Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Return of the MYSTERY BOX - Can we do it? What are your thoughts????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Return of the MYSTERY BOX - Can we do it? What are your thoughts????
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoffbovey:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
F.A.B.

......as in......"fabulous"??
Showing my age a bit here but no not 'fabulous'. 'Fab' was a term used a lot in the Sixties. Just as things that are really good these days are referred to as 'bad' back then something good was 'fab'. When Gerry Anderson created Thunderbirds he wanted them to have a catchy call sign/sign off, so took 'fab' and simply spelled it out as 'F', 'A', 'B'. The letters didn't actually stand for anything though several people have tried to come up with something.

The sign offs for some of his other series did mean something. 'P.W.O.R.' in Stingray was 'Proceed/Proceeding With Orders Received' and 'S.I.G.' in Captain Scarlet was 'Spectrum Is Green'. I can't remember what the equivalents were for Fireball XL5, Supercar or UFO.

Footnote: I'm fairly sure a Lady Penelope comic around in the Sixties was also called FAB.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
A return of the Mystery Box would be nice, as long as the postage is managable.

A promobox would also be cool.

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Footnote: I'm fairly sure a Lady Penelope comic around in the Sixties was also called FAB.

And the FAB Ice lolly Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The FAB ice lolly came with cards.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by geoffbovey:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
F.A.B.

......as in......"fabulous"??
Showing my age a bit here but no not 'fabulous'. 'Fab' was a term used a lot in the Sixties. Just as things that are really good these days are referred to as 'bad' back then something good was 'fab'.

so to anyone born after the 80's that means "cool" Big Grin Razz

Posts: 116 | Location: USA | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blackholeman
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to bring back "swell" myself....

And glad to hear the box is still a go! That's just swell!! Wave

Posts: 150 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
I've started a NEW thread and poll regarding the Mystery Boxes. It's called "The Return of the MYSTERY BOX - PART II". This link will take you there right away:

The Return of the MYSTERY BOX - PART II

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post