Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Insane BBC Exchange Transaction out of Canada
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insane BBC Exchange Transaction out of Canada
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Many of the big card titles of the 70s, 80s and early 90s were massively overproduced. They are not quite vintage either. They are just modern cards manufactured well beyond any demand, even now. It's not really surprising that pallets of this stuff might still be lying around in dark places.

So these are sealed boxes of uncirculated non-sport and wrestling cards, but they may or may not be in high grade condition. They shouldn't have handling damage obviously, but they still could have some of the bad printing defects of the era that would cause grading deductions.

It will take a while to find out if it will be a significant enough dump on the market to devalue any prices or increase the number of high grade slabs.

I don't know how much it might mean to Star Wars cards, because everyone already should know that there are millions out there. However it could be more impacting on GPK if rare cards are in the mix. Wrestling cards I don't know about at all.

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not being on social media the link does not open for me, it just goes to a log on screen. Can someone tell us what it is all about please.

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the tweets were deleted. I read them last night and don't remember the full details. They bought a huge collection of sealed sports and non-sports cards from a family in Canada that used to buy and sell trading cards (I think).

This is the only tweet that wasn't deleted:

quote:
frame. It has many items we have not had in a long time along with several items I know we have never had. There’s multiple pallets of non-sport including almost 500 boxes of Garbage Pail Kids, more than 100 boxes of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back and enough Wrestling to

Posts: 64 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's right, they haven't opened it up yet, but they mentioned 70s and 80s Star Wars, GPK and Wrestling sealed. I don't recall them saying anything about sports, unless you count Wrestling. Maybe at that time you could. Wink

Anyway they showed covered crates, presumably all cases of cards, and specifically mentioned some being OPC, which was always considered to be a rarer line than its TOPPS equivalent.

I've never used the Baseball Card Exchange but it says its the largest seller of vintage sealed boxes and packs. So I'm guessing they will be selling this stuff sealed and then whoever buys the boxes will break or not and it goes to the market from there.

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's funny that there continue to be big finds after all these years. It's more evidence of the huge amount of cards produced back then and how we hold onto stuff past the point of memory or life. On "American Pickers," the guys and Danielle are constantly visiting people whose collector parent has passed away and there's a warehouse/barn full of stuff to go through. A few times, I see some cards but not unopened boxes. It makes you wonder how many other times this has happened before but with sellers trying to quietly move what they have onto the market.

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's funny that there continue to be big finds after all these years. It's more evidence of the huge amount of cards produced back then and how we hold onto stuff past the point of memory or life.

I recall a story of a large Topps Star Wars card find back in the late 90's early 2000's. As I have stated in the past the sell sheet for Empire Strikes Back mentions over 100 million packs sold of the first 5 series. No matter how you calculate it, that is a ton of product.

Obviously there is a long term storage and gum factor to all of this.

What I don't understand about anything current is that any holder of mass (hot) product has had several years now to slowly drop things into the market at crazy premium prices. I would think that a seasoned card seller should know this.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post