Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Value of Mars Attacks 1st Day?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Mars Attacks 1st Day?
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
I've recently acquired a very large collection of various non-sports cards, and within the 1994 Topps Mars Attacks cards, I found a complete set of the 1st Day stamped cards, as well as a partial set (missing #36), and an assortment of other singles. However I need assistance in determining the value of the complete set, as the only listing I can find for one was a 'best offer accepted' listing off of eBay.

Posts: 4 | Location: St. Catharines | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the value of those but I can tell you the best offer that was accepted for the set was $430. Single cards seem to sell for anywhere between $5 and $20. Good luck!

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing that out Logan! I had no idea you could find the accepted 'Best Offer' price on an item on eBay. I might try shooting for $500 and see what happens, given the lack of complete sets advertised.

Posts: 4 | Location: St. Catharines | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think those cards came 3 per box

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I also saw a factory set of 1st day cards. . . years ago a local comic shop that had tons of cards had it. . . I kick myself for not buying it, I think they were asking $75.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping here because, a few days ago, I saw a factory set of 1st Day cards offered for $1200. That's way too hopeful though I haven't seen one sell since the early 2000's so it will be interesting if it does move. Like Jon said, you could get one for around $100 or less when it was new. Dealers got them for free somehow and they were happy to make a quick sale. There was also a rare autographed set that was available too.

The 1st Day singles were 4 per box and they were easy to get through dealers so I was able to build a set within a year. I sold it in the early 2000's but don't remember for how much but it was probably something like $150-200. Today, you might pay $4-5 each but you can still find lots of 4-6 cards as low as $10 if you wait for them. Recently, I saw a set offered for $400 go unsold so it might be more of a $250-300 kind of thing these days. Most of the serious and casual Mars Attacks collectors already have it so if a seller decides to hold out for top dollar, it might be a long wait.

In another thread we talk about a seller once offering a very rare promo for $400 but getting no takers for at least two years. The seller recently lowered the price to $300 but ended up taking a Best Offer yesterday. I think this set is going to go sell similarly.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I also saw a factory set of 1st day cards. . . years ago a local comic shop that had tons of cards had it. . . I kick myself for not buying it, I think they were asking $75.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post