Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    what has everyone been collecting lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what has everyone been collecting lately?
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted
I know that this year has been and will be quiet for me due to a lot of extra bills (medical bills, higher insurance due to my son is now driving) what is everyone else collecting right now? I have had to put new products on the back burner and not work on certain sets.
I am still slowly working on Downton Abbey, 2015 Marvel Fleer Retro (maybe start on 2013 at the end of the year) and always looking at cheap star trek autograph cards. What are you doing?

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Upper Deck Alien has been raping my wallet. But I already planned to go easy on Ghostbusters and Walking Dead so this will be my big set of the year. Smile

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
- Big Alien fan here loving Alien Anthology at the moment. A rare treat.
- Women of Bond auto cards released infrequently and the odd Bond full-bleed autos in new sets and old.
- RA's retro sets for my favourite Bond films.
- Need the base set for the upcoming Trek TNG portfolio series 2 and a couple of the Ortiz auto'd parallels. Great art.
- Always on the lookout for old dirt-cheap promos for The X-Files and Empire Strikes Back sets.
- X-Files IDW AP sketch cards.
- Random wants from years past like a Liam Neeson Batman auto with super cheap BIN. Still waiting for that one! Would love a Nancy Cartwright auto from Simpsons 10th Anniversary as well.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Definitely transitioning, still focused on autograph cards, but looking more backwards than forwards.

Will pick up this year's Game of Thrones in June. Had good luck filling a few major holes recently. This is the one title I am actively following.

Did more of Star Trek 50th than I expected, lots of good signers.

Breygent continues to put out attractive autograph cards, especially with the offbeat inscriptions and signed relics. I had to get a few of these.

Penny Dreadful cards were cheap and I watch the show, so that was good too.

At some point I do think I will chase at least some targeted Alien Anthology, but for now I am staying out of the hoopla stage.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Gerry Anderson. Would get the latest Cult Stuff releases but they seem to be much harder to find this year, not as many UK dealers stocking them.

Had to stop collecting USA releases, combination of exchange rate and postage charges just make them too expensive Frown .

Only sets from outside UK I go for now are the Perna's because there are no filler's, every sketch is quality.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Triple-Frog - can't you just bid less for USA cards?

Now international postage is getting absolutely ridiculous I certainly do not bid as hard as I used to. I happily walk away from a lot more auctions/BINs where the total price is tipped over into "too much" by p&p.

I may miss out on more but I'm certainly not paying more either, even with the postage rises.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I've got rid of more than I've picked up this past year. Picked up some single cards to fill gaps in things like Game of Thrones, X-Men Origins and Eureka and began to pick up a card or two from Parks and Recreation, but they've all been <£20 purchases. I got a box of Thrones about 10 months ago, too.

My interest has mainly settled on autograph cards rather than sets as a whole. I'm on more of a budget than ever since I started collecting while most sets seem to be going the opposite way and it's really dissuaded me from collecting them in full. Game of Thrones feels designed to be a pick-and-choose affair rather than completest which is great for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Buffy set and The Walking Dead. I only began watching that one in March and finished it recently, so my attention's quickly turned to it. Interested to see what Orphan Black comes out with too.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I'm actually working on selling most of my collection, and won't buy anything else until Game of Thrones 5 when I will get the quotable cards and the Sand Snakes autographs (no boxes this year). I will also grab a few more Force Awakens autographs when the Chrome set comes out and then probably nothing else until Rogue One in December.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by X:

I do bid less but then I don't win them! I tended to buy mainly boxes/cases and that is where I have seen the biggest rise in charges, both postal and customs, which have been magnified by the exchange rate.

I have also noticed in the past year that virtually everything I buy from the USA is getting a customs charge whereas it used to be about one in ten packages. The customs charge is bad enough but the Royal Mail fee for every package is what really hurts with low value cards.

Easier to concentrate on cards produced in the UK where there are no extra costs.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by X:

I do bid less but then I don't win them! I tended to buy mainly boxes/cases and that is where I have seen the biggest rise in charges, both postal and customs, which have been magnified by the exchange rate.

I have also noticed in the past year that virtually everything I buy from the USA is getting a customs charge whereas it used to be about one in ten packages. The customs charge is bad enough but the Royal Mail fee for every package is what really hurts with low value cards.

Easier to concentrate on cards produced in the UK where there are no extra costs.

Don't want to jinx it but I have only been hit for customs on a card once, maybe twice. I can't imagine how much of a ballache that is if you get it regularly.

Not buying them myself, I didn't think of cases/boxes. Bet shipping is a killer from abroad on them.

I have just asked an eBay seller about their shipping rates on some cards (inexpensive singles), asking if it is a mistake because they are quoting $50+ ....Nope! And they are not willing to budge. But I have bought several cards this week from the US and been charged between $2-$15. But $50?!?
I guess it makes more sense for this seller to just keep lowering their BIN prices because stuff is going unsold (which is what has been happening).

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Originally was gonna say "nuthin'" but then I remembered I ordered a box/binder of Space:1999 from Unstoppable cards (and may get their UFO release).

And, technically, I guess, I'm still collecting the free promo cards from RA.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Breygent continues to put out attractive autograph cards, especially with the offbeat inscriptions and signed relics. I had to get a few of these.

Raven, have you been watching the SDCC Bates Motel dual piecework/auto cards?

I had to jump on a set even though I had little interest in the overall release. Wink

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Raven, have you been watching the SDCC Bates Motel dual piecework/auto cards?

I had to jump on a set even though I had little interest in the overall release. Wink

No, I picked up on a few of the single autographs and a couple of auto/costume cards from the regular release. Nothing from the SDCC packs, so I haven't been watching them.

The signed cards from both Bates and American Horror are really outstanding. My own issue is that I don't watch those shows, so I know some of the actors from their other work, but I have no connection to a lot of the rest of the cast as actors and I don't know the characters they play at all.

The titles hold me back from buying more, but the inscriptions, different ink colors and the fact that the signatures are on-card really make Breygent products stand out. I have a lot of Dexter because I watched that and the cards were always very good, but these newer titles look even better.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I haven't been getting much new, but have been catching up on older sets- missing base cards, some inserts, even a few Star Trek 1976 stickers. I really want to get a set of Trek 50th Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

The signed cards from both Bates and American Horror are really outstanding. My own issue is that I don't watch those shows, so I know some of the actors from their other work, but I have no connection to a lot of the rest of the cast as actors and I don't know the characters they play at all.

Bates Motel was a little slow going the first season and a half but it is in full on psycho mode now. I re-watched the movie series after I saw the first season to see what was borrowed or had an influence. The five or six lead characters are going to be remembered with this series for quite some time I think. I highly recommend. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
Losing my job in September but the brakes on any cards sets I hadn't already paid for. I have mostly just been working on what I can trade for. I have a little money saved for the Chicago show and I will try to get base sets and some inserts from sets I had to pass on, such as Bates Motel, Arrow, and Sons of Anarchy Seasons 6&7. I am starting a part-time job next week but my card budget is next to non-existant.

The last set I opened was Supernatural S4-6. I would love to finish up Downton Abbey, Tudors or the True Blood sets.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Been working on building up my Harry Potter and Star Trek collections. Jumping around the different sets but don't think I can ever complete any complete sets. Just buying cards I like from these two properties!

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle | Registered: April 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Two sets I was looking forward to collecting for many years, but have been abruptly stopped is Once Upon a Time (Cryptozoic) and Marvel's Agents of Shield (Rittenhouse). I can only assume the license's haven't been renewed because Disney doesn't like other people handling their properties. Such a shame.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Happy with my Aliens break! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed Dexter seasons 7/8.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post