Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Independent Universe Collector Card set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Independent Universe Collector Card set
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I saw someone offering cards from the Independent Universe Collector card set (Dilemma Productions) said to be from the mid-90's. Jeff Allender's site lists it as a 90 card set but doesn't say where it comes from? Was it a factory set? Someone said the cards were in comics though 90 cards are a lot for a comic insert set. Does anyone know about this one?

Thanks,

Jess

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's some pictures, at least.

https://www.collectors.com/tra...-8484758667467460053

https://steemkr.com/art/@dirkh...hooper-10d58b05dc14e

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I've been collecting these one by one over the years and never knew it was a set of 90!!!!.
I 've never seen a set for sale but would love to own one.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, Chesspiece.

Jess

quote:

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

I've also been told that there is a Series 1 and 2 so I assume the 90 cards is a combination of the two.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I've been collecting these one by one over the years and never knew it was a set of 90!!!!.
I 've never seen a set for sale but would love to own one.

Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Series I is 90 cards and Series II is 60 cards (for a total of 150).

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Aeolus,

Wow. Do you know if these cards were comic book inserts? Were complete sets available to dealers?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
My understanding is that Series I is 90 cards and Series II is 60 cards (for a total of 150).

posted Hide Post
Hi Jess.

Honestly, I don’t really know the answer to your question. I got Series I as a complete set and just recently purchased Series II off of feeBay (also as a set) which I haven’t received yet. Over the years I’ve managed to acquire about a dozen single cards (all from Series I) so I’d have to imagine that they were available individually at some point?

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that, like the Spoof Comics promos, you could get the cards one-by-one from comics but also buy the full set. I still haven't seen a comic book that has these cards but it seems to be among several titles.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
Hi Jess.

Honestly, I don’t really know the answer to your question. I got Series I as a complete set and just recently purchased Series II off of feeBay (also as a set) which I haven’t received yet. Over the years I’ve managed to acquire about a dozen single cards (all from Series I) so I’d have to imagine that they were available individually at some point?

posted Hide Post
FYI - here's some additional information regarding The Independent Universe Collector Card Set - Series II (published by Dilemma Productions (c) 1996).

The set that I got off of feeBay came in a shrink-wrapped plastic case with a gold sticker depicting the Independent Universe logo (emblazoned in blue w/ a number "2") stating that there are 60 cards w/ the $7.95 price listed as part of the graphics. Compared to Series I, you would think that these were put out by a different company. This series of 60 cards has much higher production values than the first series and includes many cards in full color (a total of 33) along with completely different card back graphics.

There are 56 numbered cards, a unnumbered title card, a Comic Book Legal Defense Fund card (that doesn't mention Dilemma Productions) and two black & gold foil cards: (1) Golden Oldie Card #1 and (2) Bru-Hed (unnumbered).

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was one of the creators of this set and it is nice to see they are still highly collectible.

For the record:

The Independent Universe put out 2 card sets (before Topps did it). Which were release through Diamond Comics and Capital City.

The purpose of this was to unite Indie creators together with a common project. Creators received cards and uncut sheets of their own comics as well as others. These were not in sets so this is why you will see individual cards "out in the wild" from time to time.

Dilemma Productions produced another series of 9 character cards which were packaged with Dilemma Presents #4. Almost 25 years later we still get people asking for cards to complete these 3 sets.

Posts: 1 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post