Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Printing Plates - Scan or no?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing Plates - Scan or no?
 Login/Join

posted
A graphic designer saw one of my printing plates from the "Avengers: Kree-Skrull War" release and commented that they shouldn't be scanned. I had never heard of this and have scanned printing plates before. Has anyone heard of this? Should I not scan my printing plates? Any help would be appreciated.

- Sherrie Wavey

Posts: 15 | Location: Outside Chicago, IL | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have scanned plenty of printing plates, never had a problem.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Did he say why you shouldn't scan them?? Confused

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Maybe the thought is it would make it easier to counterfeit a card (you'd need all four though)? I'm just thinking out loud though. It would be unlikely that you would upload a print-ready scan to the web though, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't know. Interesting question.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I spoke to a friend who is in the printing business and she told me the intense light can bleed out the image on the plate, depending on the inks that are used.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Packrat
posted Hide Post
I've scanned tons of plates before and never had a problem.

Jason

Posts: 25 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gregore
posted Hide Post
Being an printer way back when, I can say that most printing plates are light sensitive. However, if the plate has been exposed and finished properly it should not be a big problem. The big concern would be the plate going blank or losing all detail as it ages. Plates properly handled will hold an image and can be printed with for years. Only time will tell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gregore,

Posts: 89 | Location: Earth - I'm told | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies. As I said, I've scanned them before with no problem, so I'll keep on scanning. Elephant

Posts: 15 | Location: Outside Chicago, IL | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that ALL printing plates will eventually fade away even when exposed to normal lighting? I only have a couple but I don't want them to dissapear!

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post