avengers logo? There are quite a few versions that come up, but I can't seem to find that particular one. It kind of looks like a bad foil job, but it seems to be the design. If you can find more like it, maybe you can trace it back to its origin. I've seen stamps added to regular cards afterwards as a way of marking them to certain events. Probably not that, but it just looks unique. I don't know why I couldn't find one like it in a logo search.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
All I know is it sold for over $20 on E-Bay, auctioned as a 1/1 with no further information and a number of bids.

Sort of a mystery.

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure this is a buyback parallel from Avengers Endgame.

Posts: 5415 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Jon is correct.

This is a "Buyback" card from Avengers Endgame/Captain Marvel.

They were fairly rare, but no information has been given as to if you can make a full set.

They are a nice novelty card, but really only desirable to character collectors based on each card.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
What is a 'buyback' card?
I never heard of that before.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That makes sense, its why the logo looks different than the more normally seen ones.

A "buyback" means that the card manufacturer took a card from a prior product that they supposedly "bought back" themselves, added something to it, like a seal or number or in this case that logo, and re-released it, often as a hit in a new product. Its now a rarer card than it was before.

Whether anyone is interested in it depends on what they added. If they added an autograph maybe. Card makers have gotten themselves in trouble a couple of times by adding autographs to "buyback" base cards and then forgetting to mark them as certified in some way. When that happens it is impossible to tell the genuine certified "buyback" card from any signed regular base card. So you know what happens then. Bad sellers label fakes the "buyback" auto and all the real cards get tainted because there is this doubt.

In general, I don't think anyone cares enough about a buyback card to make it worth much unless it does have an added auto or the original card itself is vintage and has value.
Adding a seal or logo probably won't do much for the average card collector.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
Strange I never heard of that policy before.
You do learn something new every day.
I just found, in my closet, about 55 unopened packs of CAPTAIN AMERICA THE FIRST AVENGER cards. I was opening boxes until I found either a sketch or an autograph, then not bothering to open the rest of the packs. You could easily tell where the patches were. Gee, I wonder what's in 'em?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One thing about the buyback I pulled from Topps 75th (Partridge Family) and a couple of others I've seen for sale is that they show some wear like they've been in someone's collection and maybe shuffled and stacked a number of times before longtime storage. I get the feeling that these cards weren't in the "vault." They may be extras from an older employee's collection.

Jess

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I know when the Marvel Masterpieces 2016 did buybacks, Upper Deck did indeed reach out to a dealer and buy several sets of 1992 Marvel Masterpieces.

So buying back does happen. I imagine some are from the vault as well, as might be the case with Endgame since the cards are newer and not likely full sets of any one release.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
All I know is it sold for over $20 on E-Bay, auctioned as a 1/1 with no further information and a number of bids.

While this isn't a card I'd collect it is pretty brilliant for a manufacturer to take a card that is worth $.10 max slap some foil on it and have it worth $20 on the secondary market.

I was surprised this was effective with the older sets i.e. 75th.

Based on the cost to value ratio I'd bet we'll see more and more of this.

Posts: 5415 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post