Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Doctor Who Commemorative 50th Anniversary Cards in Blu-ray?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who Commemorative 50th Anniversary Cards in Blu-ray?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere (I haven't seen it)....I saw a post on Facebook from an artist friend who said there was a pack of trading cards in his Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Blu-ray. Apparently, these aren't supposed to be out until tomorrow but his local store had them out early. He posted the photo below. Has this been discussed??

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This is the first I have seen of these.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
New to me

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I didn't think I had seen this mentioned anywhere myself either.

It's kind of funny that after all these years of us asking for Doctor Who cards and card companies telling us the BBC are difficult to work with from a licensing standpoint, the BBC up and did a trading cards themselves! I'll be curious to hear what is in these packs and if they're all the same or there's a whole series to collect. I might just have to buy the Blu-ray now.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is probably the BBC testing the water to see if there is any money in them doing a set themselves. Dr Who merchandise is one of their biggest cash cows and you can be sure they will milk it for all it's worth Razz .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
No mention of these on Amazon - anybody know if UK editions have the cards?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Knowing our luck - the cards will only be available in the US. Frown

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
According to a friend of mine, they are cards of all the Doctors minus Capaldi. I can confirm it as soon as my copy arrives from Amazon on Wednesday morning.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just got into Doctor Who about a month ago (sad I know). All the hype surrounding the 50th anniversary got me interested. And I really do enjoy it, the new series that is. I think I need to see them in order though. Sometimes right from the very beginning of an episode I'm completely lost. My favorite episode I've seen so far is "Blink" with the Weeping Angels - very cool. I wish they made an a complete series DVD box set of the originals. I have yet to see any of those episodes. Maybe there is a box set in the UK, but in the US the originals are pretty much only available 1 or 2 episodes per DVD and they're very pricey. Putting the whole run together would cost a fortune, if you can even find them all. I thought they would have released an all encompassing set for the 50th anniversary but maybe in time they will. I already have my eye on that blu-ray set of the new series but I'm going to wait until the price comes down a bit. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I am very much interested in seeing these cards also. Big Grin

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
My set arrived today, the cards are standard size and form a puzzle. The puzzle is 6 wide and 2 tall, but I don't have enough desk space to stretch it out like that. They are also made by Topps. Here are the pics:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason00,

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice set

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those do look very nice, I would like a set of those.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Very nice - I note that it is Topps US and not Topps UK who have made these.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Off to Best Buy I go....

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
I bought my 3D + blu-ray + DVD Combo at Barnes & Noble and there wasn't anything on the wrapper to indicate that there was a pack of cards inside...but there was. What a nice surprise. As stated there are 12 cards to the pack. Maybe you have to buy the show in the 3D + blu-ray + DVD Combo version to get them OR they might be in all versions. Maybe someone who bought just the DVD version can say if they got the cards too,...anyone else who bought just the DVD get them?

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
try amazon

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a dozen targets and Best buys and was told that they do not carry this DVD-- none of their stores do--with or without the cards

I am reluctant to order the DVD from Amazon, as the ones they show do not have the sticker saying there are cards inside

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Combo from Barnes and Noble today (they only had 1 copy) for $ 15, and it did, indeed, contain a pack of the cards. Although there was no mention of it on the Blue Ray / DVD case

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought my 3D + blu-ray + DVD Combo at Barnes & Noble and there wasn't anything on the wrapper to indicate that there was a pack of cards inside...but there was. What a nice surprise.

I'm guessing that's because the sticker is on the slipcover. For some reason, Barnes & Noble removes and discards most slipcovers. You wouldn't be able to get one of their security price tags off a slipcover without ruining it anyway.

It's strange that Best Buy claims that they don't carry it. They actually had a one week exclusivity on it before the general release.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Combo packs do. They have both the DVD and the Blue Ray in them

Are there non-Combo Blue Rays ?