Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Doctor Who Commemorative 50th Anniversary Cards in Blu-ray?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who Commemorative 50th Anniversary Cards in Blu-ray?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Are there non-Combo Blue Rays ?

Nope. There's only 2 versions: the 3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray/DVD combo pack and the DVD alone.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like the Combo packs do. They have both the DVD and the Blue Ray in them

Are there non-Combo Blue Rays ?

The release in the UK is a single Blu-Ray disc that plays both 2D and 3D versions depending what player you've got. I'll check to see if it's region-free.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Does the UK release have the cards????

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Don't know. I hope it's going to be a Christmas prezzie Wink

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be the bringer of doom but if you read a lot of the reviews on the UK Amazon, the Blu-Ray has terrible transfer, something to do with the speed it was originally broadcast at had to be slowed down for the Blu-Ray release. Someone more technical than me will understand that.
If you've seen it originally on TV then the Blu-Ray will look a different quality. Unless later editions have been rectified. Apparently this is not unusual to have these problems with BBC Blu-Rays.

Personally speaking I don't know what all the fuss is about with Blu-Ray...it's not that fantastic. Roll Eyes As long as you can see a good clear picture that's all that matters. I won't be conned into getting rid of my DVDs to replace them with slightly more expensive Blu-Rays...and therefore buying the same films again. Yes...I'm a stone age cynic, and proud. Big Grin

Posts: 423 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just a few years ago, there were all of these predictions that Blue Ray would replace DVDs, and that they'd stop making the latter

From what I can see, that doesn't seem to be the case. Go to Target and other stores, and they have many more DVDs than Blue Ray. Especially the kids' shows and the old TV shows. They are almost all on DVD, not Blue Ray

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Just a few years ago, there were all of these predictions that Blue Ray would replace DVDs, and that they'd stop making the latter

From what I can see, that doesn't seem to be the case. Go to Target and other stores, and they have many more DVDs than Blue Ray. Especially the kids' shows and the old TV shows. They are almost all on DVD, not Blue Ray

That's very true. Some new TV shows such as A Young Doctor's Notebook are only released on DVD with no Blu-Ray too. And most laptops have a DVD drive not Blu-Ray. The DVD is not dead yet. Big Grin

Posts: 423 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there this controversy that one of the major U.S. film studios (Sony, perhaps ?) was only going to release its new movies on Blue Ray, and not DVD ? I think it had something to do with one of the Spider-Man films. What happened with that ? They backed off and changed their mind ?

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to a dozen targets and Best buys and was told that they do not carry this DVD-- none of their stores do--with or without the cards

I got the Blu-ray at Best Buy today. It was on one of their new releases displays. It was $24.99.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dstrohmeng:
quote:
I went to a dozen targets and Best buys and was told that they do not carry this DVD-- none of their stores do--with or without the cards

I got the Blu-ray at Best Buy today. It was on one of their new releases displays. It was $24.99.

I saw the Blu-Ray at Best Buy but it didn't say anything about the cards so I didn't buy it. Did the one you bought say anything on the package?

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
quote:
Originally posted by dstrohmeng:
quote:

I saw the Blu-Ray at Best Buy but it didn't say anything about the cards so I didn't buy it. Did the one you bought say anything on the package?

Yep, all four copies had the sticker. It looks the same as Jason00's picture on the first page. I will add that I went to three Best Buys and only one had it. I saw it at Barnes & Noble, but it was missing the slipcover. I could hear the pack sliding around inside though. If you don't care about having the slipcover, that's an option. From my experience, the B&N stores throw out a lot of the slipcovers, but if you order from their site, you should get it.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Does the UK release have the cards????
The copy I received as a welcome Christmas Pressie Clap did not have any cards in it Frown It was bought from Amazon.co.uk but I imagine it will be the same wherever you buy it in the UK.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Did anyone ever get a spare set of these cards for trade? Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post